No announcement yet.

The Dresden Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dresden’s smartss’ed attitude is just great. That's why I like the books so much. I agree that that the showdowns are handled in a great way. I dislike when books or series are too serious and grim. Harry teasing an adversary is always hilarious.

Yes Dresden has rings in his hands to collect kinetic energy but to have some on his toes? That’s an idea. Making baddies crash into a brick wall after a powerful kick.

About the shape shifter in Turn Coat. Morgan did say that it’s feeds on magic and kills wizards. Each time it kills a wizard it becomes more powerful. It’s ancient and powerful maybe that’s why it’s almost invulnerable to magic. Morgan used an atomic bomb to kill one. Perhaps like you said it uses disruptive magic and Dresden could find a way around it.

Some characters appear and not much is known about them. Gard maybe has some precognition abilities like she and Marcone conveniently rescued Dresden in that alley in Dead Beat. She's probably not a foreteller because other people would know (like Bob) about prophecies involving Dresden. If they hadn't come along, maybe he would be dead. Remember in Fool Moon Marcone wanted to recruit Dresden to work for him and he refused. Gard was later hired and she has some magic abilities. Not much is know maybe she’s isn’t even human.

I don’t think there will be any Spanish in the book because of the readers. It could be interesting but kind of unnecessary. We never saw other languages written before like in White Night when Dresden talks to Ghouls and other creatures (thanks to Lasciel). Dresden isn't very good at languages. When he talks in Latin at meetings he makes the White Council cringe.

Indeed age doesn’t matter in the books. They don’t talk about it.

You’ll get somewhat of what you wish for. There will be a short story written from Marcone's perspective on the events in Small Favor. Marcone could be considered a baddie. Indeed it would be hilarious reading the perspective of a villain that got beaten by Dresden. Perhaps Mavra the Black Court vamp? Written in an over the top villain type of way.
    Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.
    Nina: Everything else was taken.

Comment

Wonder if Harry can do some of his own maneuvering. Like get the Denarians to fight the Faerie courts. I mean the Black Council are terribly good at maneuvering. It'd be nice to have the good guys doing some string pulling. But that's a political field I don't wanna really read. Maybe the White Council can do it, but probably not.

The White Council is soooo lame. They do nothing except fight when threatened. No morality or common sense. No wonder they were so easily manipulated. Sure they're powerful but they have no brain to go with the powers.

I wanna see Sue again, lol. She was just cool.

Ahh about the shapeshifter. Makes sense that it would have developed such abilities. It is a fallen god after all. I wanna know what else kind of powers that demon thing in the island has. But I fear that might have been a one time thing. And it's pretty far out, except through the nevernever.

I definitely wanna see a book about Mac, cause he's probably the most intriguing character. I think he might be the old Merlin? Maybe, or even the original Merlin. Or Arthur. Who knows. Dang, I hope we find out more about him. He sort of has a presence and is never messed with, neither by the good or the bad. Gard is definitely supernatural cause she's old, centuries old.

Marcone may be a baddie but he's the lesser of two evils. He keeps the crime to organized chaos. Plus he cares if children get caught in the cross-fire. He's one of the necessary evils, I guess. Better than the alternative.

Comment

Well just hope and see now the upcoming book will turn out. I don’t think that it will be about who’s pulling the stings and politics. Dresden is in battle mode kind of like in Dead Beat. The Beta reader that read the book on the JB forum said that Changes is as good or even better that Dead Beat. That made me very happy and can’t wait.

Yes it would be nice if the good guys pulled some strings. Dresden often messes up the Black Councils scheming. Well the White Council is not very likable and lacking brain power At least there’s the apparent Grey Council in which Eb McCoy is part of. He can break the rules (like being an executioner for the White Council)

The Island is called Demonreach and is a scary place. I think that we might see Harry go there again.

I hope that Susan doesn’t betray Dresden. She’s been away for so long and he should be cautious around her.

Mac did surprise Dresden buy actually talking he’s usually quiet. Maybe he’s like Kincaid but retired… He’s a mystery. Perhaps some key members of the White Council will help but that would surprise me. They are probably going to give Dresden some grief.

Marcone did show Dresden a softer side when he found out about the kid. He's not too bad.
        Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.

Comment

Did anyone even notice the sigils on Dresden’s wizard staff?

The word "matrix" is written in Katakana on it. Apparently it was a personal joke between the illustrator and his girlfriend (who is Japanese). Why? It’s because at the time they were talking about the Matrix movies.

