Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you get started on science-fiction?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    The two aren't mutually exclusive
    Oh I know, I love them both, but growing up admitting that would have had me disowned. And I know other households that do it in reverse.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee View Post
      I used to watch Dr. Who from behind the sofa. I reasoned that the gap between the sofa and the wall was too small for Daleks to get through.
      LOL! I was too young to really 'get' Dr Who at the time (we're talking maybe 3 or 4 here) but I do remember that if I was sitting on the couch and the music came on for the show that I would dive behind the couch because the opening music scared the crap out of me
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

July 20, 1969...I sat transfixed in front of our tv watching a man walk on the moon. yep I was only 7 and it made a huge impression. The manned Apollo program fueled my interest in space. I "discovered" isaac asimov's lucky starr series a few years later in the local library and have been a scifi afficionado ever since.

Am married to another scifi geek(also a NASA fan) and we have procreated another generation of geeks. (on a side note...my daughter is taking a science fiction course in university this year. )
        Last edited by Rac80; 01 May 2010, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
          LOL! I was too young to really 'get' Dr Who at the time (we're talking maybe 3 or 4 here) but I do remember that if I was sitting on the couch and the music came on for the show that I would dive behind the couch because the opening music scared the crap out of me
          Awwwwwwwwww....Evilgrin . Had the same effect on me as well. Well the theme music put me there.. the Daleks keep me behind the couch all night.

Comment

Wait a minute, which Doctor Who actor best portrayed the character?

Comment

Originally posted by Ragitsu View Post
              Wait a minute, which Doctor Who actor best portrayed the character?
              You might want to take that discussion to the Doctor Who sub-forum. That's a big topic
              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by Rac80 View Post
                July 20, 1969...I sat transfixed in front of our tv watching a man walk on the moon. yep I was only 7 and it made a huge impression. The manned Apollo program fueled my interest in space. I "discovered" isaac asimov's lucky starr series a few years later in the local library and have been a scifi afficionado ever since.

Am married to another scifi geek(also a NASA fan) and we have procreated another generation of geeks. (on a side note...my daughter is taking a science fiction course in university this year. )
                You made me smile, not because of how but because of the date, my birthday is July 20th, although a few years after the fact.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee View Post
                  I used to watch Dr. Who from behind the sofa. I reasoned that the gap between the sofa and the wall was too small for Daleks to get through.
                  Good tactic! It still works for me!
                  http://youtu.be/mXiMpdrapgg(Lazlo's latest movie "Space Captain"http://orionspace.info/index.php Lazlo's home
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by halfbloodme View Post
                    Have to say you have me seriously impressed. Star Wars and Star Trek can be two fandoms that really clash... I wasn't allowed to watch Trek growing up cos my father is such a huge Wars fan.
                    His family watched Trek. So there wasn't a big issue out of it. I was just the bigger Star Trek fan and he the bigger Star Wars fan. Now our 10 year old son can outfan us both with ST and SW. Sigh.
                    Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                      That music is brilliant! It scares so many young viewers (they seem to like being scared) and sets the mood for what lies ahead.
                      http://youtu.be/mXiMpdrapgg(Lazlo's latest movie "Space Captain"http://orionspace.info/index.php Lazlo's home
                      sigpic

Comment

trekkie born and raised! tng is one of first two non-kiddy shows i ever remember watching

couldnt imagine life without star trek, it has always been there... and now i cant imagine not having watched stargate either...
                        "...but I think if I were to describe myself in pure feminist forms, I would say I want equality. We want respect not because we're women, but simply because we're human beings..." AT 'Live peace. Speak kindness. Dwell in possibility.'

Comment

SG1 was my first sci fi show since then i have got into BSG/B5/SGA/SGU/firefly/fringe and sanctuary.
                          sigpic
                          The best written female character on trek ever.

Comment

Back to the Future is what got me started. My dad was a fan. I remember seeing bits and pieces of it around age 6 and then when I was a teen he got his hands on the DVDs. Also I read some Jules Verne - I have a copy of 20K Leagues Under the Sea with my grandma's name in the cover.
                            Then there was a bit of Thunderbirds ( ) and eventually friends at university got me into SG-1...
                            "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                            Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                            Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                            Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                            Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Also, watching Star Wars on Cable via Pay-Per-View back in the day sure did help a bunch.

Comment

I first got into scifi when i was little and id watch star trek tng on tv and i got into star wars when they had some 10th anniversery special on cbs or something hosted by james earl jones and they showed star wars on tv. And then once Babylon 5 got started i became obsessed with that. i guess ive always been attracted to the scifi genre.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X