Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Flyattractor View Post
    Drama = Cheap TV.

Thats why Producers like the more Emotional apsects being added to sci fi.

Girls eat that crap up.
    Good character interaction, and the exploration of the gravity of the situation is harder to write than 'pew pew pew, kaboom, RUN AWAY'.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
      Good character interaction, and the exploration of the gravity of the situation is harder to write than 'pew pew pew, kaboom, RUN AWAY'.
      I would agree if what I saw being written could be called "Good Character interaction,and exploration of the gravity of the situation" rather then whiney emo nonsence.

and "pew pew kaboom" is what is called FUN. Something that is missing from a good chunk of the modern genre.

Althouh back in MY day. Ray Guns didn't go "pew pew".
      I like Sharky
      sigpic

Comment

I would agree if what I saw being written could be called "Good Character interaction,and exploration of the gravity of the situation" rather then whiney emo nonsence.

and "pew pew kaboom" is what is called FUN. Something that is missing from a good chunk of the modern genre.

Althouh back in MY day. Ray Guns didn't go "pew pew".
        Fun has it's place, but what's wrong with intelligent drama? Drama isn't a BAD thing - I'd call 'Spooks' an espionage-drama, even CSI is a crime drama. Action alone gets tedious after a while, and that's why SGA bugs me.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
          As a middle-aged fan of realistic science fiction genres I am a bit disappointed in the heavy element of what I would call a "teeny bopper" element in the Canadian-American shows such as Warehouse 13, Continuum and Alphas.
          I guess they have sacrificed realism to targeting an audience under 40. Why do they have to have the majority of main characters young women just out of their teens??
          Warehouse 13 only has one young woman in the cast....Leena I think doesn't quite count. The actress is a mother for crying out loud. Alphas you might have a point in only that I have to ask why can't you have the young girl with the hyper sensitive nose? And I guess having a 20 year old young man isn't a problem for you, but I can't blame you since Gary is a pretty awesome character. The other woman is in her thirties I think. I never saw her as a twenty year old, but I am sure the actress can appreciate the compliment.

As for realism, I doubt that all alphas will be fifty year old men. Claudia in WH13 is a foil for Artie (Artie is old and grumpy, Claudia is the young hyper kid). Myka is much too old to be a "young woman" and Leena's age is in the air, but just because she looks attractive doesn't mean she must be in her twenties. I can't speak for continuum though, since I have not seen it.

Not to say that there aren't shows that push teens a bit too much in an unrealistic fashion. But to be honest, I can't really think of them right now.

Oh how could I forget that young genious and the little boy in the original Battlestar Galactica! Oh wait, they are boys. Nevermind.
          By Nolamom
          sigpic

Comment

Fun has it's place, but what's wrong with intelligent drama? Drama isn't a BAD thing - I'd call 'Spooks' an espionage-drama, even CSI is a crime drama. Action alone gets tedious after a while, and that's why SGA bugs me.
            I don't have any problem with those shows....its when they take a show that wasn't that way and they MAKE it over to be that way....then I have a problem with it...

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
            Warehouse 13 only has one young woman in the cast....Leena I think doesn't quite count. The actress is a mother for crying out loud. Alphas you might have a point in only that I have to ask why can't you have the young girl with the hyper sensitive nose? And I guess having a 20 year old young man isn't a problem for you, but I can't blame you since Gary is a pretty awesome character. The other woman is in her thirties I think. I never saw her as a twenty year old, but I am sure the actress can appreciate the compliment.

As for realism, I doubt that all alphas will be fifty year old men. Claudia in WH13 is a foil for Artie (Artie is old and grumpy, Claudia is the young hyper kid). Myka is much too old to be a "young woman" and Leena's age is in the air, but just because she looks attractive doesn't mean she must be in her twenties. I can't speak for continuum though, since I have not seen it.

Not to say that there aren't shows that push teens a bit too much in an unrealistic fashion. But to be honest, I can't really think of them right now.

Oh how could I forget that young genious and the little boy in the original Battlestar Galactica! Oh wait, they are boys. Nevermind.
            And I don't really get the "Teeny Bopper" feel from W13. Sure its Quirky and Fun with some OT style drama but never any real heavy drama.
            I like Sharky
            sigpic

Comment

I don't have any problem with those shows....its when they take a show that wasn't that way and they MAKE it over to be that way....then I have a problem with it...

And I don't really get the "Teeny Bopper" feel from W13. Sure its Quirky and Fun with some OT style drama but never any real heavy drama.
              WH13 is a fun show, that's how I describe it. It has enough seriousness to keep it logical, but other than that, it is a show you watch just to relax a little, laugh a little, and get that "touching" moment every once in awhile.
              By Nolamom
              sigpic

Comment

WH13 is a fun show, that's how I describe it. It has enough seriousness to keep it logical, but other than that, it is a show you watch just to relax a little, laugh a little, and get that "touching" moment every once in awhile.
                What I consider to be a "Teeny Bopper Show"
                Buffy
                Angel
                Hex
                Skins
                Dr.WHO under the RTD era.

