Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introduced my son to the classic writer Jules Verne - who do you recommend & why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would definitely recommend the Mysterious Island, but it looks like he's already figured that out. Other Jules Verne books that I enjoyed were Five Weeks in a Balloon, From the Earth to the Moon, and Around the Moon.

If he likes classic lit in general, I highly recommend the Sherlock Holmes stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. He may also enjoy Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson.

If he's into sci-fi, I have a few recs there as well:
    Have Spacesuit, Will Travel - Robert Heinlein
    Citizen of the Galaxy - same
    Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
    He can continue reading other books by Jules Verne. Some recommendations:

Journey to the Center of the Earth
    Around the World in 80 Days
    The Mysterious Island
    Ooh, I second those.
    || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

For a kid... hmm...

Well I second Ender's Game. Very much so.

And quite frankly, would reccomend Starship Troopers, The Forever War, Jurassic Park, and of course, His Dark Materials.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

nice call on Jurassic Park Pieboy
        sigpic
        Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

Originally posted by LT. COL. John Sheppard View Post
          nice call on Jurassic Park Pieboy
          I *will* come after you. -_-

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

and throw pies at me like a clown?
            sigpic

Comment

Wow - my son was beyond annoyed how much they changed the plot line of 20, 000 Leagues Under the Sea for the Disney Movie!

He wouldn't even watch the more recent Michael Caine one that came out a few years ago. Just read the back of the DVD movie and rolled his eyes in disgust. He shook his head and said -

"Mom the book says all of Captain Nemo's family died...kind of crucial to his character development. That book is a masterpiece as it is - why did they change Jules Verne's story so much?"

Comment

Well, good thing he's getting jaded to the movie industry early on
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I would definitely recommend more Jules Verne if he enjoyed Leagues.
                  sigpic

Comment

Perhaps H.G Wells.
                    sigpic
                    Save a Man-of-War, ride a Commodore.

Comment

Oh yeah. The Time Machine is pretty good, and the 1960s movie while not completely faithful to the book is pretty memorable. I saw it in the 1980s when I was about 12, some scenes still stay with me, and it's not even the gruesome ones (or scenes I found gruesome at 12). But it's definitely worth reading the book!

I must admit that I found Frankenstein very long-winded (perhaps because the book was written in longhand with a quill) and didn't like having the moral of the story pounded into me at every turn and particularly at the end. But it may be somewhat bragworthy to say you've read a book that's nearly 200 years old, first published in 1818!

I would also recommend Edgar Rice Burroughs, particularly the John Carter of Mars yarns. Tarzan's too sexist for me but perhaps that isn't such a problem for a preteen boy looking for adventure.
                      sigpic

Comment

So just to add a new twist to the continuing saga of my son the non-reader getting into Jules Verne...
                        Since my son has tracking issues when he reads we bought him a KOBO.
                        Motive - small screen & an ability to enlarge the font.

Since some of the classics are free he returned his 600 page book with small font back to the library and is now enjoying Mysterious Island on KOBO.

Can any of you readers weigh in on the apps for KOBO? We are new to this technology.
                        Thank you in advance.

Comment

Get the PC program Calibre. It's a much better ebook management application than the one that you download from the Chapters/Kobo site, plus it allows you to load on (or convert file types if necessary) ebooks you've got from other sources (bought from Amazon, or 'got' not quite legally). I don't even use the default PC Kobo program anymore.
                          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Morgania View Post
                            Perhaps H.G Wells.
                            War Of The Worlds (Original)
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X