No announcement yet.

The Secret Circle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm...not trying to drag on the arguments on whether it's 'evil' or not (IMHO, 'evil' is a 'choice'. nothing is evil, per se. e.g., the devil wasn't created evil, he/it chose an evil path, and is merely representative of it/used as an example), but from what I know, from hanging around folks who are into the 'esoteric' stuff, not all 'witchcraft' is 'satanic', just as in not all 'heathen' practices being 'bad'.

oh i'm sure there are those who practice the, err, more 'questionable' side of the 'esoteric' stuff/arts, but not everyone who does...does.
    the tree hugger-types (wiccans?) come to mind as being 'non-satanic' ( I think ).
    so do the other nature-oriented ones from various western and non-western traditions (kinda funny how one Asian tradition, that make amulets for protection, actually invoke god).
    I'm not really familiar (aside from fiction) w/ the 'western' conventions, and the closest I've read up on 'esoteric' stuff are those which are directly related to my martial arts, tho' (mostly taoist stuff...five elements, cycles of creation/destruction, blah blah blah).

....as for the show itself: I kinda like it. The cast is nice (but I do keep thinking of the lead dude as 'John Connor' *shrugs*. The idea that 'everyone looks pretty' also comes to mind every now and then), but the pace could be better (maybe it's the setting...I think I have a similar 'problem', at times, w/ Haven). If anything, it's something to watch.
    Last edited by gotthammer; 18 October 2011, 10:48 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
      hmm...not trying to drag on the arguments on whether it's 'evil' or not (IMHO, 'evil' is a 'choice'. nothing is evil, per se. e.g., the devil wasn't created evil, he/it chose an evil path, and is merely representative of it/used as an example), but from what I know, from hanging around folks who are into the 'esoteric' stuff, not all 'witchcraft' is 'satanic', just as in not all 'heathen' practices being 'bad'.

oh i'm sure there are those who practice the, err, more 'questionable' side of the 'esoteric' stuff/arts, but not everyone who does...does.
      the tree hugger-types (wiccans?) come to mind as being 'non-satanic' ( I think ).
      so do the other nature-oriented ones from various western and non-western traditions (kinda funny how one Asian tradition, that make amulets for protection, actually invoke god).
      I'm not really familiar (aside from fiction) w/ the 'western' conventions, and the closest I've read up on 'esoteric' stuff are those which are directly related to my martial arts, tho' (mostly taoist stuff...five elements, cycles of creation/destruction, blah blah blah).

....as for the show itself: I kinda like it. The cast is nice (but I do keep thinking of the lead dude as 'John Connor' *shrugs*. The idea that 'everyone looks pretty' also comes to mind every now and then), but the pace could be better (maybe it's the setting...I think I have a similar 'problem', at times, w/ Haven). If anything, it's something to watch.
      Witchcraft was never "satanic" in the first place. Its an unfair label that has been hoisted on it by dogmatic religious teachings and the movies.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
        Witchcraft was never "satanic" in the first place. Its an unfair label that has been hoisted on it by dogmatic religious teachings and the movies.
        I concur, and some people won't watch the show because they thing its evil or satanic. Its actually a pretty good show so far. Earlier, I called it Charmed on caffeine. Its nice to have another show like this on the air. Ukko, are you a fan of Vampire Diaries?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
          I concur, and some people won't watch the show because they thing its evil or satanic. Its actually a pretty good show so far. Earlier, I called it Charmed on caffeine. Its nice to have another show like this on the air. Ukko, are you a fan of Vampire Diaries?
          I remember watching Charmed.
          I havent watched Vampire Diaries yet. Honestly dont know much about it. Whats it like?
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
            I remember watching Charmed.
            I havent watched Vampire Diaries yet. Honestly dont know much about it. Whats it like?
            Vampire Diaries has a wider array of critters. Besides vampires (of course) there are witches, werewolves, and now half-breed (werewolf/vampire hybrid). Its centered around brother vampires and a girl that they're interested in. I was iffy in the first season, but it grew on me and I enjoy it.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm enjoying the show so far, but I have to say that for me anyway, it's a bit confusing, character wise. Perhaps it will become clearer as time goes by. Having a main character death this early kind of threw me. I am anxious to see how they pull all these loose ends together....