Shows that have that "light hearted feel" but then drown it out with over the top soap opra melodramatics.
                I like Sharky
                sigpic

Comment

Buffy
                  Angel
                  Hex
                  Skins

Shows that have that "light hearted feel" but then drown it out with over the top soap opra melodramatics.
                  Ok....

Buffy - unashamedly so. But it's AIMED at teenagers to emphasise that high-school is hell, TPTB of Buffy even said that. It's meant to be Sweet Valley High - plus vampires.

Angel - I'd disagree with that. It was dark and broody, but not like Buffy if you ask me.

Can;t comment on Hex.

Skins is pure pathetic drivel.

RTDs DW... I hated the Rose crap so...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Buffy
                    Angel
                    Hex
                    Skins

I think all of fandom hated the Rose thing with the Doctor...which is why I never liked the Amy "does she like like him or not" thing either.

I've seen like three episodes of that...yeah teeny it a good word But that's fantasy not Sci Fi.

Don't know the other three.
                    By Nolamom
                    sigpic

Comment

RTDs DW... I hated the Rose crap so...
                      I think all of fandom hated the Rose thing with the Doctor...which is why I never liked the Amy "does she like like him or not" thing either.

[/COLOR]
                      Most guys I know give Rose's character a pass mainly because she looks good in tight jeans but god her personality made me want to listen to Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround sound of nails on a chalkboard 24/7 then listen to her for one minute,but I can't decide if she is worse then Donna or not.

I mean WTF were they thinking when they created her character!?
                      I like Sharky
                      sigpic

Comment

Most guys I know give Rose's character a pass mainly because she looks good in tight jeans but god her personality made me want to listen to Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround sound of nails on a chalkboard 24/7 then listen to her for one minute,but I can't decide if she is worse then Donna or not.

I mean WTF were they thinking when they created her character!?
                        I wouldn't go that far and hey, Donna was cool. The only companion that didn't have a love interest in the Doctor btw. I am sure hoping that the new companion will be the same in that respect.
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't go that far and hey, Donna was cool. The only companion that didn't have a love interest in the Doctor btw. I am sure hoping that the new companion will be the same in that respect.
                          Donna had cool moments but at the same time my mind kept screaming..."She is 40 years old and acting like a F-ing 19 year old!!!!" Just Grow the F Up Donna....Sheesh.
                          I like Sharky
                          sigpic

Comment

Donna had cool moments but at the same time my mind kept screaming..."She is 40 years old and acting like a F-ing 19 year old!!!!" Just Grow the F Up Donna....Sheesh.
                            The Doctor is thousands of years old and acts like a five year old at times....many times....most of the time. To be honest, I didn't see her behavior as imature. Oh well.

Also, how could I forget the First Doctor's teeny bopper granddaughter! The Classic of the Classic Who had a teeny bopper. Some teenage kid trying to act like other teenage kids on earth by taking them silly earth science class and disrespecting the teacher But I imagine that the OP would include this as one of the cases of a teeny bopper sci fi show had Dr. Who premiered today instead of decades ago.

Space cases is major teeny bopper too (and from the 90's!) But then again...it is a show meant for real life teenies.

Then there's Lost In Space. They had those Jody, Penny, and Will Robinson. But the point of a family is that there are children involved...but it could have been an all grown up family.

Doesn't Star Wars count? I mean...19 year old Luke and Lea in "A New Hope" and they were early twenties by "Return of The Jedi." Lea even got to be put into a very um...interesting bikini Since fandom hates the prequels I won't mention them >.> But I just did! Little Anakin was in the 1990's though So much for them good ol' days. But he is a boy... I forget, do males count as teeny boppers that ruin realistic sci fi?

*shakes fist in air* Darn you George Lucas!!!!

Okay, this is just me having fun. We do have sci fi's that do the teeny bopper thing to the horror of all of us (I don't count fantasies since the OP is about sci fi). I just don't think it's that far spread and there might just be, what someone else has said, hints of sexism and ageism here.
                            By Nolamom
                            sigpic

Comment

The Doctor is thousands of years old and acts like a five year old at times....many times....most of the time. To be honest, I didn't see her behavior as imature. Oh well..
                              At least the Doctor wasn't living at home with his parents and could hold down a job.
                              I like Sharky
                              sigpic

Comment

At least the Doctor wasn't living at home with his parents and could hold down a job.
                                The Doctor can hold down a job...?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X