Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Might be writing a sci-fi novel sometime soon...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dark Soul View Post
    I have an idea for a book floating around in my head but I don't think I have enough ideas to actually make it a full length novel yet. I have a basic outline planned for at least 3 books but I need some more ideas for adventure and action in the book, otherwise the story line would be very boring.
    I hate to say it, but if you think a story is boring without adventure and action... then your book might already be doomed. There is more to a story than action-adventure. There is drama, humor, adventure, raw emotion, terror, suspense, the full range of the human emotional spectrum, the human condition, mystery, intrigue, and much, much more. Don't limit yourself to the done-to-death action-adventure genre. You want to write sequels... OK. Make sure the first book has an ending of some kind while leaving the door open for a sequel. What if there's not enough interest to warrant a sequel? Don't leave your readers waiting for a sequel that may never be. Give them an ending that closes the story while allowing your characters to return for a second adventure. For example, say you write a story about a cop fighting druggies. The first book could end where he defeats the drug gang but finds out about the drug lord. Defeating the drug gang is the ending, learning of a drug lord is the minor cliffhanger. In book two, the cop goes after the drug lord. See? Simple.

So, what would you like to see in a science fiction novel that maybe you can't find in a good sci-fi book these days? Give me some ideas people.
    If you want to be a good writer, you have to figure this out on your own. Don't be concerned with what others want to read about, tell your story as you envision it. By the way... what people want to see in a novel? Proofread your posts if you're going to be a writer!

Also, what would a good ancient space ship look like? Should I base it off of the ships in Stargate? Or should I try to come up with something unique? What is a more feasible method of transportation? Warp speed, hyperspace, wormhole travel (instant travel like the stargates), or something else all together?
    Don't base your ships off of anything, be original. You can borrow "elements," but be original. I am writing my own book which revolves around a space ship. Personally, I'm partial to solid-shape ships rather than ships that have all these big parts branching out everywhere. In the movie/TV realm, they look awesome. However, when you annalyse the ship, you realize how vulnerable it becomes if the shields fail in a fire fight.

The story line will be set in the near future (late 2012, early 2013) and will be similar to stargate due to the fact that the humans will continue using projectile weapons and as much earth tech as they can and it will all be top secret (general public won't know about it).
    Er... it sounds like you are ripping off Stargate. If you want to get this book published, don't do that, mate. Tell an original story. I will make up an example to help you out.

Example: A team of archeaologists, trying to dig up dinosaur bones, discover a burried alien ship that is millennia old. Once excavated, the U.S. Air Force take jurrisdiction. The ship is explored and it is discovered to be... Well, you can tell your story from there.

In regards to aliens, make them alien, but not too alien. A good example would be the Na'vi from James Cameron's epic Avatar. The aliens looked human from a glance, but they were clearly alien. I'd go with something akin to that. Then again, I loved SG-1's Goa'uld concept of an alien snake that could possess you by entering your body and taking control of your brain. That seems very original, I can't think of anything that compares. It's either original, or it's rarely been done.

Try and stay away from the "stargate" concept unless your story absolutely calls for it. Even then, make it as different from Stargate as possible, otherwise you risk being sued for copyright violation. In regards to space travel... use whatever method you want. I much prefer ships, and I like the idea of using something akin to a wormhole to zap somewhere instantly. Sublight engines could then be used to fly around the local area.

Remember, be original. Don't copy Stargate, tell your own story. Above all else, NEVER EVER SHARE YOUR STORY WITH ANYONE BUT YOUR FAMILY AND MOST TRUSTED FRIENDS.

Comment

you should try to incorporate beebop and rocksteady from ninja turtles.

Comment

Why would archaeologists try to dig up dinosaur bones? Also the Goa'uld/ alien parasite has been done to death. I can't be sure, but I think The Puppet Masters may have been first with that idea, but maybe not.
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

It's not the matter of what you write but how you write it. You can just take the basic concept of any show already seen and make it something different, changing characters and putting them in different situations, trying to show them from different perspectives, making the situations and characters your own.

I don't think people really want original sci-fi ideas that much. It's good to have new ideas but there's so much sci-fi out there that I don't think it's possible to have a really original and unique idea. They'll always compare you with others who have had the same idea and it's your job to make your idea and characters work. Like James Cameron's "Avatar'' isn't the most origina movie out there but he took the basic idea and turned it into something that made people pay 2,7 billion to watch it (and counting). Now, you don't have millions of dollars for special effects and it's a novel so it all depends on your skill as a storyteller and writer.
          - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
            Tell an original story. I will make up an example to help you out.

Example: A team of archeaologists, trying to dig up dinosaur bones, discover a burried alien ship that is millennia old. Once excavated, the U.S. Air Force take jurrisdiction. The ship is explored and it is discovered to be... Well, you can tell your story from there.
            I don't think this is anything really original... you know, there's Crichton's novel and movie "Sphere" that deals with situation like this. Or even "Alien'' movie... or tens of sci-fi show episodes. The thing is, you still need to think about what kind of story you'll tell and how will your characters look like. I still think that most important thing (in a novel) is charaterisation, story comes after it. It might be different in film but in a novel it all depends on your dialogues, characterisation etc.

I've just seen so many original ideas being destroyed by poor storytelling and dialogues (including my own) that I don't really believe in that "original idea" stuff anymore. It's safer to start from familiar territory and try to write story so that the main plot doesn't matter as long as characters are interesting and when you are comfortable, you can twist it a bit. That's how Babylon 5, SG-1 started and I hope that's how SGU follows. You start by introducing some basic premise and characters and exploring them in different situations and then, when the reader has invested some time in them, start experimenting.
            - the guest member of SGU book club

Comment

As the good authors say, don't let others write your story, let the characters and the story tell itself.

Comment

Working...
              X