Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hugh Jackman started out as a stage actor, specifically doing musicals. To the point that some people in Australia had trouble believing he'd pull off the role of Wolverine, since they didn't think he'd be able to do such a macho role! Some actors undoubtedly get typecast, no matter what genre they're in. Sci-fi isn't the worst by any means, there are plenty of comedic actors who never get cast for more serious roles even if they'd want to. Not to mention people in daytime soaps who go on playing the same character for 30 years or more. Daytime TV takes a long time to shoot, so they don't really have the time to do anything else in between, and those shows are often shot continuously, rather than one season at a time, since they're broadcast year round.
    sigpic

Comment

I think another contributing factor is that many sci fi shows run for a long time, so the actors are middle-aged to old by the time it's done. I think there are very few roles for people, especially women, in that age group on television these days.
      sigpic

Comment

well they definitely go far in other countries, but in the USA , they don't get much respect. i mean i was really surprised when Sir Ian McKellan was nominated for an oscar for Lord of the Rings
        sigpic
        May the odds be ever in your Favor ! oh and please say hello to me on Skype and Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by MIZA View Post
          well they definitely go far in other countries, but in the USA , they don't get much respect. i mean i was really surprised when Sir Ian McKellan was nominated for an oscar for Lord of the Rings
          I think the Academy has a lot to do with it. Hollywood and many of its actors and actresses, has never respected science fiction and fantasy for whatever reason.
          sigpic

Comment

Well the SG actors are doing pretty well. They all have guest spots all over the place/

Comment

Originally posted by CaramelMonkey View Post
              Well the SG actors are doing pretty well. They all have guest spots all over the place/
              But a lot of them are normally on other scyfy shows or films.

I think it all depends on the actors an the agents they got.

William Shatner got type cast as Kirk mainly because he spent years living of the role an not much else.

Comment

Working...
              X