No announcement yet.

Skyline News/Discussion/Speculation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basically, it's the kind of movie you go to see if you aren't there for a solid plot.

Comment

Originally posted by Elitenova View Post
      Skyline.

What did you think of the movie? Did anybody saw the movie?
      As soon as I read that Eric Balfour was in the movie, I immediately lost any interest in the movie.
      Blog Twitter

Comment

people are tearing this movie apart online. not looking good
        https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

I thought it looked amazing when I saw the short trailer, but when I saw the extended one it looked corny as hell. Haven't actually seen the film yet though.

Comment

damn... i really loved the first teaser.... will watch this definitley! dont care about bad critics...
            sigpic

Comment

From Deadline.com :

Spoiler:
              As the alien invasion movie Skyline is unleashed today by Relativity Media and Universal, Sony Pictures Entertainment has released a teaser for Battle: Los Angeles, a big scale alien invasion movie set for released in March. The battle between these two films goes beyond a simple same-subject rivalry; there is real bad blood here. As Deadline first revealed in August, SPE has made noises about seeking legal recourse because Skyline directors Greg and Colin Strause run Hydraulx, the visual effects house that created many of the effects for the rival film.

The studio cried foul that the Straus siblings had access to every facet of Battle: Los Angeles's playbook and then went out and quietly made a rival film designed to hit the marketplace almost four months earlier. SPE never actually filed suit but there could be ramifications down the line if Skyline steals its thunder or if a case can be made that VFX innovations paid for by a film with exponentially more expensive found their way into Skyline.

Sounds pretty shifty of the Skyline filmmakers to say the least. In it for a quick buck.
              "Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" - Tom Zarek

Comment

Except the reason why the suite has not been filed was because Sony representatives were shown footage of SKYLINE, the CGI elements at least when Sony approach Hydraulx about them producing the CGI for Battle: Los Angeles. Sony at the same time were ask to buy the Movie Skyline, which was nearing the stage of being fully completed aleast the most important parts the CGI.

Sony case was that they were not told about Skyline before Sony signed contracts with Hydraulx to produce the CGI for Battle: Los Angeles, which a friend of mine as been told was pure bull****, as Hydraulx won the contract base of Skyline footeage, in fact the only ones as Sony who did not know about SKyline seems were the lawyers an the chief executives.
                That what I hear from one of my university lecturers who know a few people in the CGI industry America. That why Sony as been trying to sweep the whole thing under the carpet an have not filed the case in court.
                Think Sony Pissed because they paid Hydrouix a load of money for effects which can be done far cheaper an far less expensively. An a rival studio sure the chance to get one up on Sony an took it for all that it was worth.

Comment

I actually like the movie.
                  There only one reason to watch that this,
                  The only reason to see this alien suspense thriller is the nightmarish creature design, says Tim Robey.
                  Completly agree. Lovely aliens, lovely ships an lovely designs.
                  I liked the fact the aliens came here to kick ass and chew brains... and they are all outta brains. So should of been the tag line of the movie.

They were not interested in siting over our cities for hours on end to give us a chance to figure out what happening.
                  An they came here with there vaccinations bang up to date to an firewalls an computers fully patched. An no traitors in the ranks, an no long term, slow turning plan to take one human at a time, or spend years poisioning the atmospere. These aliens meant business an clearly were not mucking around.

I also relies in the first five minutes of the film that the critics were going to hate the movie, why because it a CGI infested movie with little to no characters, an really I do not think you would have time to give your life background stories why trying to keep safe from aliens either or full in love or even make jokes, an I think it shows in the figures how out of touch some critics are, 14% of critics liked an 75 % audience liked, at least on rotten tomatoe. But then they have not out right hated a movie this year an so they chose this one to pick on an unfairly to.

The CGI through out the movie was wicked, love the little drone flying through hords of alien fighters, a damage wing, an it still kept of fighting to the end, until it let of it nuclear missile.
                  Which destroyed the alien vessel, but the aliens simply rebuilt it an repaired it in minutes.

The designs of the alien vessels are unlike anything I have seen before an were outstanding, an I certainly understand why Sony want these guys from Battle: Los Angeles. I love the way they did not seem to have any central structures or bridges.

I have to criticise how the idea of humans being attracted to the light, which I thought was a under use plot throughout the film. An I thought it a shame we did not see a sequence say of joint strike fights attacking the vessels an there simply entering hovering mode an being suck out of the fighters which I think would of made a other awesome scene for the movie.

