This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RodneyIsGodney View Post
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel get a very honorable mention.
    Y'know what Stargate needs....Joss Whedon, everything that he has done has been awesome, from Buffy to Angel to Firefly(not saying Dollhouse cause I haven't really seen it yet)

And also there must be something must be towards this scifi thing the same shows keep popping up on everybodys top five, y'know...really haven't seen any of them that really surprised me really. Lot of Stargate's(makes sense since we are on a site that is about Stargate), Farscape's, Star trek's, Firefly's, BSG's, even some Angel's/Buffy's
    R.I.P. you will be missed

My Top Five Favorite Quotes/Quips(right now)
    Spoiler:
    "Well, it's like my grandma used to say, if at first you don't succeed..."
    "Try a larger thermonuclear reaction?"
    "Her words exactly."

"We are beacons on the road to enlightenment."
    "No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you."
    "Nice work on the metaphor."
    "Thank you."

"Will you excuse me? We just don't get out of Cheyenne Mountain enough. I'm gonna grab some air... outside. General, Captain, General... waiter."

"General."
    "Colonel. We've all met."
    "Yes, actually we know each other's life stories."
    "That snippiness?"
    "Is that a word?"

"If we want to find out who's behind this, we have to do what the Asgard do."
    "You mean bluff?"
    "Yep. We just need to do it without revealing what we know."
    "Which is nothing."
    "Right. But they don't know we know nothing."

Comment

1. Supernatural
      2. Stargate Sg-1
      3. Stargate Atlantis
      4. Star Trek: The Next Generation
      5. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
      sigpic

Comment

1.Farscape
        2.Supernatural
        3.Stargate sg1
        4.Firefly
        5.Stargate Atlantis

honerable mention goes to Angel and Reaper

Comment

In no particular order really:

1. Red Dwarf (series 1-6... there was no 7 or 8)
          2. Stargate SG-1 (mainly for the over the top bad guys and the tongue in cheekness).
          3. Doctor Who (I grew up in the UK so naturally I grew up watching this).
          4. Star Trek (all of them... again, its just something that has always been there).
          5. Hmmm... what to choose. Well, since no one else has, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. Its corny, the little robot gets on my nerves... actually, I hate the show. Except for Wilma.

I might have said Buffy, even though its not really SciFi. But actually since the series ended I've never really felt much of an urge to rewatch any of it. Maybe because there have been so many clones, and it never really seemed like vampires were actually that much of a threat either to her or to anyone really... I'm finding it hard to remember what it was I liked about it when it was on. Maybe it was just SMG... in fact the whole 'feminist' theme of the show is actually rather questionable.

A sci-fi/steampunk/fantasy novel... with color pictures!
          My Blog

“This summer on Sci-Fi... as part of our five year mission to find the lowest common denominator, we bring you… Extreme Psychic Reality Makeover…!"

Comment

1. Babylon 5
            2. Stargate SG-1
            3. Stargate Atlantis
            4. Firefly
            5. Star Trek (and that means whatever you want it to mean)

Once I've seen all of Farscape that will probably usurp Trek. Honorable mentions to Crusade and BSG (original and re-imagined).
            sigpic
            Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

1. Firefly
              2. Battlestar Galactica
              3. Farscape
              4. Supernatural
              5. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Hmmmm...Stargate didn't even make the list. Interesting.
              sigpic

Comment

1. Dr. Who
                2. Stargate Atlantis
                3. Stargate Sg1
                4. Torchwood
                5. Roswell

Comment

1)Stargate SG-1 (All time favorite, especially when drama came first and humor was second)
                  2)Star Trek: The Next Generation (First Sci-fi love)
                  3)Babylon 5 (Just finished watching it, bad production value, great story)
                  4)Battlestar Galactica 2004 (Epic, different, great)
                  5)Star Trek: Deep Space 9 (best of the treks, second only because of nostalgia)
                  6) Jericho (If this does not count move the next one up, but otherwise great storytelling, compelling, awesome)
                  7) Lost (addictive, complicated, just how I like it)
                  8)Futurama (Hilarious, Sci-fi only jokes are great)
                  9) Dark Angel (James Cameron, Jessica Alba, good story)
                  10)Heroes (Human, interesting, Time bending Japanese man, need I say more)
                  --------------Honorable mention----------------------
                  The 4400 -(Intriguing storyline)
                  7 days (What can I say I enjoy its formula)
                  Alias ( Jennifer Garner, Spy Drama, complicated,)
                  Chuck (Absolutely Hilarious)
                  Digimon (Guilty Pleasure)
                  Doctor Horribles sing along blog (Funny, different)
                  Doctor Who (05) (Watchable from time to time, nothing I watch weekly)
                  Dresden Files (Showed promise, cut off too soon)
                  Eureka (light, smart)
                  Firefly (Fun while it lasted)
                  Invader Zim (rather dark for nickelodeon but enjoyable)
                  John Doe (Interesting premise not bad at all)
                  Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (Loved it as a kid)
                  New Amsterdam (I thought it had some promise)
                  Quantum Leap (I have onl seen a few episodes but fun to watch, topical)
                  Roswell (Guilty pleasure, gave me a teen drama I liked mixed with scifi)
                  Smallville (Later seasons have arcs, much more enjoyable than baddie of the week format from before)
                  Space Cases (Liked it as a kid)
                  Stargate Atlantis (enjoyable to watch, never reached full potential, was not shocked when it was canceled like I was when SG1 was)
                  Star Trek TOS (I pay homage to the original but its actually tied for my least favorite of the treks)
                  Star Trek Enterprise ( I liked it for what it was, especially the later seasons)
                  Star Trek Voyager (Tied for my least favorite of the treks, still enjoyable)
                  X Files (Just starting to watch it, but I like what I see

