John Carter of Mars (2012) - News/Speculation/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
    Just came out on March 9th...so not even a week yet.
    They changed it.. there are some more viewings added.. good for them!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
      They changed it.. there are some more viewings added.. good for them!
      Which may show an increase awareness of the film.

After what must be amongst the ****tiest marketing campaigns I have seen for a film in a long time, if not all time, all the reports of it being one of the biggest cinema flops of all time must finally be letting people know that there is an actual film called John Carter out at the cinema, and it a half descent film to watch with the kids.

Comment

It's such a good movie that fell victim to poor marketing. Now I'm looking for the book.....

EDIT: bought the trilogy and a friend of mine (and her parents) want to see it, so I'm seeing it again!! Now hopefully there'll be a separate line for those of us not going to see The Hunger Games.
        Last edited by AlbinoMonkeyC; 22 March 2012, 05:51 PM.
        Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
        Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

Originally posted by AlbinoMonkeyC View Post
          It's such a good movie that fell victim to poor marketing. Now I'm looking for the book.....

EDIT: bought the trilogy and a friend of mine (and her parents) want to see it, so I'm seeing it again!! Now hopefully there'll be a separate line for those of us not going to see The Hunger Games.
          The only hunter Game film I will be watching will be the full director version with all the violence left in, when ever it is release.
          Last edited by knowles2; 24 March 2012, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I really enjoyed this movie, and it's just too bad if this means there won't be any sequels. There are a few other books to film...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AlbinoMonkeyC View Post

I disagree as thier was a lot of advertising for the movie. People just weren't interested.
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                The only hunter Game film I will be watching will be the full director version with all the violence left it, when ever it is release.
                Ha, that won't happen. Me? I'll probably see it on dvd in about a year....

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                I disagree as thier was a lot of advertising for the movie. People just weren't interested.
                So I've heard. For my part, I haven't seen much.
                Tumblr: fashion4ducks.tumblr.com
                Where my mind comes out to play *DUN DUN DUN!!!!!!!!!!!!*

Comment

It isn't the quantity of advertising that's the bone of contention but the message behind it.
                  The early trailers, billboards mean nothing to most people. Even the name is meaningless.

Only because a friend told me that this was a Burroughs story that I became interested.

I really liked it. Seen it twice. Once with the family and the second time with said friend.
                  sigpic
                  "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

I have not seen any.

Look at the Hunter Games, an you will be hard press to find a bus stop or a bus in London which does not have advertising for the film.
                    Every time I watch the adverts during a TV programme there has been an advert for the film, weeks ago. They got the actors appearing on major TV chat shows, The Graham Norton Show weeks before the film even comes out. I agree the film lack an identity, who is John carter and what is his story, there was no attempt to build any kind of fan base for the film, did they even promote it at Comic con last year, look at prometheus and the enthusiasm for that film among Sci-Fi fans.

There two rumours going around, one the film went so far over budget that Disney would not commit to an advertising budget, two, Disney did not want the film to be a big success and was happy to let make a loss or break even because they feared it would undermined there Marvel studio efforts coming later in the spring and Summer if it was a hugely successful film, Marvel Studios is where they are focusing most of there live action effort on.
                    It most likely a combination of both.

This will be use as a prime example of how not to advertise a film for years to come.

Despite this, if you take into account international film markets, the film is probably on cause to break even, may be even turn a small profit. Disney as with most American studios only take the US into consideration in whether a film is a success or not and this is where the biggest flop headline coming from.

Comment

Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with you. I only saw this movie advertised as trailers in theaters. I don't remember seeing a commercial for it on regular television...not even on the SyFy channel..
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
                        Sorry, but I'll have to disagree with you. I only saw this movie advertised as trailers in theaters. I don't remember seeing a commercial for it on regular television...not even on the SyFy channel..
                        Then you weren't looking. It was advertised all the time on primetime television
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Then you weren't looking. It was advertised all the time on primetime television
                          Not on any of the channels I was watching.
                          sigpic

Comment

Was advertised all the time here. The trailer came on in nearly every set of adverts.
                            sigpic

Comment

no. it wasn't.
                              i watch A LOT of tv. i'll say i saw it advertised maybe a dozen times, if that many.

Comment

Here's an excellent article about the movie that came out in February's Wired magazine (which I subscribe to, hence why I came across it)
                                http://www.wired.com/magazine/2012/0...hncarter/all/1
                                it's a good look at why Disney let Andrew Stanton make the movie, and some of the production woes, etc.
                                Give it a read, it might change your mind about a few things.

Comment

Working...
                                X