Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Keeper View Post
    Snowman37:
    i've never seen eureka or sanctuary, however i've always felt shows with abnormals (i'm assuming 'mutants' like, say, x-men, might be a good comparison?) fall toward sci-fi/syfy because of a genetic link - i tend to take fantasy as less scientifically explained, in many ways.
    Unfortunately, the abnormals are so fantastical, there's no realistic explanation for their existence. For me, that makes it fantasy, the lack of science. Sure, there are science-fiction elements such as the tools the Sanctuary's characters use, but that's not the driving force of the show. It's basically a dark fantasy.

the Alien films, because of their setting - and, indeed, because they concern aliens - are things i'd consider scifi/syfy, though indeed they have a great deal of fantasy. likewise for the (original) star wars trilogy. the prequels were a george lucas wet dream - milking the cash. at least that's my opinion
    However, the Alien films aren't about studying the creatures, it's about surviving them. You watch for chills, not for scientific pondering. As for Star Wars, it's basically a space opera. The focus is on the war in space and the people, not on scientific possibilities. There's also the force, more fantastical elements despite the prequels' explanation.

i think i define scifi/syfy as more scientific/space age material, while fantasy is a bit more mysterious and mythological - with mutants/heros being on the scifi/syfy side, generally, because of the genetic explanation typically used.
    Science-fiction is basically any story based around scientific possibilities. Fantasy is anything that simply could never happen. I try not to blend the genres.

Comment

This has got to be the most confusing thread ever.

Syfy is just the network name and not a genre in itself. So this is basically a thread where everyone can select shows and make up reasons so that the fall under this imaginary "Syfy" genre.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
        apparently Wrestling is Syfy
        I just hate that, to me the syfy channel should have shows like SGA, SG1, SGU, Dr. Who, Sanctuary, shows that have to do with space and a little fantasy and stuff like that. It just makes me really mad that they put wrestling on syfy, it's not sci-fi!
        IMO of course
        Just because something is unknown, does not necessarily mean that it needs to be feared. Trust yourself, and the rest will unfold. ~Teyla Emmagen~

Comment

If you're going to break them up that way, I pretty much agree. I'd probably just call it heavy, medium, or lightweight sci-fi.

Though I can't argue with the lightweight sci-fi falling under the "Syfy" category--that spelling is just ridiculous.
          || twitter || tumblr ||

Comment

I know the name is crap -- just something that popped into my head as a mix
            between SciFi and Fantasy -- and what name there could be to define this category. I'm not categorising shows on levels of drama, as such, but with where best it fits. That's why I personally put SG1/SGA in SciFi -- because it's more SciFi than fantasy.

Comment

This is ridicilous. Its all science fiction. Heavy and light is purely perception based
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Well said. Either it's science-fiction or it's not.

Comment

A less confusing thread title would have been Sci Fi vs Fantasy
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X