No announcement yet.

"Deus Ex" franchise discussion/appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just tossed EMP mines on the ground in a circle around me (far enough away that it wouldn't hurt me) and waited for her to run into it, then just unloaded lots of bullets into her
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

You can also see her running in the water

What I did was get her to run in front of the generators, shoot them (I used the heavy rifle in all my boss fights, I had about 1k ammo at the end of the game for it). The electricity will damage her severely, and after doing this for each generator she dies. You can also shoot her while she's stunned (generator does this too).

I know (with regards to Australia) it's a story and at the end of the day I accept their story, but it still irks me. It would never happen, and in 16 years from now? Why couldn't they do any research?

Comment

Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post

I know (with regards to Australia) it's a story and at the end of the day I accept their story, but it still irks me. It would never happen, and in 16 years from now? Why couldn't they do any research?
        Well first you can argue that there have been many historical events that 16 years previously were thought to be impossible. Further I don't even see the scenario as that implausible. In the Deus Ex universe, as in real life, China is rapidly overtaking the U.S and the rest of the west, indeed, in the original Deus Ex, in 2052, China has become the major world superpower. It doesn't seem that unlikely then that two competing super powers would compete in a proxy war for precious resources like oil, especially, as in the Deus Ex universe, the resources are dwindling.

In real life the situation might be rather more complex than North= pro china, south = pro west, but I imagine they wanted to keep it simple for what was basically some background material, rather than having to explain at length Australian politics. But the basic idea that in a future were resources are more scarce, that proxy wars would flare up over control, that seems to me to be very plausible.

Comment

Just popping in to say Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the best impulse buy of my life, the best fps game I've played in years if not ever, and probably contains the best music of any video game.

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
          I'm in Montreal
          Spoiler:
          Holy crap, how am I meant to kill a woman I can't even see
          With LOTS of point blank shotgun shells if you want to do it my way. She can only do 3 special attacks in a row, then you can chase her around unloading into her back for free.

Or if you want it cheap 'N easy, two shots from the Typhoon.

If that's not cheap and cruel enough to quench your rage though you can apparently kill her with the tazer if you have enough ammo, keeping her in constant stunlock the entire time.

Just don't try to melee her. Just because you can grow blades out of your arms, drop two heavily armed guards in seconds simultainiously, punch through walls and toss a dumpster down the street like a football is no reason to think you can KO a chick with mechanical legs. No, not even after you've tazed her.

Aside from that last bit she didn't piss me off as much though. I actually thought she was kind of cool and was kind of disappointed the game forces you to kill her, ditto with
          Spoiler:
          the Russian dude that was like a living statue
          . Barret though F%#@! Barrett.

I got to that fight before really investing in any combat or defensive augs at all and my god the things I said about that man.
          Last edited by Ouroboros; 04 September 2011, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
            Spoiler:
            It's pedantic I know, but he's actually an Israeli.

Comment

Just popping in to say Deus Ex: Human Revolution is the best impulse buy of my life, the best fps game I've played in years if not ever, and probably contains the best music of any video game.

With LOTS of point blank shotgun shells if you want to do it my way. She can only do 3 special attacks in a row, then you can chase her around unloading into her back for free.

Or if you want it cheap 'N easy, two shots from the Typhoon.

If that's not cheap and cruel enough to quench your rage though you can apparently kill her with the tazer if you have enough ammo, keeping her in constant stunlock the entire time.

Just don't try to melee her. Just because you can grow blades out of your arms, drop two heavily armed guards in seconds simultainiously, punch through walls and toss a dumpster down the street like a football is no reason to think you can KO a chick with mechanical legs. No, not even after you've tazed her.

Aside from that last bit she didn't piss me off as much though. I actually thought she was kind of cool and was kind of disappointed the game forces you to kill her, ditto with
              Spoiler:
              . Barret though F%#@! Barrett.

I got to that fight before really investing in any combat or defensive augs at all and my god the things I said about that man.
              I figured out my own strategy of killing her. Stay out of her way when she's in attack mode and then sneak up behind her when she's recharging and shoot the power generator as she passes and use the heavy machine gun on her and run away before she recovers enough to chase me and just keep repeating that
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                It's pedantic I know, but he's actually an Israeli.
                Was that in the book? What's it called? I'm thinking I might get it since I felt the back story for these 3 was probably the only thing really missing from the game.

You never really learn why they're helping an organization that wants to
                Spoiler:
                use augmentations to control people.

