Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw the movie, it's an awesome movie. I wish he makes ID4 2. It's exciting than a Gore boring speach.
    sigpic
    The Edge of the Night; contains love from the heart and soul, outpouring love to one and love one country.

Comment

Seeing it today! Better be good!
      "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Spoilers....

It was great effects-wise, but it had some plot holes.

I think that it had potential, but got lost somewhere.
        For example: the temp was dropping 10 degrees a second, and those kids managed to get off the boat, and into the library. They should've been dead. Also, I'd like to know how the dad managed to WALK from Pennsylvania to New York City in like 1 day.
        Something didn't seem right with their weather explinations, but I'm not a meteorologist so I wouldn't know.

Overall it was enjoyable.

I wonder if they will make a sequel? "The Day After Tomorrow's Tomorrow's"
        Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
        Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
        Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
        Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
        Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
        Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
        Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

It was pretty good, really enjoyable fun flick. I thought it was kinda preachy though.

Spoilers:
          And those astronauts saying "I've never seen the sky so clear", just pissed me off. Hello, like a billion people just died, who cares if the sky is clear.

Oh, and why did the president stay behind? Maybe they cut something that was supposed to explain why, something about his wife maybe? I would think he would be one of the first to go.
          "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Saw the movie this afternoon. Mostly 'cause I was bored and wanted to see the visual effects. SPOILERS below...

My suspension of disbelief was working just fine until the wolves attacked. LOL! I mean, the movie was already pretty hokey and ridiculous, but that was just WAY over the top.

Another gripe: The President is the last to leave?? No way in hell that would ever happen. If there's a critical situation, the Prez is the first to be evacuated... kicking and screaming if necessary.

Another gripe: The ambulance... and various other vehicles parading around New York. What? Did they have them all stored in really high buildings? Because the last time I checked, the city was under 30+ feet of water (a couple storeys, at least, whatever that equals). So how did these snowcats and ambulances and whatnot survive? Or were they supposed to be brought in from the mainland? Across icey frozen tundra chock full of bits and bobs of buildings, vehicles, freight vessels, submerged buildings and various detritus? And how, exactly, is an ambulance supposed to cross all that anyway? Maybe it had snow tires.

Another gripe: The VP. He was a bit one-dimensional in his adament condemnation of everything to do with the cataclysm. Admittedly, I did think of Kinsey a bit, but at least Kinsey has personality and (if I remember rightly) backed off a bit when the evidence was staring him in the face. HOWEVER, given that as the VP's characterization, his sunshine-and-rainbows bit at the end came off as completely false. Anyone that obstinate isn't going to change. Ever.

Another gripe: I know the story centers in the US and on the guy trying to rescue his son (sww, how sweet!), but what about the rest of the world??! Hello, America isn't the only one suffering! But after the "introductory" carnage, all we get are some crashing helicopters (which was actually kind of a cool scene) and those poor sods in that Scottish research station. And speaking of the helicopters... I fully expected to find out they carried the Royals, since in the previous scene they'd just mentioned that the Royal Family was being choppered out. But obviously, that was just a coincidence. I would have liked to see some cataclysm in the rest of the world. A tornado that turns the Eiffle Tower into a giant twisted chunk of abstract art, a tsunami that washes over Rome and turns the Coliseum into a giant swimming pool (and later an ice rink). Something, anything to show that the rest of the world is suffering! Stupid American movie-maker arrogance.

Another gripe: The wolves, again. Why must every movie perpetrate the myth that wolves will attack human beings at every opportunity?? Jeez! Even after following the kids into the ship, once they were in the mess hall that should have been the end of it- they had food, it was close and plentiful and a lot easier to get than a bunch of large moving targets. *sigh* Poor wolves. How come they were the only ones to escape, anyway? And how come there was no massive rain of... er... guano when all the birds were flying overhead? And personally, I think they should have shown the rats leaving in droves. That would have drawn attention.

Another gripe: How come the dad and the other guy walk past the Statue of Liberty? I admit, my geographic knowledge of New York is a bit sketchy, but I would think that walking past it towards Manhattan would have been a bit off route for them. Shouldn't they have been approaching from a more southwestern direction, across New Jersey? Or am I all reversed in my head again? It just looked odd...

The funny thing is, I still kind of enjoyed it. I mean, the science was an absolute joke and the plotting and characterization were unimaginative, but the effects were pretty cool and it still managed to be entertaining... even if I was laughing in some of the wrong spots.

It's a good waste of a few hours and a good reason to eat popcorn/nachos and the FX are certainly fun, but beyond that the movie has nothing to recommend it. At least not in my opinion.
            Last edited by ShadowMaat; 30 May 2004, 04:47 PM.

Comment

More thinking... and more spoilers, as if anyone really cared.

The whole trek to NYC was ridiculous and convoluted and flat-out impossible under the circumstances and the timeline of events itself is highly suspect. They make a big deal out of the speed of the "killer storm system" and all, but then the gloss over it taking them days and days (and ONLY days) to hike from point A to point B... over a hostile frozen tundra full of unguessable obstacles... with only the scantest of supplies... and how the hell did the batteries in that PDA last so long? Or did he bring spares?

And how come everyone managed to look so clean and healthy after days and days (ha!) of living off random canned foods and candy bars and no shower facilities? Or toilets, for that matter...

Comment

I went and saw it last night. Didn't love it didn't hate it. The first half was fairly good. Watching NYC demolished was chilling but, like Shadow, I found the trek to NY pointless and unrealisitc. What did he think he was going to do when he got there? It's not like he brought any supplies with him. He could have just waited and flown in with the helicopters. And it felt like there was really no ending. I have to say though that I LMAO at the scene where the people were charging the Mexico border and the Mexicans were turning them away. Ah, the irony.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  Stupid American movie-maker arrogance.
                  But... how does that work when the director is German?
                  Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

The special effects in this film were great, and apparently very expensive. I'd recommed this film
                    __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                      But... how does that work when the director is German?
                      Quit defeating me with your silly logic, Pig Boy!

If not Ameri-centric because of the director, then it's Ameri-centric because of the production house/distributor. Most American-made disaster movies feature America almost exclusively, no matter how world-wide the disaster may be. Just a couple of "establishing shots" of other places... if you're lucky. I want to see just how global something is. America isn't the only country to suffer, after all.

And yes, the Americans rushing the border scene was hysterical!

Comment

Quit defeating me with your silly logic, Pig Boy!
                        Never!

If not Ameri-centric because of the director, then it's Ameri-centric because of the production house/distributor.
                        Oh, come on. Why don't you just blame it on the writers? That's what you do, isn't it? Come on, you know you want to...

Production house... Pfff
                        Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

If you look carefully a American punches some Mexican and runs across the border. And when the American's are cutting open the fences to get through. Good scene
                          __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
                            Never!
                            Better watch it or you'll be a STUCK Pig Boy!

Oh, come on. Why don't you just blame it on the writers? That's what you do, isn't it? Come on, you know you want to...
                            Definitely the writers... and everyone else, too. I'm happy to lay the blame on everyone in this case, including the actors for being stupid enough to take this assignment. Were they really that desperate for money??

Comment

Spoilers

*sigh* Poor wolves. How come they were the only ones to escape, anyway?
                              because if the zoo's collection of exotic squirrels had escaped, that sequence wouldn't have been half as interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by brandohall
                                because if the zoo's collection of exotic squirrels had escaped, that sequence wouldn't have been half as interesting.
                                You don't know much about squirrels, then.

Comment

Working...
                                X