Mass Effect universe discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*jumps on the bandwagon*

I got Mass Effect before Christmas last year...but I got stuck, and then got really into Half-Life. I recently restarted it and got addicted. I played it for eight hours straight the other day...I'm going to have to get Mass Effect 2 right away after I finish the game and play through that, then eagerly wait for Mass Effect 3.

Comment

Originally posted by dosed150 View Post
      shame shes probably still a racist god botherer
      Ah well, at least she's not a judgmental twit.

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
        Ashley looks even hotter
        I thought that was Miranda.

I hope they don't go too wild with this honestly. Ashley's supposed to be an alliance marine after all, and it looks like they've got her wearing bright blue eyeshadow in that pic.

"but it matches my battle armor!"

Either way I didn't romance her though, and actually got her killed off in my "main" play through because I'd sent Kaiden to arm the bomb and defending that, not necessarily him, seemed way more important.

I always felt she had a point with her less than flowers and sunshine outlook on the various aliens however. The alien races aren't all out to conquer Earth and enslave humanity but they're certainly not going to put humanity's interests ahead of, or likely even equal, to their own. That's pretty much to be expected really.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
          I thought that was Miranda.

I hope they don't go too wild with this honestly. Ashley's supposed to be an alliance marine after all, and it looks like they've got her wearing bright blue eyeshadow in that pic.

"but it matches my battle armor!"

Either way I didn't romance her though, and actually got her killed off in my "main" play through because I'd sent Kaiden to arm the bomb and defending that, not necessarily him, seemed way more important.

I always felt she had a point with her less than flowers and sunshine outlook on the various aliens however. The alien races aren't all out to conquer Earth and enslave humanity but they're certainly not going to put humanity's interests ahead of, or likely even equal, to their own. That's pretty much to be expected really.
          Well at least with her it's just really a case of her, quite literally, letting her hair down, rather than being "redesigned" with massive breasts.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
            Well at least with her it's just really a case of her, quite literally, letting her hair down, rather than being "redesigned" with massive breasts.
            *Is drawn to the thread*

What are we talking about?
            sigpic

Comment

At least they did away with that god awful pink and white easter bunny armor. I used to give her the first armor I found even if it was better than Sheppard's just to get rid of that eyesore.

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
              *Is drawn to the thread*

What are we talking about?
              Exactly how Bioware's devs compensated for it when they saw how well Yvonne Strahovski's face translated into the game.

Comment

ME3 delayed till sometime in 2012
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Normally, I'd be annoyed w/ news of a delay, but after my disappointment w/ Dragon Age 2, I actually felt glad.
                  Hopefully they use that time wisely and really polish the game.
                  I'd rather wait, even for another year, than be disappointed again.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gotthammer View Post
                    Normally, I'd be annoyed w/ news of a delay, but after my disappointment w/ Dragon Age 2, I actually felt glad.
                    Hopefully they use that time wisely and really polish the game.
                    I'd rather wait, even for another year, than be disappointed again.
                    I'd have to second that. Let them take all the time they need to get it right. I really don't want the whole "galaxy" to consist of 3 "planets" with continuously recycled building interiors.

It's nice to see that someone actually payed attention to the rather enormous backlash they got over the rushed elements of DA2.

That said though, If I don't get Wrex and Garrus and Jack back in my party I'm still going to hate them in a petty and impotent way.

Comment

Well I’m not too upset, there are plenty of good game coming out round the ned of the year anyway, and some extra time to polish won’t hurt. That being said Mass Effect 3 was already on a 2 year development cycle, rather than the 18 month period Dragon Age 2 got, so I wasn’t worried about things being rushed. Since this is the finale of the trilogy though, the pressure’s on them to make the game fantastic, so hopefully a few extra months of development time will help with that.

It won’t matter to half the idiots on the Bioware Social network though, as usual every time Bioware release a game, it’s “ruined forever, everyone at Bioware should lose their jobs and EA is the devil.”

Comment

It won’t matter to half the idiots on the Bioware Social network though, as usual every time Bioware release a game, it’s “ruined forever, everyone at Bioware should lose their jobs and EA is the devil.”
                        I'm hoping they make Tali have a zit covered Predator face just so I can go there and lap up the tears after.

Those forums give a pretty slanted view though. The people that liked the game are playing it not whining on the forum. Dragon age 2 was not what I'd consider to be an excellent game but I did like it better than 1 and it's got potential. It just needs more diverse content, a problem that likely arose do to it being rushed but that could theoretically be at least somewhat remedied via dlc.

I was actually kind of disappointed that Sebastian's DLC didn't take place in his homeland like I thought it would, just for the change of scenery. That is where you'd think his family estate would be right.

