Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Science Fiction, Fantasy and Other good TV-Shows (1990-Now)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
    Lost, science-fiction? How is being stranded on an island science-fiction? As for Voyager being a serial...
    have you seen you see lost? there is time travel, and talking to ghosts. and some fantasy stuff such as not aging and seeing the future.

i said voyager as "somewhat" serial because characters storylines carry through out the show. the characters develope and change throughout the show (unlike other shows such as law and order). there is also plotlines such as the borg and q that reppear throughout the series.
    sigpic

Comment

Sci-fi/Crime

Alien Nation (1 season 1989-90, plus 5 movies following) rating=9
      Issues of slavery, youth, interracial love, raising kids.

Star Trek: TNG (7 seasons 1987-94) rating=10

Crime

Columbo (7 seasons 1972-2000s, plus individual eps later) rating=12
      Best detective show ever.

Comment

A few personal favourites I haven't seen mentioned on here that may be worth a look for anyone seeking something to get into;

Quantum Leap - 5 seasons 1989-94 - 8/10
        Sci Fi / Historical

One of my favourites which I enjoyed as a youngster, may be fun to watch with kids if they can tolerate the retro feel (although most of it being set in the historical past helps survivability). Slightly cheesy but good quality, you can probably tell if it's for you from the intro music and opening speech.. "Theorising that man could time travel within his own lifetime, Dr Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator.. and vanished..." I'll stop there before I reel off the whole thing and start humming Oh boy!

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 26 episodes & 1/2 wrap up movies 1995-96 onwards - 9/10
        Anime - Genre defying / insane. Sci Fi, Religion, philosophy - has been called "postmodern fantasy".

At times quite different and often messes with your head but a very well made and gripping anime. The ending is confusing / confused as there is the original episode 25/26 ending, revamped 25/26, "Death & Rebirth" and "End of Evangelion" which to a greater or lesser extent overlap. I would suggest watching the original (or revamped) 1-26 episodes, give your head a scratch, then watch "Death & Rebirth". Then if you love the universe take it from there - NGE has spawned a lot of spin offs, side stories etc.

Boston Legal - 5 seasons 2004-2008 - 10/10
        Crime - Legal / Courtroom

If you have any enjoyment of legal dramas and haven't tried Boston Legal you may well be in for a treat, one of my all-time favourite shows. Hilarious from start to finish and, at times, poignant, thought-provoking and moving.. then back to hilarity Not much from a sci-fi afficionado's perspective apart from William Shatner's fantastic performance but definitely worth a look - well made, excellent writing and some fine acting from the ensemble cast. A show that cocks a snook at the perceived wisdom that cast members must be young and sexy in the modern age with many fine performances from vintage actors in starring, recurring and guest roles.
        If you find the high comedy too much or simply enjoy the serious side of the show and crave more, The Practice is also worth a go (also by David E. Kelley, 8 seasons from 1997-2004) - it starts a little slowly but soon finds its feet. This is a serious legal drama without the hi-jinks of Boston Legal but still has amusing moments, particularly in season 8 when James Spader as Alan Shore - one of the main characters in Boston Legal - comes into the fray along with the delectable Rhona Mitra of Tomb Raider fame. Season 8 can be considered for viewing purely as a prequel to Boston Legal since it sets some tone, with guest appearances from other Boston Legal characters including William Shatner's inimitable Denny Crane.
        If that still isn't enough "David E. Kelley-verse" for you then consider Ally McBeal, Gideon's Crossing or Boston Public. These other shows aren't so much to my taste but they may suit a different palate
        Last edited by Huaracocha; 22 June 2011, 02:14 PM.
        "There is only one universe. It can only contain one life. It is me." - MorningLightMountain

Comment

Fringe (Sci-fi/Mystery): The first 2 seasons were good, but the third season, my favorite, is closer to what fans of SGU may like. Its more serialized, with great attention given to characters arcs, developing storyline and mythology and relationship. I think that series is fantastic especially since the third season.

The new Outer Limits 1995 (Sci-fi/Mystery/Anthology): That is if you can catch it. Easily my top 5 favorites series. Brad Wright was involved in this sci-fi anthology series. Great different sci-fi stories every week often with nice twists. It's hard to define a precise style since each episodes can have its own style. Very well written with non-Hollywood development and endings.

Star Trek DS9
          : I think the style is close to what SGU was going for in term of character arcs. But DS9 back story is much more interesting, complex and involve many alien species and social interaction (conflicts, wars, etc). Not my preferred trek series, but it's closer to SGU.

- Seven Days (Sci-fi Action-adv): Not one of the best sci-fi series, but the style is very close to SG1 in tone. With a mix of military, missions, humor, drama, etc. I don't think I saw all the series.

- Doctor Who (2005): Personally I can't watch the old Doctor Who who feel like some saturday morning children show, But the new Doctor Who has a great mix of topical stories and humor. Something Stargate fans may like. Especially good with Davies at the bar (the first few modern seasons).

- Andromeda (Sci-fi/Space): The first 2 seasons of Andromeda were great. A rag tag spaceship crew of people with their own agenda. The writing in the first season is especially strong (beside the first 2 episodes which are just ok).

Other good sci-fi series :
          Sliders (especially the first 3 seasons): People traveling to parallel universes
          Star Trek TNG (beyond season 2)
          Crusade (Sci-fi/Space): Babylon5 spin off cut short after half a season
          Day Break (Sci-fi/crime): Groundhog day meets 24. If you like the idea. It's great
          Journeyman (Sci-fi/crime/mystery): Cut short. I think similar to Quantum Leap
          The new Twilight Zone (Sci-fi/mystery/anthology): Return of the influential (and great) series with an urban and hip style. I almost always feel the stories are too short, but there's many great ones.
          Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
            [B]Fringe (Sci-fi/Mystery)
            - Andromeda (Sci-fi/Space): The first 2 seasons of Andromeda were great. A rag tag spaceship crew of people with their own agenda. The writing in the first season is especially strong (beside the first 2 episodes which are just ok).
            Yeah, I really enjoyed the early adventures of Sorbo the Magnificent particularly all the stuff with Tyr and the Nietzchians. It did go rather downhill towards the end..

[SPOILERSOLD]particularly all the paragon weirdness [/SPOILERSOLD]
            "There is only one universe. It can only contain one life. It is me." - MorningLightMountain

Comment

Originally posted by Huaracocha View Post
              Yeah, I really enjoyed the early adventures of Sorbo the Magnificent particularly all the stuff with Tyr and the Nietzchians. It did go rather downhill towards the end..

[SPOILERSOLD]particularly all the paragon weirdness [/SPOILERSOLD]
              I agree with you about everything. Maybe the series turn up to become too much the Sorbo the Magnificent adventures. When in its first season Captain Dylan Hunt was much more like an idealist Captain Picard from another era (the premise of the show) with leadership but without taking all the place of the other characters. Obviously they changed the executive producer (head writer), which must explained the drop in quality.
              Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I've compiled a list of sci-fi, fantasy and horror series at my site ( link in my signature ). I also have a wiki there giving more detail on many of the shows listed. Updating the wiki is still in progress, so if your favorite isn't there, it will be.

Comment

Working...
                X