Red Dwarf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alan View Post
    Congratulations. You've just won my award for "Worst Suggestion of the Day EVER" and its only 11:26am here. If anyone tops that before the day is out I'll be very surprised. The award is as good as yours.
    Oh, a challenge!

Lets see, hmmmmm. Only Way Is Essex, the movie. Gone With The Wind reboot, with a younger, edgier cast. Jedward, the musical. Jordan studying for a PHD in physics.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cosmichobo View Post
      Really worried about X... after the last attempt...

This SO needs a reboot with new actors. (I know, it's sacrilege... but it's true) Maybe a trilogy of movies... First one setting up the premise, spending more time pre stasis... second setting up a dire calamity... and the third going off on an odd tangent...
      No.

Just... no.

Congratulations. You've just won my award for "Worst Suggestion of the Day EVER" and its only 11:26am here. If anyone tops that before the day is out I'll be very surprised. The award is as good as yours.
      Originally posted by Ukko View Post
      Oh, a challenge!

Lets see, hmmmmm. Only Way Is Essex, the movie. Gone With The Wind reboot, with a younger, edgier cast. Jedward, the musical. Jordan studying for a PHD in physics.
      The Dambusters to be remade and re-imagined as a modern day US raid... directed by Ewe Boll and produced by Michael Bay, to a Celine Dion soundtrack?
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Really worried about X... after the last attempt...

This SO needs a reboot with new actors. (I know, it's sacrilege... but it's true) Maybe a trilogy of movies... First one setting up the premise, spending more time pre stasis... second setting up a dire calamity... and the third going off on an odd tangent...

Have you been on the Vimto and liquid nitrogen again?!!

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
        Oh, a challenge!

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
        No.

The Dambusters to be remade and re-imagined as a modern day US raid... directed by Ewe Boll and produced by Michael Bay, to a Celine Dion soundtrack?
        These are all excellent terrible ideas.

Here's mine. What about re-making Sherlock but setting it in New York, making Watson a girl called Joan who feels ill at the sight of blood and then having Sherlock & Watson fall in love..... ummmmmm..... actually that sounds familiar.....

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post

Something stronger than that I think.

These are all excellent terrible ideas.

Here's mine. What about re-making Sherlock but setting it in New York, making Watson a girl called Joan who feels ill at the sight of blood and then having Sherlock & Watson fall in love..... ummmmmm..... actually that sounds familiar.....
          It is familiar because the fools are actually going through with it. Not that it matters to me. I won't watch it.

Just on a factual Red Dwarf note for the moment - back in the early 2000's Rob Grant was in meetings with movie-making people about doing a continuation of the show for the big screen. The movie-making people said to Mr. Grant they wanted to recast Rimmer, Lister, Cat, Kochanski, and Kryten. Mr. Grant walked out of those meetings.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Originally posted by Blencathra View Post

I think one too many hits off stasis might do that. Smegging hell!

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
            "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
            "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

And here's why...

The guys are getting old. Really old. Unbelievably old. Even back in the day (ie the last few seasons) they were showing their age. I'd be very interested to see some proper breakdowns on the demographics of who watched Back to Earth... I would guess it was more heavily the 30+ male crowd - ie the existing fan base, rather than drawing a lot of new, younger fans.

(The best I could source was IMDB's stats based on people who have voted for it, which suggests roughly 35-40% of the audience was under 30)

Now, I will point out, I am a massive fan of the original series (though not so much the later couple of series). I caught on late - circa 1991 - but quickly brought myself up to speed thanks to the ABC screening repeats pretty regularly. And I love the original cast very much - as they appeared in the 80's/early 90's...

Indeed, go and watch The End. Then watch Back to Earth.

Now just imagine a revamp... New, energetic young actors, the potential for much better budgets to produce an even better Red Dwarf experience (as it would likely draw a larger budget with a younger demographic in mind - actually I'm talking out my ass there, but I'm pretty sure younger demographics are targeted as they have lots of disposable income).

Not only that, but the chance to go back and revisit the show from the beginning, getting back into the Doug Naylor concepts, which were that much more fun and exciting than what came after...

I know that Doug has said he wont do Red Dwarf without the original cast... (Though I think that quote was from the mid 90's, perhaps when Craig's future was in question?) So this will likely not happen - any time soon... But trust me, eventually we will see it happen... and if they put the time and effort in, I am sure they will produce something amazing...

