Find me a sci-fi series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
    If that's the case shouldn't violence also be left implied as well? Why do you condone the graphic violence on the stargate shows? Do you turn away whenever someone is killed or shot at? There seems to be an extreme contradiction going on here.
    Ah man, you must have missed the day when graphic violence, murder, and mayhem were declared ok for TV, but hugging and kissing during prime time is a punishable offense by the moral majority!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil 37 View Post
      Firstly, you said that Firefly is a family show. It isn't.
      No, I never said that. Read more carefully. I said my mom asked why there was adult content in a family show. Remove Inarra and the sexuality, and it might as well be a family show.

Firefly is most definitely aimed at teens/adults.
      I thought it wasn't a family show?

Secondly, the sex scene in the pilot episode of Firefly is incredibly mild.
      Mild is irrelevant, it shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Thirdly, sex is a natural act that is vital for the advancement of the human race. I don't understand why you are so offended by it.
      I never said I was. I only said that it shouldn't be depicted on TV.

But it's your opinion, I'll respect that. Were you offended by SGU's sex scenes? I don't think you should let sex scenes ruin fantastic shows like Firefly for you.
      In regards to SGU, yes, one of many reasons why I don't watch the show. We'd never have seen that on SG-1 or Atlantis. It doesn't ruin Firefly, I just fast forward over the scenes. However, I ask, did Inarra really need to be a prostitute? Why couldn't she have just been a diplomat? Same result.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
        However, I ask, did Inarra really need to be a prostitute? Why couldn't she have just been a diplomat? Same result.
        Because the moment Science Fiction starts playing it safe and pandying to an audiance who doesn't want to be challenged is the day sci-fi dies. Sci-Fi is meant to be controversial. Inara's role in the future version of Earth opens up a really interesting point of discussion regarding morality, society, and values.

One of my favourite Sci-Fi/Speculative Fiction movies ever is V For Vendetta. Why? Because I am one of the most pro-establishment people around, yet the film challenges my principles. Makes me wonder how I would act if I was part of that world, one of the serving officers of that corrupt fascist regime. I suggest, frankly, that you open your mind (note, NOT compromise your principles) but allow yourself to be challenged and accept that good sci-fi presents us with conundrums and realities that may not mesh with our own idea of how things should be.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

No, I never said that. Read more carefully. I said my mom asked why there was adult content in a family show. Remove Inarra and the sexuality, and it might as well be a family show.
          You have a very funny definition of a family show then. A show with the reavers, who we are told that, to quote from the show,
          If they take the ship, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skins into their clothing - and if we're very very lucky, they'll do it in that order.
          Fun for all the family.

Comment

Those who enjoy Firefly are perverts! May God have mercy on your souls and allow him to show you the way to salvation.

Spoiler:
            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I guess if being a fan of Firefly makes you a pervert, being a Game of Thrones fan must qualify a person as a total monster then.

Comment

So your mom thinks it's a family show, when it isn't. There is adult content because its an adult show.

I thought it wasn't a family show?
                It isn't. A family show is a show that people of all ages can enjoy, like Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis. Firefly is not suitable for children, but is suitable for older teenagers and adults.

Mild is irrelevant, it shouldn't have been there in the first place.
                Why though?

I never said I was. I only said that it shouldn't be depicted on TV.
                If you're not offended by it, why are you not okay with it being shown in television series?

In regards to SGU, yes, one of many reasons why I don't watch the show. We'd never have seen that on SG-1 or Atlantis. It doesn't ruin Firefly, I just fast forward over the scenes. However, I ask, did Inarra really need to be a prostitute? Why couldn't she have just been a diplomat? Same result.
                A diplomat does not allow for much exploration of femininity, the role of women in a future society and the morals of sex, does it? It doesn't challenge anyone's beliefs or make the viewer think. Also, she isn't a prostitute, she's a companion; it isn't about the sex for them, it's about spiritual enrichment. Companions are highly respected members of society, prostitutes are not.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                  I guess if being a fan of Firefly makes you a pervert, being a Game of Thrones fan must qualify a person as a total monster then.
                  I am the biggest total monster who's cool with it then.

If you're not offended by it, why are you not okay with it being shown in television series?
                  *High Fives*
                  ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k
                    Those who enjoy Firefly are perverts! May God have mercy on your souls and allow him to show you the way to salvation.

Spoiler:
                    Double post!

It means we have to sign a register.

Why is it that an incedibly tame sex scene shouldnt be shown, but the violence, the killing, cursing (Even though its in chinese) and the fact that the crew of Serenity are criminals is fine and wasnt objected to when you thought it was a family show?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                      Why is it that an incedibly tame sex scene shouldnt be shown, but the violence, the killing, cursing (Even though its in chinese) and the fact that the crew of Serenity are criminals is fine and wasnt objected to when you thought it was a family show?
                      This.

