No announcement yet.

The Hobbit : Discussion/News/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet! Although I have yet to read The Hobbit I don't mind some new stuff that can connect to the LOTR movies.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      Casting news....Cate Blanchett will be back as Galadriel, while Sylvester McCoy will be playing Radagast.

Galadriel's return is a bit of an odd one, considering she wasn't in the book. The site linked above suggests they may be padding out the story with bits from The Sil and/or Unfinished Tales. That's interesting.
      I like this. There's a lot of backstory with the Silmarillion or the Unfinished Tales that they could pick and choose from to insert. I'm curious what they're going to do with Galadriel. Perhaps the White Council meeting alluding to the Ring (before Saruman turned evil) or perhaps her visiting Rivendell for some reason?
      sigpic

Comment

Another hurdle....hurdled

Warner Bros Taking WW Distribution (And Paying For) 'The Hobbit'

BREAKING: MGM and Warner Bros have finalized a deal that gives Warner Bros worldwide theatrical distribution on the Peter Jackson-directed The Hobbit. MGM will retain international television rights. This solves another problem on Jackson's eagerly awaited followup to The Lord of the Rings, which has overcome an MGM freeze because of angry creditors, and the threat that the films would move away from New Zealand after local unions blacklisted the production.

Shooting begins next month, and Jackson is still in the process of locking in cast from the original movie, which is expected to include Ian McKellen's Gandalf, Andy Serkis' Gollum, and others. MGM, a half partner in The Hobbit, was expected to bow out of its international distribution role because the studio came out of prepackaged bankruptcy--headed by Spyglass partners Roger Birnbaum and Gary Barber--with the intention of initially reviving the studio as a production company that contracts out distribution and marketing to others. Still trying to figure out how MGM is paying for its part of a production budget pegged at north of $500 million. Suspicions were that Warner Bros was cash-flowing the film.

UPDATE: I've learned that Warner Bros will, in fact, pay the entire cost of the two installments of The Hobbit, a price-tag that is expected to exceed $500 million. Now, the question will be which cast members from The Lord of the Rings come back for encores. I've heard talk of conversations with Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis and possibly Elijah Wood. I'd heard Orlando Bloom was also in talks before the holidays. Returning actors will need to be locked in shortly.
        http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/warn...on-the-hobbit/
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Plenty more news...

Andy Serkis and Ian McKellen confirmed as being in the film

Frodo will be back, and Blastr suspects they know how (potential spoilers)
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Suhweet!

Comment

Christopher Lee in talks to return as Saruman

I think that Council meeting to discuss the Ring is sounding more and more likely!

Comment

I'm glad Lee is in talks, as I thought his returning wasn't likely because he hates flying. So glad to see they are talking to him about it.

It's a bit sad that "if he's in good health" was mentioned, as it makes me bit worried he'll now die before getting to do the role. I'm usually one to complain about canon, but I would like as many LOTR characters to return as possible even if they weren't in the book so I'll be looking forward to seeing him before he turned to the dark side.

sigpic

Comment

Well, it's not really canon-breaking. Sure it wasn't written as part of The Hobbit, but if it's the Council meeting then it's most definitely part of the Legendarium.

Comment

Well I don't mean breaking canon in the sense of Star Trek XI, but more along the lines of putting in characters who aren't there originally. Galadriel wasn't in the book, Saruman wasn't in the book, Legolas wasn't in the book, Frodo wasn't in the book, yet they are talking to the actors in order to fit them into the film.

However it is my understanding that they want to split the film in two, so are using aspects of Silmarillion so it lets them use Saruman and Galadriel as if I remember right, Silmarillion describes a White Council meeting that took place during The Hobbit, despite not being in the book. So breaking canon is probably a poor choice of words, but I think you get my meaning.

sigpic

Comment

I think it was actually mentioned in the LOTR Appendices rather than The Sil or Unfinished Tales. It does take place during The Hobbit, when Gandalf inexplicably (at the time) disappears for a while. Doesn't seem to me that it'd be that hard to work in.

Comment

To be honest, I don't care how much the movie adds things that are not in the book, seeing the LOTR film characters again is great!

Comment

i hope this movie actually gets made, i've been hoping for it since the lotr's movies came out. i wouldn't mind if they added somethings to the book, but showing characters such as frodo and sam wouldn't make sense since they weren't alive yet.
                          Last edited by blueray; 14 January 2011, 01:39 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

I hope they don't make this movies 3D...
                            The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Comment

Originally posted by RJLCyberPunk View Post
                              they will both be in 3D

Comment

Originally posted by RJLCyberPunk View Post
                                No movie is safe from 3D anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X