Normally I hate the idea of a reboot... when there was talk of Doctor Who being rebooted, I wanted to kill someone. So, I am sure some of you are sharpening knives at my suggestion... But Dwarf is a show that could be rebooted, back to the roots of the original novel (and maybe the 2nd), and give us a new journey to enjoy.
              back on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@The-Cosmic-Hobo
              "How Doomsday Should Have Ended!" • "Bigger on the Inside?" • "The Doctor Falls - With Hartnell!"
              "The War Games - In 10 Minutes" • "Announcement of Jon Pertwee's death" •
              and lots more!

Comment

Never. Red Dwarf is carried as much by the chemistry between Barrie/Charles/John-Jules/Llewelyn as anything else, if not more. Even the boring stuff in Series 7 and 8 are tolerable just because these guys are such a joy to watch together (and clearly love working together). A reboot is an idea so horrible that words can't even describe how bad it would be.
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  Never. Red Dwarf is carried as much by the chemistry between Barrie/Charles/John-Jules/Llewelyn as anything else, if not more. Even the boring stuff in Series 7 and 8 are tolerable just because these guys are such a joy to watch together (and clearly love working together). A reboot is an idea so horrible that words can't even describe how bad it would be.
                  I couldn't have worded that better! Very well put, Digi!

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                    I couldn't have worded that better! Very well put, Digi!

Comment

And here's why...

The guys are getting old. Really old. Unbelievably old. Even back in the day (ie the last few seasons) they were showing their age. I'd be very interested to see some proper breakdowns on the demographics of who watched Back to Earth... I would guess it was more heavily the 30+ male crowd - ie the existing fan base, rather than drawing a lot of new, younger fans.
                      "Unbelievably old" is a relative term. The guys are middle-aged, not geriatric. Learn the difference.

(The best I could source was IMDB's stats based on people who have voted for it, which suggests roughly 35-40% of the audience was under 30)
                      The world does NOT revolve around the under-30 population, regardless of what they may think of themselves.

Now just imagine a revamp... New, energetic young actors, the potential for much better budgets to produce an even better Red Dwarf experience (as it would likely draw a larger budget with a younger demographic in mind - actually I'm talking out my ass there, but I'm pretty sure younger demographics are targeted as they have lots of disposable income).
                      Actually, people over 30 generally have higher incomes than people under 30, and often more of it disposable as well.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                      sigpic
                      now also appearing on DeviantArt
                      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Ahh the joys of market analysis, who has the money, and who is willing to spend it
                        sigpic
                        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
                        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
                        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Oh, and more on topic, Red Dwarf, as a TV series IS Craig, Danny, Robert and Chris as Lister, Cat, Kryten and Rimmer respectively. You MAY be able to recreate the situations, true, but as far as RD goes, there ARE no others. Even RD itself explored the option with "back to reality" with alternate actors and it was treated by the fans as the joke it should be.

Now, someone gimme a carving knife, I need to trim my toenails..............

BOYS FROM THE DWARF!!! POSSIE POSSIE!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
                            Oh, and more on topic, Red Dwarf, as a TV series IS Craig, Danny, Robert and Chris as Lister, Cat, Kryten and Rimmer respectively. You MAY be able to recreate the situations, true, but as far as RD goes, there ARE no others. Even RD itself explored the option with "back to reality" with alternate actors and it was treated by the fans as the joke it should be.

Now, someone gimme a carving knife, I need to trim my toenails..............

BOYS FROM THE DWARF!!! POSSIE POSSIE!!
                            Back to Reality was in series Five, episode Six, I think you mean Back to Earth mini series that aired last year ?

I must admit here personally that I got inspired to write a short story based on Back to Reality's other world, I felt there were many other stories to tell there and my imagination kept saying "DO IT STUPID, OR I'LL GO ON ANOTHER VACATION TO MARS!!!" and therefore I am attempting to write a short story to send to a scifi magazine to get published and maybe make a buck or two

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                            "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                            "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                              Back to Reality was in series Five, episode Six, I think you mean Back to Earth mini series that aired last year ?
                              Nope, I mean back to reality where the dispair squid makes them believe the have woken up from a total immersion game.
                              I must admit here personally that I got inspired to write a short story based on Back to Reality's other world, I felt there were many other stories to tell there and my imagination kept saying "DO IT STUPID, OR I'LL GO ON ANOTHER VACATION TO MARS!!!" and therefore I am attempting to write a short story to send to a scifi magazine to get published and maybe make a buck or two
                              GO FOR IT!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

You can't make money off IP that's owned by someone else; that's copyright infringement and will get you sued.

But I suppose if you change the names around and change up the setting to be different enough.....
                                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                                X