Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching BHUK on BBC America - no spoilers for the UK episodes please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow Skydiver... thanks for the rundown on the ep. I actually haven't seen the episode but spoilers don't bother me. I am one of these people that will watch a movie and then go read the book..lol Anywho can't wait to see the actual episode.

Comment

After 13 weeks of watching the US version of Being Human and absolutely loving every episode, I've finally started on the UK version. I'm on episode 4 right now so I'll post something more comprehensive after episode 7. But so far, I'm really loving this show too. I was telling Spimman that the US version feels like meeting a new and very wonderful friend and watching the UK version is like meeting this friend's equally charming British relative.
      sigpic

Comment

lol

yep

oddly enough, I like them both, and neither has put me off or annoyed me
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Waiting to watch the UK version of BH until the season 1 was over proved to be a very good idea. Seeing the two shows separately really showcased how strong both series really are. They both stand on their own very nicely. There are striking similarities and differences. I'll talk about the differences in the UK version that I find the most notable right now and go from there.

Extensive spoilers for those who haven't seen the UK version.
          Spoiler:
          Bishop and Herrick
          This is something I talked with geekywraith about.

Bishop was menacing, slimey, and manipulative. Even during public situations, he exhibited a palpable creepiness, especially that savage glint in his eyes. It was easy to want to hate him and Mark Pellegrino fulfilled his role well.

With Herrick though, he seems like a more complex character. Herrick is more charming and likable, except when he's being directly brutal. That charm and likability when he's not being a monster makes him more dangerous I think. There's something about the way he handles people, like putting on that little magic trick thing with the hospital staff, that makes people want to like him. With that in mind, I can see how Mitchell & Herrick would have a deeper mentor/protege relationship more than Aiden/Bishop.

Season 2
          I can see where BHUK and BHUS are going to diverge very clearly. I start watching episode 4 of season 2 tomorrow. Though I do like the plot line with the experiments on supernatural creatures, I think the US should go in a different direction. That seems likely with the final moments of season 1 and the likely exploration of vampire society.

One thing I do hope makes it on to the US version in some way is the subplot with the entities from beyond forcibly trying to drag Annie to the other side. That scene in the hospital where Saul finds his door and then tries to take Annie with him through into that ghoulishly hellish corridor was easily one of the most disturbing things I've seen for either series--and I absolutely loved it. If it does make it into the US version, I hope its sufficiently transformed in order to be different enough from the original and yet give us that same dread.

George
          I actually have very little to say about George since, from my perspective, I only met the character on Tuesday. I like the character a lot and can see the growth into season 2 very nicely. One critique though: No offense to Russell Tovey but the high-pitched screams I could really do without. I know this sounds strange but the high-pitched screams really don't mesh with the werewolf condition--or my ears.

Otherwise though, George is a very likable werewolf. His eccentricities make a comparison with Josh inevitable. I think Josh's angst is closer to the surface while George tries like hell to repress not only his... wolfiness but a lot of other things as well. Overall I think Josh is much more socially adjusted. That's saying a lot. Consequently, I think George has more potential to become completely unhinged even while as a human.

I'll have many more comments in the coming days.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X