No announcement yet.

Mass Effect universe discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another thing with mods to is that they're now hamstrung by the same legal bull**** a real expo pack would be.

Best example I can think of is the Stalker Arsenal mod that added something like 100 real world guns to the game using their real world names. The real game had guns that were realworld ones but had to give them goofy pretend names presumably because they couldn't afford to pay the correct people for the privilege of being able to call a duck a duck.

Really improved the game's immersion when I could go to a shop and buy an AK74u instead of a "super boomboom zombie killer mkII".

Comment

Updated the first post to reflect things being added and clarified in the timeline

Looks something like this, so you don't have to click back to it
      Spoiler:
      Mass Effect: Evolution (comic series)
      Mass Effect: Revelation (novel by Drew Karpyshyn)

Mass Effect
      Mass Effect: Ascension (novel by Drew Karpyshyn)
      Mass Effect 2 (intro mission)

Mass Effect: Galaxy (mobile game)
      Mass Effect: Redemption (comic series)

Mass Effect: Incursion (comic one-shot)
      Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect: Retribution (novel by Drew Karpyshyn)
      Mass Effect: Inquisition (comic one-shot)

TBD
      Mass Effect 3 (scheduled for Holiday 2011 release)
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

OT (in case anyone's interested...and since there's no Steam thread ):

Europa Universalis III Complete and its expansion, Heir to the Throne, are both at 80% Off at Steam (I guess it's due to the Divine Wind expansion release). EUIIIC + HttT = 6 USD (I got my EUIIIC for 5 USD last Christmas...)

And Dead Space is also on sale for 10.20 USD (66% Off. 75% Off if you pre-purchase Dead Space 2).
        Anyone play the PC version? Is it good? Better than FEAR 2? I played it on my friend's XBox a while back...not sure I liked it much (he kept freaking out when an enemy appeared or a 'cheap scare scene' happened...so my experience may be a bit 'affected' by that )

re: Mods
        I wish that they had released mod tools for ME2 like they did w/ DA:O. More armor and weapon options for Shep and crew would've been nice.
        Renegade Shep w/ red eyes would look so cool in WH40k Inquisitor (or very ornate SM/CSM) attire/armor.

Speaking of weapons:
        anyone else here wish Shep, particularly the Vanguard, had a dedicated melee weapon? what's the most advanced melee weapon in the setting? are there monomolecular weapons? (I don't remember what's been depicted in the books)
        sigpic

Comment

Has anyone read Retribution? I was just looking at the synopsis on Wikipedia (which looks more like a publisher synopsis than a written-out one) and at one point it says "having obtained Reaper technology, the Illusive Man decides to..."

I'm just wondering if that's from somewhere other than the Collector Base, or if the canon of the universe dictates that Shepard saves it for the Illusive Man at the end of ME2?
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

This just hit me:

Mass effect fields can dampen the mass of an object, so what if you apply that to a particle accelerator? For any given length of accelerator, you get a higher end velocity for the particles. This tech has huge applications to free electron lasers, imagine plugging a few of these into a dreadnought frame instead of the regular mass accelerators: the dreadnought's already long range goes up by almost two orders of magnitude and completely bypasses kinetic barriers.
            It doesn't have the penetration of a kinetic slug, but it's got a lot longer to slice and dice somebody's hull. Especially given how much power dreadnoughts are supposed to have, I think 76 guns per broadside? Imagine replacing that with x-ray lasers.

Comment

Just started playing ME2 again after a year. I love this game, really, even more so than the original. My brothers disagree.
              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

I can't agree or disagree. I loved both games for different reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                  Has anyone read Retribution? I was just looking at the synopsis on Wikipedia (which looks more like a publisher synopsis than a written-out one) and at one point it says "having obtained Reaper technology, the Illusive Man decides to..."

I'm just wondering if that's from somewhere other than the Collector Base, or if the canon of the universe dictates that Shepard saves it for the Illusive Man at the end of ME2?
                  The writing is deliberately unclear as I remember, implying that it could be from the base being intact, or from debris after the explosion.

Comment

Ah.

Another oddity....in the intro video for the demo of the PS3 version of ME2 (I was curious and just downloaded it), Miranda says that Sheppard left the Council to die. Interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                      Ah.

Another oddity....in the intro video for the demo of the PS3 version of ME2 (I was curious and just downloaded it), Miranda says that Sheppard left the Council to die. Interesting.
                      That's what they say when you play ME2 without an import from ME1 on computers and X-Box, so I'm not surprised.

Comment

I was thinking that at first too, but then it occurred to me that ME1 was never released for PS3. So the "previously on" intro to ME2 on PS3 would have to make certain assumptions about the universe....

Comment

Or they just wanted consistency between the two platforms.

It would be weird to get one default story on the PS3 and another on the PC, and you just know it would also lead to complaints that Bioware was "screwing over" fans of one or the other to.

This way there's less tears.

That said where's my DLC at. How long has it been since shadow broker because it feels like a really long time and we've still got the better part of a year to go before me3.

Comment

If ME3 is planned for the holiday season, I can't see them bothering to put much more time into ME2. Maybe a second appearance pack, but that aside I wouldn't count on any more.

Comment

There will be one more DLC for Mass Effect 2.

http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/m...es%3Btitle%3B3

Comment

Ah, snazzy! Good thing I haven't started replaying yet!

I think that in the lead-up to ME3 I'll do a full chronological ME-verse read- and play-through. The three books are out now, and the Evolution comic ought to be done in another few months. With ME3 not due out till the holidays that gives me quite a while to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X