Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nope, still catching up (in season 2 of GH). wish it could go faster but i don't want to miss anything

Comment

Originally posted by Fainne View Post
      nope, still catching up (in season 2 of GH). wish it could go faster but i don't want to miss anything
      Ooool...lordy..lordy. You have a loooooooooooooong way to go!

Two of the people from GH Academy made it on to GHI
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LtColCarter View Post
        Ooool...lordy..lordy. You have a loooooooooooooong way to go!

Two of the people from GH Academy made it on to GHI
        yeah i know, i started with GHI first but i'm on my way

i heard that! i'm really lookign forward to it. will the GHI group a bigger one then? i wonder who leaves. i've seen pics on Brandy's MySpace of the team. Ashley wasn't there so it might be her who's leaving.

Comment

Ghost hunters and similar shows aren't bad, they're not my favorite but I'll watch them when they are on.

I actually prefer shows like a Haunting on the Discovery Channel or some kind of fictional ghost story show (too bad not many seem to be on tv anymore). It seems like the History channel doesn't even show their ghost shows much anymore either.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daedalus-304 View Post
            Ghost hunters and similar shows aren't bad, they're not my favorite but I'll watch them when they are on.

I actually prefer shows like a Haunting on the Discovery Channel or some kind of fictional ghost story show (too bad not many seem to be on tv anymore). It seems like the History channel doesn't even show their ghost shows much anymore either.
            I know...the shows seem far and few between
            sigpic

Comment

Don't forget Ghost Adventures on the Travel Channel tonight!
              sigpic

Comment

Next episode of Ghost Adventures is on Jan 1st at 9:00pm EST

The team will be exploring a mansion known as Prospect Place. The mansion, owned by a wealthy abolitionist, was once a stop on the underground railroad. A gateway to freedom for hundreds of slaves, it was also the last stop for many who arrived in terrible physical condition and died there. The owner's family also suffered its share of death and heartbreak.

Prospect Place
                12150 Main Street
                Trinway, OH 43842
                prospectplace-dresden.com

Slavery was an issue long before the Civil War made the dividing lines of the United States more prominent. Ohio was a free state, but there were still plenty of battles fought in the state's small towns. Prospect Place Mansion was many times the battleground for good versus evil in the war's constant struggles for freedom.

Family History

George W. Adams was born in Virginia in 1799 on a large plantation. When his grandfather died, George's father freed the family's slaves and sold the plantation. In 1808, he moved his family to Ohio, a free state where slavery was illegal. Twenty years later, George and his brother Edward built a large flouring mill. They met great success in this industry and soon had 2 prospering flour mills. George used his wealth to help develop the town of Dresden. He financed many infrastructure projects, including bridges and a canal that connected Dresden with the Ohio-Erie Canal. Soon, he was the largest employer in the region.

But it wasn't all about wealth for George, who was a renegade for social justice. The mills provided grain to the local residents, but they also served as safe houses for runaway slaves on their journey to freedom. George didn't just allow slaves to rest in his mills during their escape from the South. This staunch abolitionist also smuggled slaves out of the South on flatboats during business trips to New Orleans.

George W. Adams had his Greek revival mansion built at Prospect Place in 1856. This stately home had 29 rooms in 9,500 square feet. However, before the family could even move in, an arsonist torched the house. The family constructed a barn on the remains of the first mansion that could be used as a living quarters for the ranch hands as well as stables for horses and carriages.

Then they set to work building a new mansion that would be the first in the state to have an indoor well and plumbing. It also had a cupola on top of the house where a light shone brightly as a sign to traveling slaves that this was a safe house. The house became a spot where slaves could rest and eat before continuing on their journey north. It was a key location on the Underground Railroad.

Bounty Hunters

Although Ohio was a free state, this didn't mean the slaves were safe here as they passed through. The Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 made it legal for bounty hunters to capture runaway slaves here and return them to the South. It was also illegal to harbor slaves, a risk that George Adams was willing to take every time he opened his home to fleeing slaves.

In the late 1850s, an angry bounty hunter came to the house and demanded that George release the slaves he harbored on his land. George's ranch hands came to protect their boss and the bounty hunter skulked away. According to family legend, these same loyal ranch hands followed the bounty hunter to his camp and abducted him. They brought him back to the barn and hung him there for his crimes against freedom and humanity. Today his angry spirit lurks in the barn, occasionally lashing out at visitors when provoked.

The slaves who came to Prospect Place were dodging dangerous bounty hunters and many were injured when they arrived. Some of these slaves died from shotgun blasts or wounds from animal attacks. Their journey to freedom was cut short in the safe haven of George's basement, and their spirits still haunt the place today.

A Squandered Estate

George W. Adams lived to see success in his true life's work -- he saw slavery abolished before he passed away in 1879. He left his vast estate to his children. Sadly, the family squandered their inheritance and by the mid-1950s, this once stately home was abandoned. Recently the great-great grandson of George W. Adams purchased the property and is working to restore the mansion to its former glory. However, his efforts are sometimes thwarted by the ghosts that remain at Prospect Place. The phantom footsteps, whispering voices and dark shadows show that the battle of good and evil will never be over for the sad and angry spirits that remain.

Source: Travel Channel
                sigpic

Comment

Ghost Hunters returns in March 2010

Ghost Hunters International January 6th 2010 @ 9pm EST...and they're going to be looking for Hitler's ghost!
                  sigpic

Comment

Ghost Adventures' Guide to Clovis Wolfe Manor
                    Catch this episode Friday, Jan 8 at 9 PM E/P

During its 7 decades of operation as a sanitarium and convalescent home, thousands perished in this once stately manor. Some locals affix rosary beads and crucifixes to the fence surrounding the property to keep the evil spirits inside.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X