The Dresden Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoiler:
    I'm predicting now that it's Mouse. Maybe. How come he doesn't make the "blend in sorta invisibility" potion more often? Well it would be too convenient I guess. Loooove his cleaning services. Wish I had that.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
      No, the seventh
      Spoiler:
      with Cowl and necromancy and just overall "Dresden has a lot on his shoulders".
      Spoiler:
      I'm predicting now that it's Mouse. Maybe. How come he doesn't make the "blend in sorta invisibility" potion more often? Well it would be too convenient I guess. Loooove his cleaning services. Wish I had that.
      Indeed I too wished that I had that kind of cleaning service like Harry's. The thing is that he can't tell anyone about it. They prove very useful in Dead Beat when his place is a mess and in other books.

More spoilery stuff
      Spoiler:
      At the beginning of In Blood Ties Dresden rescues a box full of "no ordinary puppies" for a client. One becomes his thru circumstances. Mouse is an unusual name for him.

A quote from Blood Rites: "Jobs are a part of life. Maybe you've heard of the concept. It's called work? See, what happens is that you suffer through doing annoying and humiliating things until you get paid not enough money. Like those Japanese game shows, only without all the glory".

Since you are reading the 7th book Dead Beat. Murphy is on vacation with Kincaid! Unbelievable. She perhaps wished that Harry asked her not to go. Marvra is one creepy baddy. This is a great book has very funny moments. You'll met "Sue" in battle. Harry is getting more and more powerful he's now capable of flipping a car onto an enemy.

Quote from Dead Beat: "Harry?" Bob asked. "Are your feet wet? And can you see the pyramids?"
      I blinked. "What?"
      "Earth to Dresden," Bob said. "You are standing knee-deep in De Nile."
      Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.
      Nina: Everything else was taken.

Comment

I know this thread is probably dedicated to the books. But I got the TV series on DVD today! I haven't seen it since it aired on SyFy in 2007 so I hope to enjoy as much as I did. Of course the books are better but I view them differently.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
          I know this thread is probably dedicated to the books. But I got the TV series on DVD today! I haven't seen it since it aired on SyFy in 2007 so I hope to enjoy as much as I did. Of course the books are better but I view them differently.
          Oh that's fine. The series isn’t that bad but it's clearly made to be mainstream and made not to offend regular people. It's an AU Dresden since they made so many changes. I bought the dvd series a while ago when it came out just to see the differences. In the series Bob isn't just a spirit in a skull but some guy, Murphy never believes in the supernatural and that's disappointing, there is no cat and Dresden carries a hockey stick instead of his wizard staff, he doesn't wear a pentagram, has a totally different car etc... In the series Dresden is kind of silly and mostly a powerless guy. In the books Dresden can defend himself and has some great one liners.
          Last edited by geekywraith; 05 March 2010, 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling
          Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.

Comment

Spoiler:
            That was so awesome when he did that flipping the car. But scared for Harry with his new powers, well more anxious cause I keep wondering what else could he do. And those necromancers are pretty strong too, want to see how they match up against Dresden.

Comment

Spoiler:
              That was so awesome when he did that flipping the car. But scared for Harry with his new powers, well more anxious cause I keep wondering what else could he do. And those necromancers are pretty strong too, want to see how they match up against Dresden.
              Ah yes it was. A very cool moment.

Spoiler:
              When he flipped that car onto Cowl it exhausted him. Harry powers are destructive especially when he’s angry. I like the fact that when he was talking to Lasciel people thought that he was nuts since they couldn't see her. Harry's powers are going to grow and become kind of scary especially in the book White Night. Dead Beat is very good, keep reading it's full of great moments.

Comment

Spoiler:
                I finished it, and HOOOLY CRAP. He rides a t-rex?!?! HAHAHAHA, that's so awesome. Ok this one is my favorite one so far even though it didn't have Murphy. Sooo complex with everything that happens to him, I feel bad for him with all his burdens he puts himself through for others. He's a classic underdog hero. That was just epic. Can't wait for the next one. And wow the White Council finally acknowledges his problems and goodness and potential. Feel bad that they were diminished in power though.

Comment

That's great! You read fast. Dead Beat is one of my favorite books.

Spoiler:
                  To be honest I didn't really miss Murphy in the story because so much is happening. Indeed Dresden is the classic underdog hero and that's why he's such a great character. In each book Dresden puts himself in harms way to protect his friends and his city. I don't like the White Council. The next book is Proven Guilty. When movie monsters start coming to life Dresden has to figure out why. Molly is in that story. The 9th book White Night is very good. Harry is kind of scary in it. You'll see.

Quote: Butters “Polka will never die”

I found this illustration of Harry and Sue...
                  Spoiler:
                  Last edited by geekywraith; 05 March 2010, 08:51 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Spoiler:
                    Yea, Murphy does tend to get in the way. He was sorta scary towards the end too with his threats to Marva. Oh yea, Butters was surprising. Can't wait. And that pic just awesome and how do people just turn a blind eye to that?! Have you ever seen Angel? Reminds me a bit of Harry.