Comment

Originally posted by 12OzMouse View Post
                I'm enjoying the show so far, but I have to say that for me anyway, it's a bit confusing, character wise. Perhaps it will become clearer as time goes by. Having a main character death this early kind of threw me. I am anxious to see how they pull all these loose ends together....
                I have a feeling he'll be back tonight. IDK...its just a gut feeling.
                sigpic

Comment

I have a feeling he'll be back tonight. IDK...its just a gut feeling.
                  IDK i did read an article somewhere that one of the actors had been fired, cant remember who but that same week i read it a main character was killed off so he might be gone for good
                  Last Movie Watched
                  X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
                  Life is Strange

Comment

re: the magic thingy and potential consequences for the death
                    Was it ever stated that there had to be 6 of them? Or just for all 'bound' members to be present for a ritual? I wonder if the power thingy is evenly distributed among the members of the circle during the binding...and if it 're-distributes' if someone croaks.

re: resurrecting the dead dude
                    Hmm. I dunno. I think it'd be better, in a way (grittier?), if he stays dead.
                    (provided they delve into/show the consequences, not just for their group/magic, but also for other stuff, like people from school reacting and whatnot)
                    sigpic

Comment

Thought he was attractive in TSSC, but my opinion on him has changed. Maybe the personal videos he posted while filming A Nightmare on Elm Street where he was smoking changed my opinion of him. But it would be nice if TSSC was still on!
                      I don't go into the personal lives of actors so couldn't care less if he smokes. And I'd be robbing the cradle if I said he was attractive. I like his acting. He was very good in TSSC. Though TSC is more fluff so I don't expect any great acting bits coming from it.
                      Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by Angela V View Post
                        I don't go into the personal lives of actors so couldn't care less if he smokes. And I'd be robbing the cradle if I said he was attractive. I like his acting. He was very good in TSSC. Though TSC is more fluff so I don't expect any great acting bits coming from it.
                        Saying someone is attractive isn't robbing the cradle...and in a 'round about way...you just said he's attractive.

Anyway...

Interesting episode last night...
                        Spoiler:
                        So, we find out Cassie has a little darkness in her. It looks like that darkness saved her and her friends. I wonder if her Grandma knows about it? I know Cassie knows there's more to Jake than what he's letting on...I just wonder if she'll confront him. All in all...excellent episode.

And its good to see JR Bourne in the show...even though he's evil...
                        Last edited by LtColCarter; 28 October 2011, 08:54 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

What? He's not 'evil'...witch hunters are cool!
                          (esp. if they're warhammer 40,000 witch hunters )

And, yeah, the last one was a really good episode. I was kinda hoping for another member of the circle to croak, tho'
                          (I like the show, but the way they paced it, IMHO, a bit 'too fast', I'm kinda hoping it's a one-season thing w/ a conclusive finale)
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                            What? He's not 'evil'...witch hunters are cool!
                            (esp. if they're warhammer 40,000 witch hunters )

And, yeah, the last one was a really good episode. I was kinda hoping for another member of the circle to croak, tho'
                            (I like the show, but the way they paced it, IMHO, a bit 'too fast', I'm kinda hoping it's a one-season thing w/ a conclusive finale)
                            Ummmm...no
                            sigpic

Comment

I enjoyed tonight's episode.
                              Spoiler:
                              I'm wondering what Charles is gonna do now that he can control Cassie's grandma. At the end of the episode, it seemed like Jake was having reservations about killing off the circle.
                              sigpic

Comment

I enjoyed tonight's episode.
                                Spoiler:
                                I'm wondering what Charles is gonna do now that he can control Cassie's grandma. At the end of the episode, it seemed like Jake was having reservations about killing off the circle.
                                Spoiler:
                                I don't see the Charles-controlling-grandma bit lasting long, seeing as there's already doubt as to what happened at the place of Fae's granddad (re: that scarf thingy). As for Jake, I hope he doesn't 'turn away' from being a 'hunter ('cause being 'turned' from being a 'bad guy' would be too cliche, IMHO. If anything, I'm of the mind that he has his own agenda).
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X