And the Fedora Dresden wears wasn’t the illustrator's idea.
          In the books Dresden doesn't wear a hat and there is no mention of one.
          Last edited by geekywraith; 22 March 2010, 05:04 PM. Reason: added more

Comment

Wow, as good as Dead Beat. That's blasphemous talk. Wow, really can't wait.

Oh yea, Grey Council, that works. Harry needs to learn some new magic though. He has a fondness for fire. Well, there's the soulfire thing.

Don't think we have to worry much about Susan, more worried about Martin, the guy she travels with. Wow, so he actually does have a kid, maybe. The pic and all. Read the 3 chapters. Didn't know that there were a lot more non-turned vampires. Martin is probably one too?

Marcone's a bit annoying to me, cause he's just there and thinks too highly of himself. Well, at least there's no Molly I think. Yea, Mac mysterious, etc. And wow he talked! lol, well used grammar. Crazy.

So vampires have souls, well the White Court does at least cause Thomas had one. Guessing the other two probably do as well.

Had no idea, Matrix. He looks like a cowboy or a bandit or something, lol. But it's more for practicality, the coat shield. Wish they had some of the other characters on the cover. But he is the lone soldier I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by geekywraith View Post
              [IMG]http://i579.photobucket.com/albums/ss234/wraith_cookiemonster2006/random%20pictures/web_pict-df-wizard-staff.jpg[/IG]

Did anyone even notice the sigils on Dresden’s wizard staff?

The word "matrix" is written in Katakana on it. Apparently it was a personal joke between the illustrator and his girlfriend (who is Japanese). Why? It’s because at the time they were talking about the Matrix movies.

And the Fedora Dresden wears wasn’t the illustrator's idea.
              In the books Dresden doesn't wear a hat and there is no mention of one.
              Awesome I love the Matrix trilogy, the world of the Dresden Files sometimes seems similar to the world of the Matrix, a world with secrets around every corner.

I still haven't got a hold of Summer Knight yet, its killing me! Especially with the somewhat cliffhanger at the end of Grave Peril. I've been rewatching the TV series, and I gotta say I would love for Jim Butcher to make a novel dealing with Dresden accidently ending up in an alternate universe that is the TV version of The Dresden Files! I think it would be quite fun and full of humor.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                By the way which Susan are you talking about, Huntress? Before her change or after? Which ones have you read so far, don't want to spoil things. Why we initially did the whole spoiler tags.
                I have read the first four books in order up to "The Summer Knight" and nothing after that except for "Small Favor". I NEVER liked Susan. She is so very blond eventhough she is supposed to be a Latina, if you know what I mean. Even Murphy would make a better girlfriend and I know that Harry had flirted with the idea
                He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                  Wow, as good as Dead Beat. That's blasphemous talk. Wow, really can't wait.

Oh yea, Grey Council, that works. Harry needs to learn some new magic though. He has a fondness for fire. Well, there's the soulfire thing.

Don't think we have to worry much about Susan, more worried about Martin, the guy she travels with. Wow, so he actually does have a kid, maybe. The pic and all. Read the 3 chapters. Didn't know that there were a lot more non-turned vampires. Martin is probably one too?

Marcone's a bit annoying to me, cause he's just there and thinks too highly of himself. Well, at least there's no Molly I think. Yea, Mac mysterious, etc. And wow he talked! lol, well used grammar. Crazy.

So vampires have souls, well the White Court does at least cause Thomas had one. Guessing the other two probably do as well.

Had no idea, Matrix. He looks like a cowboy or a bandit or something, lol. But it's more for practicality, the coat shield. Wish they had some of the other characters on the cover. But he is the lone soldier I guess.
                  Awesome. Chapter 4 was just posted tonight and it’s very good! Epic and funny!
                  Dresden quotes Tolkien! “Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger” (Gandalf)

Chapter 4 of Changes. It’s the last sample chapter to be posted. Now we’ll have to wait for the release of the book April 6th.

http://jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/12/

Indeed blasphemous talk but I hope the beta who read the book before the release was right.
                  I like it when Dresden destroys enemies and things and buildings with his powers. He’ll probably use untapped powers and use new ones.

Martin is like Susan a half-turned vampire. I’m quite happy so far with chapters 1 to 4. No sign of Molly! Yay! Half-turned vampires still have their souls but if they make that first kill then they are lost forever. I don't remember if all the White Court have souls like Thomas. I wonder if we’ll see him in Changes.

About the covers. I really don’t like the hat. It was the publisher’s idea to make the character more mysterious…The earlier covers didn’t have the same illustrations. But I don't really mind these newer illustrations.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                    Awesome I love the Matrix trilogy, the world of the Dresden Files sometimes seems similar to the world of the Matrix, a world with secrets around every corner.

