Aliens and Predator Discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
    One of the things I always had in the back of my mind in the Alien movies. How did the humans travel from one area of space to the next? They never made mention of any form of faster then light travel. Unless I missed it?

It would take thousands of years from point A to reach point B.
    In the Colonial Marine Manual (official canon) it mentions that the Canestoga cruisers have a certain type of engine, and how many lightyears speed it has

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
    That's the things I hate about the Predator and Alien movies, a human smack in the middle. Biggest badasses in the galaxy, and they get their asses kicked because of a character shield. My perfect Alien/Predator movie is being done from the Alien/Predator perspective and let them rape anything and everything that moves. Screw humanity, I want carnage.
    Well, that's kinda what they did in Reqiuem, but it failed miserably. Too much gore and carnage with no decent story.

So far, one of my favourite AvP's has been the game. Not so much because of the gameplay, just because of the story and the way it pans out - that's right, an awesome Predator who DOESN'T die at the end.....
    sigpic
    385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

I wouldn't say AvP:R did it.

AvP:R was basically "oh no, my brother", "oh no, my daughter", "oh no, the girl I want to nail but has a douchebag boyfriend" with a bit of Predator mixed in and Alien in a few other places. If could have been more like it if they didn't focus on the human characters so much.

Add a Predator and Alien to a soap opera and you've basically got AvP:R (except Eastenders, as I think the Mitchell Brothers could probably take them both on).

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
        I wouldn't say AvP:R did it.

AvP:R was basically "oh no, my brother", "oh no, my daughter", "oh no, the girl I want to nail but has a douchebag boyfriend" with a bit of Predator mixed in and Alien in a few other places. If could have been more like it if they didn't focus on the human characters so much.

Add a Predator and Alien to a soap opera and you've basically got AvP:R (except Eastenders, as I think the Mitchell Brothers could probably take them both on).
        True, actually You've got me there.

As for thebolded bit, massive lolz......

Don't forget, Grant Mitchell is also Henno Garvie! Of course he'd win
        Last edited by Stewart5; 14 July 2010, 03:32 PM.
        sigpic
        385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
          One thing I will say for Requiem, is that the scene where the girl gets impaled by the predator ninja star thingy is ****ing amazing. Looks ridiculously realistic, never seen anything like it :O
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lQOvgG9P3M

01:17

Love it

Comment

See in the unedited movie, her torso falls apart, her legs and hips hitting the floor and her intestine spiling out. Am sorry, I am not quesy or afraid of blood, but that scene was pointless and unessecary.

check these

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
            sigpic
            385 Heroes coming Home

Here's to smart Mods

Comment

This is still one of my favorite scenes
              Last edited by puddlejumperOZ; 13 July 2010, 05:37 PM.
              My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
              sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                See in the unedited movie, her torso falls apart, her legs and hips hitting the floor and her intestine spiling out. Am sorry, I am not quesy or afraid of blood, but that scene was pointless and unessecary.
                I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Couldn't you say that about any gory death if you were so inclined?

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                  I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Couldn't you say that about any gory death if you were so inclined?
                  He could but what I think he meant was that it was somewhat too much for the Alien/Predator franchise,

Comment

While I thought the movie went overkill on gore, I found that scene necessary. She was a main character throughout the film. It shows us why this boy looses himself in a sea of rage and becomes brave enough to charge a Predator with an M16 rifle. Did it have to be so gory? Her bottom half falling off could have happened off screen, showing her upper half resting on the giant blade. That would have been enough to give emotional weight to the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Garrowan5th View Post
                      check these
                      Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                      These videos were made for the first AVP. The look of the creatures match up with their presentation in AVP1, not AVP2.

Comment

I guess for some of who are military, when you have seen that stuff in reality, you really don't need to see it on the big screen.

Comment

I agree, sometimes too much is too much. That said, I can understand that sometimes it's necessary for a specific scene to go too far to deliver that extra emotional punch. Take Cain's death in the original Alien film where the Alien pops out. That's really the only gorey scene in the whole film. Just about everything else is merely a body being found or something happening so fast, you don't know what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                            I agree, sometimes too much is too much. That said, I can understand that sometimes it's necessary for a specific scene to go too far to deliver that extra emotional punch. Take Cain's death in the original Alien film where the Alien pops out. That's really the only gorey scene in the whole film. Just about everything else is merely a body being found or something happening so fast, you don't know what happened.
                            I think that's why Alien remains the most popular of all the franchise, it was the suspense that got you in, if nothing else. Greened you Snow

Comment

I like monster flicks, which is why I like the Alien and Predator films. When AvP:R got made, it's as if the film makers thought we wanted to see monsters duke it out with lots of gore. Personally, I want to see a compelling story about people trying to survive an insane situation that would never have been expected. AvP1 was about people first, monsters second. The casual movie viewer is going to care more about the people than the monsters. That's why AvP:R fails, the human characters had zero development. Well, maybe Ricky... he went from zero to big brother's sidekick. That was about it, though.

Comment

True, and yet for all the negativity surrounding Alien3, when I re-watch it, the survival theme wa particlularly eloquant in that.

Comment

Working...
                                X