I did not like the ending an was clearly put in there by the studio exes who simply cannot not accept a film with a unhappy ending with us humans ending up on the dinner plate. I thought the film should have ended with the couple floating up towards the spaceship kissing why heading to there doomed. Then switch the sequence showing that this has also occurred in New York, London an Washington, showing that Human kind really has been annihilated an may the scene showing them eating humans brains an spine, the idea which clearly stolen from Destroy all Humans. There was no reason to show the boyfriend somehow taking over a alien, which turn a pretty good movie ending into a rubbish ending, especially if there not going to be a sequel.

I thought the actors an acting were alright for the film, but that because I did not going into the cinema to see great acting I went for the great CGI footage an some good story concepts, if under use concepts. But they did a adequate job, the guy playing the security guard, garage attentdent felt out of place to me through out the film, which to be honest could of done with out him. An I think they chose to many comic actors use to acting comedies rather than serious films. There nothing wrong with hiring TV actors, which seem to be one of the main attacks from critics that these were all TV actors.

I think the Strause brothers learnt a lot from AvP, an this films shows a lot of improvements from them.

Sequel protential,

hell yeah more than most other films certainly. Would love to see the alien attack from the military an home land security point of view. Also see how the Alienboyfriend an Girlfriend escape the alien vessel an fight the aliens. There also the whole resistence angle, or may be a rebuilt human race an the aliens are coming back for second servings. Sequel is probably likely has the brothers an the studios have alreadying made there money back on the films. An the brother kept ownership of the rights to the franchise to, meaning a second movie is almost a certainly an is not reliant on the studio agreeing to a sequel.

Oscar protential, almost zero, but the aliens designs an CGI should pick a award for one of the technical categories. Best CGI or designs an if the Oscars do not have such a strategy they should do.

Ratings, got what I expected so 8 out of 10.
                  Last edited by knowles2; 20 November 2010, 06:09 AM.

Comment

I thought it was HORRIBLE!! A sci fi movie set entirely in an apartment building??? And primarily, behind a set of blinds and a blanket. Yeah, a glimpse of an alien and a ship, but my GOD!!! I actually feel dumber for having seen it. Nobody exiting the theater, myself included, could believe we had just stared into a light and had the money sucked right out of our pockets!

Comment

I thought this movie was rather enjoyable. Was more the 'yeah, we're screwed' alien invasion, rather than the 'it's okay, we're severely un-advanced when compared, but throw our best scientists and military guys together, and we'll come up with an awesome plan to beat them'. It's unrealistic.

Truthfully, if we ever were invaded, there's a high chance we wouldn't live to tell of it. Any species that would be advanced enough to get here, would be advanced enough not to be caught out by our 'primitive' weaponry. That's one of the reasons I liked this film, it was realistic in the sense that no-matter what we tried, we ultimately ended up doomed.

It'll be interesting to see where they go with a sequel.
                      sigpic
                      It's Probin' Time!

Comment

i liked Skyline , is there going to be a part 2
                        sigpic
                        May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by antipodal View Post
                          As soon as I read that Eric Balfour was in the movie, I immediately lost any interest in the movie.
                          I love Eric Balfour, so naturally I enjoyed the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerilon View Post
                            I thought this movie was rather enjoyable. Was more the 'yeah, we're screwed' alien invasion, rather than the 'it's okay, we're severely un-advanced when compared, but throw our best scientists and military guys together, and we'll come up with an awesome plan to beat them'. It's unrealistic.

Truthfully, if we ever were invaded, there's a high chance we wouldn't live to tell of it. Any species that would be advanced enough to get here, would be advanced enough not to be caught out by our 'primitive' weaponry. That's one of the reasons I liked this film, it was realistic in the sense that no-matter what we tried, we ultimately ended up doomed.

It'll be interesting to see where they go with a sequel.
                            You're forgetting our secret weapon!

*looks around suspiciously*

... Water!

In any case. I would love to see this, but at the moment I can't find any info about a UK release...

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MIZA View Post
                              i liked Skyline , is there going to be a part 2
                              I believe there is yeah, at least, the brothers that produced the first wish to continue with the story. Not quite sure how they're going to do that mind, but hell, I'll watch it.

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                              You're forgetting our secret weapon!

*looks around suspiciously*

... Water!

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                              In any case. I would love to see this, but at the moment I can't find any info about a UK release...
                              You mean the Cinema Release Date? If so, you'll be waiting a while. It was on late 2010. The time for cinema-screenings has come and gone. The DVD release is March 21st.
                              sigpic
                              It's Probin' Time!

Comment

I mean they just left the ending with a big cliffhanger I hope they finish it
                                sigpic
                                May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X