I still haven't got a hold of Summer Knight yet, its killing me! Especially with the somewhat cliffhanger at the end of Grave Peril. I've been rewatching the TV series, and I gotta say I would love for Jim Butcher to make a novel dealing with Dresden accidently ending up in an alternate universe that is the TV version of The Dresden Files! I think it would be quite fun and full of humor.
                    That makes perfect sense. Both are a world of mysteries and illusions. Things are not what they appear to be.

Summer Knight is good but it deals with the Fae’s and their politics. It can be a bit confusing at times with all the winter and summer characters. There’s a great moment of friendship between Dresden and Murphy. They battle a plant monster and it's funny. The cliffhanger in Dead Beat is still open. Mavra is still on the loose. Dresden did tell her/it that he would kill her/it if it threatened or hurt his friends again. Dead Beat is an amazing book.

I think Dresden from the books would go: what the *bleep* is he saw how silly and powerless AU TV Harry is. It would be odd.

Comment

Originally posted by geekywraith View Post
                      That makes perfect sense. Both are a world of mysteries and illusions. Things are not what they appear to be.

Summer Knight is good but it deals with the Fae’s and their politics. It can be a bit confusing at times with all the winter and summer characters. There’s a great moment of friendship between Dresden and Murphy. They battle a plant monster and it's funny. The cliffhanger in Dead Beat is still open. Mavra is still on the loose. Dresden did tell her/it that he would kill her/it if it threatened or hurt his friends again. Dead Beat is an amazing book.

I think Dresden from the books would go: what the *bleep* is he saw how silly and powerless AU TV Harry is. It would be odd.
                      Yeah both Dresdens would probably fling insults at each other. They would make fun of each others clothes and other small things, and the book Dresden would probably end up not caring what happens to the AU TV world.

I'm honestly not looking forward to reading Summer Knight, as it doesn't sound very good. But I plan on buying more than one Dresden book at once(since they are very cheap in paperback) to be satisfied, maybe even the Storm Front prequel graphic novel.

Comment

Indeed. Dresden is the master of smart’ssd insults. So they would constantly insult each other.

Well Summer Knight isn’t bad it has important plots for the other books. Since the books are in available paperback you could buy it as part of the Dresden Files series of books.

The graphic novel Storm Front is good. Part two will be released in November. The first graphic novel Welcome to the Jungle is very good.

http://www.randomhouse.com/delrey/au...authorid=84567

Comment

LOL, chapter 4 was hilarious! Oh man, Harry used to have trouble with vamps and his spells weren't that deadly. But now, wow. But it was mostly hilarious esp the end, he mailed in the rent. lol. Can't wait.

In one of the books, I think Harry or some other person made fire into like a thin concentrated line that just cut through everything. Think Harry can manage that? Just cut off the head like that.

About alternate Dresden and book Dresden, they might try to kill each other first until the insults fly before they realize they're the same, lol. Probably about "your mother" and the other one will go dude, we have the same mother. lol.

Can't wait. That was hilarious. "They told us they were cleaning for asbestos", LOL.

Comment

Chapter 4 was great. Changes looks very promissing. Lots of action and some very funny lines. Harry’s powers as a wizard are growing. I enjoyed seeing how well he destroyed his enemies and the doing damage in the building. Insurance companies might no want his as a client. Yes the end was very funny about the rent.

About the fire thing that cuts through everything. It would be usefull. I think that’s from Small Favor when something was trying to let through from the Nevernever. It cut thought buildings and left fire. Harry might be able to do a powerfull similar spell. If it not from Turn Coat it might be when Lasciel shadow was a guest in his mind and gave him access to hellfire. I’m not sure.

Dresden subconcious is a smart’ssed. In Fool Moon and in some other book they talk and it's funny/ They are the same person but they banter.

Countdown to the release of the book on April 6th…

Comment

I won't be able to read Changes for a while. I need to read the the others first. And I might wait for the paperback too, as I own the first three in paperback. I might not buy them in hardback until I own them all (something I like to do for some reason.)

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                                I won't be able to read Changes for a while. I need to read the the others first. And I might wait for the paperback too, as I own the first three in paperback. I might not buy them in hardback until I own them all (something I like to do for some reason.)
                                You'll be surprised how fast the books go by. I was and a bit down after I had finished.

lol We should have a ticker that counts down til release date. Ahh in Small Favors, gotcha. Just want to see him use new magic. Maybe have him encounter someone with water magic and see how he handles that. It would be pretty awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                X