No announcement yet.

Mass Effect universe discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It arrives today. And I can't play it till Thursday. Drat.

Cool trailer though.

Comment

Gah. Not up yet. Maybe after the workout...*grumbles*

sigpic

Comment

downloading it right now, seems to be going so slow

Comment

Originally posted by The Mighty 6 platoon View Post
          It arrives today.
          I see what you did there
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            I see what you did there
            I don't know what you're talking about

Comment

So...I just finished it.

It felt kinda short (2 hours, give or take), and less 'fulfilling'/satisfying compared to Lair of the Shadow Broker.
              I liked some of the cutscenes, but, most everything else felt like 'standard' ME2 fare.
              Spoiler:
              it was interesting to see what Adm. Hackett looked like, as well as some of the things the events in Arrival may mean for Shepard at the start of the next game. I'd like to see my FemShep in Dress Blues
              sigpic

Comment

That was...today? Why was I thinking only Arrival's trailer came out?

Comment

Just finished it myself.

General no spoiler impressions

-Seems really short, especially for a "finale" dlc
                  -Not as good as Shadow Broker, not nearly.

Spoiler stuff

Spoiler:
                  I'm left feeling lukewarm about this thing at best. I was looking forward to it at least as much as shadow broker but while that DLC had me floored with how fantastic it came out, this one leaves me with more of a "wait, that's it?" feeling.

There were a couple of plot points that didn't make any sense either. First and foremost being why the hell the Dr. would bring Shepard back to her secret base so he could ruin all her plans for her. What she couldn't string him along for the 2 days it would take for the reaper invasion to come through? You could make up literally any line of bull**** and have it hold up for that short of a time.

The lack of teammates was annoying and the reasons for it were unconvincing. "Oh we don't want this to look like an alliance sponsored op" "too many heavily armed men". Well gee it's too bad I don't have a ship full of mercenaries, convicts and assassins that I could pick some help from. If I had that I might even be able to make the cover story tighter. The first part of the mission was all but made for Thane and Kasumi.

Just about all of Shepard's teammates operate well outside the law, let alone the alliance. The entire enterprise is funded and operated by an organization that's been declared intergalactic terrorists.

All in all it started out good with the infiltration of the prison, good atmosphere there, but it started to come apart toward the end when it seemed like they were just throwing waves of pointless enemies at you to kill time because they couldn't think of anything else.

There is literally a battle at the end where you're running to catch the last escape shuttle off a giant asteroid that's about to collide with a mass relay and about a dozen idiots actually decide to stop and start shooting at you rather than flee for their lives.

The shuttle even leaves with them still there mid firefight and they comment on being left behind. Yeah well no ****, if I was sitting at the controls of that shuttle and saw all you chuckle ****s turn around and start running the wrong way shooting your guns in the air, I'd leave you there to.

Why not just use robots for this? There were robots in an earlier part and it would make sense for the robots to try to kill you. They don't know the base is doomed and wouldn't care about evacuating even if they did. A smart base security force might even decide to use them to cover their own escape.

Nope, the only robot present was the seemingly mandatory "just here to piss you off a bit" YMIR mech.

You won't be able to vent any frustrations though because the dlc is entirely devoid of any of the moral "paragon/renegade" choices mass effect is known for. There's one renegade interrupt and that's all you get. Even the pivotal final decision to blow up the rely, and the entire inhabited star system with it, or not, is not a choice given to the player, but one they're simply railroaded through.

Most disappointing of all though is that they finally put a face on Admiral Hackett and it seems to be just a lazily reused model of Zaeed's face with a beard pasted on. I mean, why even bother at that point.

I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10

It's better than hammerhead, but can't touch LotSB, and likely wouldn't compare favorably to overlord if I were to play through that again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                    SNIP
                    Nice 'review', and good points.
                    sigpic

Comment

Fans of Mass Effect, turn your attention to the Bioware vs. Mojang showdown: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tournaments/standings/5
                      Hilarious.
                      "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                      Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                      Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                      Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                      Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Well I played through Arrival a couple of days ago. Fun, not groundbreaking, but I liked where the ending left us. Not as good as LOTSB, but still a fairly decent piece of dlc imo.

Comment

Because ME3 information is fun. Screenshot scans, some returning squad members, and more. If you haven't already come across this in your travels. And if spoilers are your thing, of course.

http://gamingeverything.com/?p=3119

http://gamingeverything.com/?p=3166

Comment

Ashley looks even hotter
                            Stolen Kosovo
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                              Ashley looks even hotter
                              lol, yeah.
                              sigpic

Comment