John Carter of Mars (2012) - News/Speculation/Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
    I was pretty nonplussed when I read the description. But Pixar has yet to make a bad movie, so they're totally deserving of the benefit of the doubt.
    Indeed, Pixar knows how to make a great story with odd characters. From Toys, Bugs, Cars, Rats, Monsters and more! If anyone can do it, Pixar can. Its the live-action part that is weird to me....

Comment

Thomas Haden Church On John Carter Of Mars

Thomas Haden Church says he plays one bad ass warrior in John Carter Of Mars.

Vulture recently sat down with Thomas Haden Church to discuss his upcoming film Don McKay. They posed a few questions on the subject of John Carter Of mars.

This from Vulture....

You’re now involved in another film with a long development history, the live-action blockbuster John Carter of Mars.

I got a letter a year ago saying, “You’ve been offered this role, please call this number to discuss.” And it was a phone number in Northern California. I called my agent, and he said that didn’t even come through us, that came straight from Disney. So I called [writer and director] Andrew Stanton, who two weeks previously had just won two Academy Awards, and we talked for like two hours. He’s such a funny, warm, smart guy. He said he wrote the part for me, and gave me this whole backstory of John Carter, even though I’d already read the script. Filming started in January in England, and I went over there for a couple weeks. Then they’re moving to Utah and I’m about to go back..

Do you have a sense yet of the look of the film, since technological questions were at the heart of so many of its fitful starts?
      The only comparison I can make is Avatar. It’s live-action, CGI, and motion capture — all that stuff. I didn’t realize how excited people were about this movie, and that it’s been around for like 80 years — somebody was telling me they tried to mount the first production in 1930 or something. But it’s going to be fascinating, it really is. They don’t say don’t talk at all about it, but I want to be political. I’ll say this: My character is a badass warrior. There are tribes, and in my tribe he’s a very ferocious individual.

John Carter Of Mars is directed by Andrew Stanton and stars Taylor Kitsch, Mark Strong, Willem Dafoe, Bryan Cranston, Lynn Collins, James Purefoy, Samantha Morton and Thomas Haden Church. It is due in theaters in 2012.
      Source- http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=16622
      Favorite Characters:
      Babylon 5: Londo Mollari, G'Kar
      Farscape: Rygel, Zhaan
      SG1: Jack O'Neill
      SG-A: Rodney McKay

Favorite Shows In Order:
      Stargate SG-1 | DS9 | Babylon 5 | Farscape | ST:VOY | Firefly |Stargate Universe | Stargate Atlantis | BSG

Comment

^It's interesting he mentioned Avatar, because that's where my mind immediatley went when I read the description. I fear this film may garner the usual round of "rip-off" complaints, even though the source material is really old.
        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

John Carter Of Mars Set Photos Show Disney's Barsoom Creatures

Next are a collection of set pics from John Carter Movie, which has plenty more insight and images for you to look at. Here's what we learned from their Utah sleuthing.

* The first image is of a prop raft that floats, presumably for a water scene - our money is on a Mars canal moment, there are many on this planet.
          * The second picture has a small model of the temple to the Therns on the right hand side of the picture, in front of the arena. And here's the arena itself which John Carter Movie was told is being referred to as the "monkey arena" and you all know what that means, there may be giant white ape fights!
          * There are 20-foot-high statues of the Tharks - they're not green, but Mars rock red, although they do have four arms. Sadly, there are no pictures of these creations just yet. JCM suspects it's for the Thernian temple, which could be in one of the many pictures below of the far off buildings. Anything is possible the sets had plenty of green screens handy.
          * A set source spotted a 4-wheeler with "a saddle mounted about 10ft in air [and] they must be going to cg some animal under it." The news just keeps getting better.
          Finally one last bit of news from JCM - if you're worried about the costumes not being skimpy enough, fret no more. A local casting call asked for "good-looking, dark-haired, tan people ages 18-35 yrs old Male and Female." And the call requests that all extras turn in pictures that show off their figure - in fact they suggest the guys to just turn in shirtless pics altogether. Bring on the Martian fur and leather bikini parties.
          Source:- http://io9.com/5531362/john-carter-o...soom-creatures
          Favorite Characters:

Favorite Shows In Order:
          Stargate SG-1 | DS9 | Babylon 5 | Farscape | ST:VOY | Firefly |Stargate Universe | Stargate Atlantis | BSG

Comment

Set video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlrcI_OSeyY
            Favorite Characters:

Favorite Shows In Order:

Comment

Latest post of John Carter

Favorite Characters:

Favorite Shows In Order:

Comment

First trailer is out. Looks to have epic sci fi potential, we'll see.

sigpic

Comment

Can't wait for this to begin!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                    ^It's interesting he mentioned Avatar, because that's where my mind immediatley went when I read the description. I fear this film may garner the usual round of "rip-off" complaints, even though the source material is really old.
                    Im waiting for people to accuse the film of ripping off books and movies that the John Carter books were likely the source material/inspiration for.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ukko View Post
                      Im waiting for people to accuse the film of ripping off books and movies that the John Carter books were likely the source material/inspiration for.
                      Uggg...I hate rip-off posts.
                      sigpic

Comment

10 minutes of hte actual film is already on youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
                          10 minutes of hte actual film is already on youtube.
                          That's not good...
                          sigpic

Comment

Not to worry, it's official promo for the film, but even if it weren't it's probably good promotion

Comment

Just watched the trailer; this doesn't look bad, in fact it looks to be very good. Sci-Fi, the composer from Lost, Pixar being good at live-action sci-fi stuff? Can't wait!
                              Back from the grave.

Comment

I want to go and see it, sadly at the moment all of the local screens are 3d only. Hopefully they will get some 2d screens soon.

The reviews have been surprisingly positive. An most have mention that it rips of one film or another or should I say those films ripped off the original source material for the film.

Comment

Working...
                                X