No announcement yet.

Is space-based sci-fi on TV dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Four years is a relatively short run. Point is, all of the space-based TV shows have ended or been cancelled. The economy is also a factor given that science-fiction shows are expensive to produce. While I don't think we'll be seeing a new space show any time soon, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect another Star Trek or Stargate. Granted, that's assuming the studio is interested.

Comment

Four years on cable, and for a space based tv show, is an enormous success, especially when the show in question was awful. We're not talking about Farscape or Firefly here; we're talking about BSG. I can't even begin to imagine what 85 episodes of Firefly would have been like.

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
        Four years on cable, and for a space based tv show, is an enormous success, especially when the show in question was awful.
        Four years is still four years, and four years is generally a short run for a TV show.

We're not talking about Farscape or Firefly here; we're talking about BSG.
        Never watched a whole Farscape nor BSG episode. Not sure what you mean here...

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
        I can't even begin to imagine what 85 episodes of Firefly would have been like.
        Why 85? Why not 72 or 93?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          Four years is still four years, and four years is generally a short run for a TV show.
          Four years sounds about right for a fairly successful genre type show. Most last just like one or two seasons.

Never watched a whole Farscape nor BSG episode. Not sure what you mean here...
          As far as quality goes, Farscape was right up there with Firefly.

Why 85? Why not 72 or 93?
          I selected that number because that's how many episodes BSG got. Thats enough episodes to put the show into syndication.

Comment

I don't care if a show is a genre show or not. I care if it's entertaining and if it had a short or long run. To me, four years is short regardless of what kind of show it is. From the clips I've seen on YouTube, I can't imagine Farscape could ever hold a candle to Firefly. It may be entertaining, but part of Firefly's appeal was down to Earth and relate-able characters. Wasn't everyone on Farscape an alien except for Crichton?

Comment

Farscape was brilliant, probably the best sci-fi series ever made imo. It had great plots, fun characters and an interesting universe.

Comment

If it's so popular, why have most people never heard of it?

Comment

Umm, most people who are 20+ and are willing to give any scifi a go *know of* -at the very least- of Farscape.

Edit.
                  Just out of curiosity, have you ever watched "the greatest american hero"?
                  Last edited by Gatefan1976; 09 December 2012, 06:46 PM.
                  sigpic
                  ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                  A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                  The truth isn't the truth

Comment

From the clips I've seen on YouTube, I can't imagine Farscape could ever hold a candle to Firefly.
                    So long as we're imagining the appeal of shows we've never actually watched ... I can't imagine that Firefly could ever hold a candle to Farscape, either.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hmmm. Most people I know have heard of it.

Has anyone here heard anything more about Sy Fy's remake of Blakes 7? That will be a space based show if it gets off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post
                        Has anyone here heard anything more about Sy Fy's remake of Blakes 7? That will be a space based show if it gets off the ground.
                        I haven't heard anything, but I'm hoping it's true.
                        I fear that there will never be another really good space based show
                        no means no, and so does pepper spray
                        Sig by The Carpenter
                        sigpic

Comment

I don't care if a show is a genre show or not. I care if it's entertaining and if it had a short or long run. To me, four years is short regardless of what kind of show it is. From the clips I've seen on YouTube, I can't imagine Farscape could ever hold a candle to Firefly. It may be entertaining, but part of Firefly's appeal was down to Earth and relate-able characters. Wasn't everyone on Farscape an alien except for Crichton?
                          Four years for a bad show on the syfy channel is amazing.

Two humans, four aliens, and two puppets. Brilliant villians. Awesome show.

Comment

Yes, though Aeryn was close enough to pass as a human. But just because they aren't humans doesn't mean they aren't relatable. Pilot and Rygel (the two puppet main characters) were probably my favorites.

Comment

I wish there was a new space opera to look forward to
                              sigpic
                              My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                              poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                                I wish there was a new space opera to look forward to
                                me too.

oh, i know, how about a series based on a team that travels to other planets and goes through a huge round thingermabob to do it? sounds cool, eh?
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X