I always assumed they were just ignorant of the larger picture and just doing it for the money, which was why I was disappointed how you don't even get to try to "illuminate" them as to what's really going on. I don't imagine any of them would be to in love with the idea of being
                Spoiler:
                bodily hijacked or driven insane through their augments
                given how heavily augmented they all were.

It was made especially annoying by the way they do let you out talk so many other characters and situations. Yet you're not allowed to drop this huge sinister conspiracy you've unraveled all over these seemingly clueless mercs and ask them if they still think what they're getting paid is enough.

Social aug for the win!

Comment

Was that in the book? What's it called? I'm thinking I might get it since I felt the back story for these 3 was probably the only thing really missing from the game.

You never really learn why they're helping an organization that wants to
                  Spoiler:
                  use augmentations to control people.

I always assumed they were just ignorant of the larger picture and just doing it for the money, which was why I was disappointed how you don't even get to try to "illuminate" them as to what's really going on. I don't imagine any of them would be to in love with the idea of being
                  Spoiler:
                  bodily hijacked or driven insane through their augments
                  given how heavily augmented they all were.

It was made especially annoying by the way they do let you out talk so many other characters and situations. Yet you're not allowed to drop this huge sinister conspiracy you've unraveled all over these seemingly clueless mercs and ask them if they still think what they're getting paid is enough.

Social aug for the win!
                  Yeah the book, Deus Ex: Icarus Effect, explains a lot about these characters. But it also basically explains why talking won't work. They're either in on the conspiracy with the
                  Spoiler:
                  Illuminati
                  or they are conditioned psychopaths who simply don't care, they're just happy to be on the side of the powerful and get paid to kill things.

Comment

Welp, my computer died over the weekend. I'm thinking it was my c:\ crapping out (which thankfully isn't the drive my DXHR is installed on), but it still means I wasn't able to finish the game over the long weekend like I'd planned
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Welp, my computer died over the weekend. I'm thinking it was my c:\ crapping out (which thankfully isn't the drive my DXHR is installed on), but it still means I wasn't able to finish the game over the long weekend like I'd planned
                      Damn, I'm sorry Get a PS3

I'm in Singapore apparently Looking for the Scientists.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
                        Yeah the book, Deus Ex: Icarus Effect, explains a lot about these characters. But it also basically explains why talking won't work. They're either in on the conspiracy with the
                        Spoiler:
                        Illuminati
                        or they are conditioned psychopaths who simply don't care, they're just happy to be on the side of the powerful and get paid to kill things.
                        I guess that makes it more clear. Doesn't really come across so much in the game though, and the game does let you
                        Spoiler:
                        reverse Hugh Darrow on himself after he's unleashed this huge master plan to make augmented people go insane because he wants to put the tech back in the bottle.
                        So it was kind of conspicuously absent that you can try to reverse/recruit just about everyone from angry aug hating terrorist leaders to that guy, but not the ones that would probably be the most directly useful, and who seemed to have the most flexible loyalties in the sense that mercs don't generally care about the employer's "cause".

Either way I ordered the book. Amazon says 1-2 months for delivery but that's got to be wrong.

Anyway how many of you all
                        Spoiler:
                        got a new biochip when yours started "glitching". If so, why so, and if not, why not. I didn't even remember the content of the opening cinematic and how it was relevant by that point in the game, but seeing everyone in Hengsha fall down at the same time was enough to convince me that random glitches they certainly weren't. I was kind of having second thoughts about it later thinking I might have missed a free praxis or two but then I got to that confrontation with Zhao Yun Ru and it was so satisfying watching that little toy of hers just click uselessly.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                          Get a PS3
                          I have all 3 current-gen consoles....I'd still never degrade Deus Ex by playing it with a controller

Comment

I have all 3 current-gen consoles....I'd still never degrade Deus Ex by playing it with a controller
                            Well you can get these really tiny keyboards for the PS3 you can use. Although you might need a telescope to see the buttons

Oh 3 you say? Which one's? PS3, Xbox360? Am I right with those two? What else. Kiddie computer?
                            sigpic

Comment

Playstation, Sexbox, and Wiiiiiiiii

Comment

Playstation, Sexbox, and Wiiiiiiiii
                                ah I was right with all three

I beat Jaron or whatever his name is. Thought it'd be the hardest out of the three but it was over in a minute. He was so easy to kill.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X