No announcement yet.

Frank Herbert's Dune : Books & Movies Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read and absolutely adore the original, DUNE. But I refuse to read any of the sequels or prequels for fear that they may taint my memories of one of the greatest sci-fi stories ever written.

The Sci-Fi miniseries adaptation from a few years back was actually pretty good too.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I have yet to read Dune, but boy do I plan on reading it! Once i'm finished with what i'm reading now.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        The Sci-Fi miniseries adaptation from a few years back was actually pretty good too.
        Yeah I enjoyed that too, although I wasnt too fussed on the CGI.
        Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Originally posted by Shai Hulud View Post
          Anyone else a fan of, IMHO the greatest science fiction novel ever commited to paper?

Im certainly looking forwards to seeing what Pierre Morel can do with the story in 2012, I loved his latest, "From Paris With Love."
          YES! Hence my location.

I can't count the number of times I've read it, and the 5 sequels Herbert wrote are also great. My brother is also a huge fan and we're both trying to collect as many editions of the original as we can. But I don't really care for the prequels written by Brian Herbert and Keven J. Anderson, and really dislike the two sequels they wrote Hunters and Sandworms of Dune. The Dune universe ends with Chapterhouse to me.

I'm really looking forward to Morel's adaption as well, and the Sci-fi miniseries was pretty good, much better than Lynch's version in many ways.

sigpic

Comment

I loved Dune. I loved 1985's Dune--for what it was. I loved SciFi's Dune and, later, the Dune Messiah/Children of Dune mashup miniseries.

Aside from the original, I've only read Dune Messiah.

Comment

I've read and absolutely adore the original, DUNE. But I refuse to read any of the sequels or prequels for fear that they may taint my memories of one of the greatest sci-fi stories ever written.

Yup. I think the suggestion by a friend that I could do without the sequels (I think this was prior to the prequels being written) stuck: I wanted to read 'em, but couldn't get past the first few pages of the 2nd book (Heretics, right?). *shrugs*
              Heh. Maybe after I finish my current 'to read' pile (gah...I've been using that excuse for various books/series now )

I enjoyed the mini-series, too, including the Children of Dune mini-series.
              sigpic

Comment

Having not read the Dune books aside from the first two, can I assume that many feel about them as some do about Arthur C. Clarke's Rama books? Many love Rendezvous with Rama but can't stand the sequels.

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                  Yup. I think the suggestion by a friend that I could do without the sequels (I think this was prior to the prequels being written) stuck: I wanted to read 'em, but couldn't get past the first few pages of the 2nd book (Heretics, right?). *shrugs*
                  Heh. Maybe after I finish my current 'to read' pile (gah...I've been using that excuse for various books/series now )
                  Herbert's six novels go Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune.

The first 3 make up one trilogy focusing on Paul and the Atreides family, God Emperor is a sort of bridge novel, and then Heretics, Chapterhouse, and the unfinished Dune 7 were meant to be a second trilogy focusing on Duncan Idaho and a couple of other new characters.

I think, while the original Dune definitely stands on its own, Messiah and Children are worth reading for completing Paul's story arc. Then only if you can get through God Emperor should you continue on to Heretics and Chapterhouse, since that one kinda turns the whole Dune universe askew, but in a pretty cool way.

sigpic

Comment

"God Emperor" is an awesome title/honourific.
                    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                      Herbert's six novels go Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune.

The first 3 make up one trilogy focusing on Paul and the Atreides family, God Emperor is a sort of bridge novel, and then Heretics, Chapterhouse, and the unfinished Dune 7 were meant to be a second trilogy focusing on Duncan Idaho and a couple of other new characters.

I think, while the original Dune definitely stands on its own, Messiah and Children are worth reading for completing Paul's story arc. Then only if you can get through God Emperor should you continue on to Heretics and Chapterhouse, since that one kinda turns the whole Dune universe askew, but in a pretty cool way.
                      Yeah. I realized my mistake when I checked one of the earlier posts and then my bookshelf. (I have Dune, Messiah, Children, Chapterhouse, then House Atreides, I think)

sigpic

Comment

Well he's part-Kwisatz Haderach and part-Shai-Hulud and ruled the known universe for almost four millennia, I think he earned it.

sigpic

Comment

Ok, i'm getting confused. Only the first Dune is worth reading? That works for me...

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                            Ok, i'm getting confused. Only the first Dune is worth reading? That works for me...
                            You can't be that far into it, keep reading

Comment

You can't be that far into it, keep reading
                              I don't own it yet! I'm just saying that most of the books I get into a part of a series.....and I read so slow that it takes forever to finish a series....I'm easily distracted.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                                I don't own it yet! I'm just saying that most of the books I get into a part of a series.....and I read so slow that it takes forever to finish a series....I'm easily distracted.
                                lol

The first Dune is long and quite complex. The only author I can think of who put this much work into backstory and developing the world is Tolkien. Both are a bit daunting, but well worth it.

Comment

Working...
                                X