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                        It means we have to sign a register.
                        Do we get a badge as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                          Because the moment Science Fiction starts playing it safe and pandying to an audiance who doesn't want to be challenged is the day sci-fi dies. Sci-Fi is meant to be controversial. Inara's role in the future version of Earth opens up a really interesting point of discussion regarding morality, society, and values.
                          If I get this right, your argument is that Joss Whedon (or whoever thought up Inarra) wanted to use the science-fiction setting to examine human culture in the future? One way to examine a futuristic human culture would be to have society embrace prostitution and then show how the main characters deal with this? Now see, that is one thing I did like about the show. Some loved her prostitute role, the Captain hated her job, and the good Sheppard tolerated her and perhaps grew to call her friend despite her line of work and his beliefs. I really liked the positive depiction of the Sheppard, especially in how he would tolerate people without being forced to accept their way of life. I really liked that.
                          It gave his death in the movie that much more emotional punch. The Alliance killing Sheppard is what finally pushed Malcolm over the edge. That just shows how much of an effect Sheppard had on Malcolm and his crew.
                          One of my favourite Sci-Fi/Speculative Fiction movies ever is V For Vendetta. Why? Because I am one of the most pro-establishment people around, yet the film challenges my principles. Makes me wonder how I would act if I was part of that world, one of the serving officers of that corrupt fascist regime. I suggest, frankly, that you open your mind (note, NOT compromise your principles) but allow yourself to be challenged and accept that good sci-fi presents us with conundrums and realities that may not mesh with our own idea of how things should be.
                          I can't say I'm pro-establishment nor anti-establishment. It depends on what the establishment is and who is running it. As for science-fiction challenging preconceived conceptions of the world, I'll give you that. I am writing a science-fiction book that is going to do just that.

You have a very funny definition of a family show then. A show with the reavers, who we are told that, to quote from the show,
                          If they take the ship, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skins into their clothing - and if we're very very lucky, they'll do it in that order.
                          Fun for all the family.
                          My family let me watch violent shows when I was a kid, because they knew I wasn't stupid enough to go out and act out that violence. However, when it comes to sexuality... sometimes people will see it on TV, read about it, or learn from family and friends; get the wrong idea... Someone will end up pregnant, with an STD, or unable to form a stable relationship. It all begins with an idea. To me, sexuality can be far more damaging, because it is far more accepted by society. It's not the act of sex that is damaging, but rather jumping in too early and without responsibility.

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                          Is it necessary to degenerate to childish religious slurs? Grow up.

Originally posted by Mr Evil 37 View Post
                          So your mom thinks it's a family show, when it isn't. There is adult content because its an adult show.
                          It's a space western, how is it any less family oriented than westerns of decades past? A little more violent, a little more cursing, but... that's about it. The only truly adult content is the sexuality.

It isn't. A family show is a show that people of all ages can enjoy, like Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis. Firefly is not suitable for children, but is suitable for older teenagers and adults.
                          If you plucked out the sexuality, it would be no more adult than an episode of Atlantis.

Why though?
                          To explain would require Biblical references which you will likely ignore, so I'll pass answering this question.

Technically, the word offend would apply. However, it's not that it offends me. Basically, I don't believe in sex before marriage. When people do commence sexuality, I perceive it as the ultimate expression of love, something very private and intimate. I don't like the idea of it being treated as this casual encounter as if it were just a hug. Does that clarify my position?

A diplomat does not allow for much exploration of femininity, the role of women in a future society and the morals of sex, does it? It doesn't challenge anyone's beliefs or make the viewer think. Also, she isn't a prostitute, she's a companion; it isn't about the sex for them, it's about spiritual enrichment. Companions are highly respected members of society, prostitutes are not.
                          People pay her to have sex with them, she's a prostitute regardless of window dressing. Being a space western, I get why she's there. If they would just fade to the next scene once she and whoever head towards the bed, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I get that sexuality is part of the human condition, I just feel it's one best left to the imagination unless you're going to partake yourself.

Comment

My family let me watch violent shows when I was a kid, because they knew I wasn't stupid enough to go out and act out that violence. However, when it comes to sexuality... sometimes people will see it on TV, read about it, or learn from family and friends; get the wrong idea... Someone will end up pregnant, with an STD, or unable to form a stable relationship. It all begins with an idea. To me, sexuality can be far more damaging, because it is far more accepted by society. It's not the act of sex that is damaging, but rather jumping in too early and without responsibility.
                            The wrong idea? I'd say it's not your place to decide what goes on in a bedroom between consenting adults. Nor is it your right to demand that shows do not show or discuss topics of sexuality, either watch or don't watch if it offends you, but don't decide to impose your particular brand of morality on me.

It's a space western, how is it any less family oriented than westerns of decades past? A little more violent, a little more cursing, but... that's about it. The only truly adult content is the sexuality.
                            Westerns are family orientated? Have you ever watched a Clint Eastwood film? Or Deadwood or many other Westerns?

Tell you what, pop off and watch the Good, the Bad and The Ugly, High Plains Drifter, and The Outlaw Josey Wales, then come back and tell me if those Westerns, with the violent death and stuff like rape, are "family orientated." And before you say "oh it's modern times corrupting things", those films I listed, were made decades ago, in the 60's and 70's.

At this point you are either the most sheltered person ever, or trolling.

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
                              I'm surprised that no one has mentioned V.
                              that's probably because it sucks.
                              (new one anyway)

Comment

As for recommending science-fiction shows, what about Jericho or Roswell?
                                you can't watch either.

hand holding
                                kissing
                                googly eyed looks

my word!

Comment

Working...
                                X