I still like the game but I did get stuck at the beginning of act 3 on my second play through. The lack of diversity in things to do and places to go really does murder the replay value. Without the novelty of seeing how the story will play out it's hard to find things to stay interested in with 2 acts already in the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                          I'm hoping they make Tali have a zit covered Predator face just so I can go there and lap up the tears after.

Those forums give a pretty slanted view though. The people that liked the game are playing it not whining on the forum. Dragon age 2 was not what I'd consider to be an excellent game but I did like it better than 1 and it's got potential. It just needs more diverse content, a problem that likely arose do to it being rushed but that could theoretically be at least somewhat remedied via dlc.

I was actually kind of disappointed that Sebastian's DLC didn't take place in his homeland like I thought it would, just for the change of scenery. That is where you'd think his family estate would be right.

I still like the game but I did get stuck at the beginning of act 3 on my second play through. The lack of diversity in things to do and places to go really does murder the replay value. Without the novelty of seeing how the story will play out it's hard to find things to stay interested in with 2 acts already in the bag.
                          But like Tali. Unfortunately everyone else on the internet who seems to like her can best be described as a bunch of slobbering weirdoes.

As for Dragon Age 2, it’s not a game without its problems, in fact I’d argue it’s Bioware’s worst game in recent memory. But it’s still good and enjoyable, and the constant “waahh it’s totally ruined” posts drown out the people with actual constructive criticism on the Bioware Social forums. Part of the problem seems to be that a good chunk of the Bioware “fan base” seem to border on the psychotic, it’s worse than round here at the height of arguments about SGU.

Honestly I sometimes wonder why Bioware continue to interact with their “fan community”. They’re often bombarded by slurs, insults and personnel attacks and you even have people calling for Bioware employees to be fired.

Comment

But like Tali. Unfortunately everyone else on the internet who seems to like her can best be described as a bunch of slobbering weirdoes.
                            I liked her as well going into ME2. I even almost had my main guy romance her until I decided Jack was better. Her fan base essentially ruined her for me though. I know it's not fair to the character or the people writing the character for that to have an influence, but it does. I can't help it.

As for Dragon Age 2, it’s not a game without its problems, in fact I’d argue it’s Bioware’s worst game in recent memory. But it’s still good and enjoyable, and the constant “waahh it’s totally ruined” posts drown out the people with actual constructive criticism on the Bioware Social forums. Part of the problem seems to be that a good chunk of the Bioware “fan base” seem to border on the psychotic, it’s worse than round here at the height of arguments about SGU.

Honestly I sometimes wonder why Bioware continue to interact with their “fan community”. They’re often bombarded by slurs, insults and personnel attacks and you even have people calling for Bioware employees to be fired.
                            Yeah I don't exactly spend a lot of time reading those forums, and I've never posted there, but I have seen this, people just totally divorced from reason and reality. Some of them take it like a personal insult or some kind of crime that the game sucked for them. A ****ty game is just that, a ****ty game, but the way some of these people act you'd think Bioware employees had come to their house and personally strangled their beloved dog in front of them.

Comment

Fortunately all the whining is for naught--DA2 was an awesome game
                              "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

DA2? 'Awesome'? IMHO, not even close. *shrugs*

Maybe if it were a game released by a much smaller developer than Bioware, and not called the sequel for DA:O.

Also, while I loved Dragon Age: Origins, even that game had it's fair share of flaws (visual atmosphere, mostly, and some bugs, but I played the 'stock' game w/ little or no major problems). DA2's flaws, IMHO, were more...'pronounced'.

Sure, DA2 kinda improved on some aspects, particularly the visuals and running relatively smoother, but that doesn't make up for the problems (disjointed story/plot, re-used environments, a city that doesn't feel alive, the annoying 'waves' in combat, combat becoming 'over the top' w/ animations being too fast and exploding bodies, etc.).

The story of DA2 was quite good (the elements were quite darker and it does introduce the next major conflict/s), but the delivery/execution was, IMHO, quite bad. The poor transition between acts and Hawke feeling more like an 'observer', instead of an 'active participant', didn't help.

It is salvageable, tho', but it'd have to be a hefty fix, methinks. (definitely more stuff than what was in the 'Enhanced Edition' DLC for 'The Witcher')

I mean, the game wasn't all bad. I did initially enjoy parts of it, but the bad parts just 'ground down' my patience...I couldn't even finish the 1st Act of my 2nd playthrough attempt.

DA2 is wasted potential/opportunity. As I've said on their forums: no updated toolset and no 'fix' = no DLC buy
                                I wish I weren't disappointed, but... *shrugs*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X