Comment

More spoilery stuff
                      Spoiler:
                      Indeed Murphy does get in the way... I liked how dark he can be with enemies. In White Night he's even scarier. Butters is a little guy that proved to be very brave in battle. The book has many memorable moments and off course very funny lines. I found the illustration by chance today. It's pretty amazing to actually see it, rather than imagining it. Yes I've seen Angel... Yeah I can see how he might look a bit like him.
                      Last edited by geekywraith; 05 March 2010, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Meant overall the show and this book series, has some similarities. Angel Investigations...Dresden Investigations or does it just say wizard under his name not sure. But, Dresden trumps just about anything I've read, although I'm not that well read.

Spoiler:
                        Every time he does magic he draws from his emotions, but he always manages to control it a bit. I love his subconscious, he's great and puts things in perspective. Cassius's death was sorta dark but Harry was just staying true to his word. Cassius's curse was unexpected, but Dresden seems alone for the most part anyways. Feel bad for Harry though. Exciting to see what his new role as a Warden will bring. Love how the story just keeps going up and up. Unlike other stories where they sorta diminish or cap off. And crazy, the ability of the Council and their power.

Comment

Ah... ok. Well never thought of it. Yes it does have similarities. Dresden advertises himself as a wizard. He does some private investigation. They both fight the baddies but they are different.

Spoiler:
                          Harry being a Warden is a serious matter. I see him as a rebel that doesn't like authority very much. The Council are a bunch of very powerful and dangerous wizards. The story keeps going strong.

Comment

Turn Coat (11th book) is now available in paperback from Roc publishing.

Turn Coat (book 11) description:
                            Spoiler:
                            "The Warden Morgan has been accused of treason against the Wizards of the White Council—and there's only one, final punishment for that crime. He's on the run, wants his name cleared, and needs someone with a knack for backing the underdog. Someone like Harry Dresden...

Now, Harry must uncover a traitor within the Council, keep a less-than-agreeable Morgan under wraps, and avoid coming under scrutiny himself. And a single mistake may cost someone his head—someone like Harry."

Changes, book 12 of The Dresden Files will hit stores April 6th!

Four sample chapters will be posted each Tuesday, until the release of the book.
                            http://jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/12/

Changes (book 12) description:
                            Spoiler:
                            “Long ago, Susan Rodriguez was Harry Dresden's lover-until she was attacked by his enemies, leaving her torn between her own humanity and the bloodlust of the vampiric Red Court. Susan then disappeared to South America, where she could fight both her savage gift and those who cursed her with it.

Now Arianna Ortega, Duchess of the Red Court, has discovered a secret Susan has long kept, and she plans to use it-against Harry. To prevail this time, he may have no choice but to embrace the raging fury of his own untapped dark power. Because Harry's not fighting to save the world...

He's fighting to save his child.”

You can follow Jim Butcher on twitter: http://twitter.com/longshotauthor

Comment

Originally posted by geekywraith View Post
                              Turn Coat (11th book) is now available in paperback from Roc publishing.

Turn Coat (book 11) description:
                              Spoiler:
                              "The Warden Morgan has been accused of treason against the Wizards of the White Council—and there's only one, final punishment for that crime. He's on the run, wants his name cleared, and needs someone with a knack for backing the underdog. Someone like Harry Dresden...

Now, Harry must uncover a traitor within the Council, keep a less-than-agreeable Morgan under wraps, and avoid coming under scrutiny himself. And a single mistake may cost someone his head—someone like Harry."

Changes, book 12 of The Dresden Files will hit stores April 6th!

Four sample chapters will be posted each Tuesday, until the release of the book.
                              http://jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/12/

Changes (book 12) description:
                              Spoiler:
                              “Long ago, Susan Rodriguez was Harry Dresden's lover-until she was attacked by his enemies, leaving her torn between her own humanity and the bloodlust of the vampiric Red Court. Susan then disappeared to South America, where she could fight both her savage gift and those who cursed her with it.

Now Arianna Ortega, Duchess of the Red Court, has discovered a secret Susan has long kept, and she plans to use it-against Harry. To prevail this time, he may have no choice but to embrace the raging fury of his own untapped dark power. Because Harry's not fighting to save the world...

He's fighting to save his child.”

You can follow Jim Butcher on twitter: http://twitter.com/longshotauthor
                              Oh gowd, *pokes eyes out*

There I will pretend I never saw that. How do I give myself amnesia?

Oh yea, started Proven Guilty:
                              Spoiler:
                              Pretty good and that city replica magic detecting idea is very clever. It doesn't all go to hell right away, well the car crash. Also have to ask will McNally's past ever be explained and why he seems like an epic character? Although I've noticed the last two books are tad bit longer and drag on some parts. The author trying to add descriptions or trying to increase his revenue with the pay-per-word deal?

Comment

Oh gowd, *pokes eyes out*
                                There I will pretend I never saw that. How do I give myself amnesia?
                                Oh I wish that I could do that sometimes. It was in spoilers tags and it's the books official description not really a spoiler...

Proven Guilty
                                Spoiler:
                                The replica of the city is neat and a dangerous spell. McNally’s is an odd character. The description of his bar is always the same. Who or what he is hasn’t been explained yet. Proven Guilty is a longer book. I do like the movie monsters coming to life. Not my favorite book and Molly is in it a major way. I don’t like her character very much. She gets Harry into trouble with the white council because of her use of magic and it’s not the last time we see her.
                                Last edited by geekywraith; 06 March 2010, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X