Comment

Firefly
                    Battlestar Galactica
                    Stargate SG1
                    Stargate Atlantis
                    I'm hoping Stargate Universe for the fifth, since I haven't really watched too much else.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason View Post
                      Firefly
                      Battlestar Galactica
                      Stargate SG1
                      Stargate Atlantis
                      I'm hoping Stargate Universe for the fifth, since I haven't really watched too much else.
                      Lots of great stuff in this thread, you should give some a try. There's some that'll easily knock Atlantis way down the list, and a few that'll actually do the same to SG-1 D:

...but totally worth it
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                        Lots of great stuff in this thread, you should give some a try. There's some that'll easily knock Atlantis way down the list, and a few that'll actually do the same to SG-1 D:

...but totally worth it
                        Oh I know it! I just looked around, and forgot about Heroes! That would have to be in there right now. I want to see Eureka, Star Trek (TOS mostly), The Dresdon Files, Doctor Who and Sanctuary for sure.

Comment

...but totally worth it
                          I dunno, it's kinda hard to beat classic SG-1.

Atlantis... after you see more/better Sci-Fi shows, it's pretty easy to not have that one on a Top 5 list.

Oh I know it! I just looked around, and forgot about Heroes! That would have to be in there right now. I want to see Eureka, Star Trek (TOS mostly), The Dresdon Files, Doctor Who and Sanctuary for sure.
                          I'm surprised that anyone would consider putting Heroes on their Top 5 list after Season 3. But anyways...

Farscape. You'll love it. Also, if you're looking to get into Trek, I'd say TNG and DS9 are the 'best' that franchise has to offer.

Also also, Bablyon 5. That one's pretty darn good too once you get into it.

And, if you're interested in anything else by Joss Whedon (the guy who did Firefly), Buffy and Angel are pretty good shows. Angel in particular is wonderfully dark/funny and is a well written show. One of my personal favorites.
                          Last edited by Descent; 12 July 2009, 10:18 AM.
                          sigpic
                          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent View Post
                            I dunno, it's kinda hard to beat classic SG-1.

Atlantis... after you see more/better Sci-Fi shows, it's pretty easy to not have that one on a Top 5 list.
                            I liked SG-1 all the way through the end....yes, even the Ori years. I'm still bitter about the cancellation. That said though, even though it's pretty awesome, it's just not in the same league as a lot of other stuff that's come out.... Babylon 5, BSG (RDM), Farscape, Firefly, etc. I guess I'm just a lot more into heavily arc-based series

Definitely agree on Atlantis though. But then, I really, really don't like Atlantis. I watched it for five years hoping it would eventually get better. And then it didn't.

Farscape. You'll love it. Also, if you're looking to get into Trek, I'd say TNG and DS9 are the 'best' that franchise has to offer.

Also also, Bablyon 5. That one's pretty darn good too once you get into it.
                            All awesome suggestions. As much as I love TNG and DS9 though, TOS is always the benchmark

And, if you're interested in anything else by Joss Whedon (the guy who did Firefly), Buffy and Angel are pretty good shows. Angel in particular is wonderfully dark/funny and is a well written show. One of my personal favorites.
                            Dissenting vote! Dissenting vote! I tried watching both Buffy and Angel, and to this day I loathe both of them

Eureka is pretty awesome. When I first discovered it, I actually bought and watched the entire first season in a single day. TOS is the sci-fi benchmark and anyone who tells you otherwise is a heretic to all things science fiction Doctor Who is pretty awesome as well, and its spinoff Torchwood....which kind of sucked through its first season, picked up steam in its second and its recently aired third was brilliant.

Never watched Dresden Files, and haven't got to Sanctuary yet, so I can't speak to either of those
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I liked SG-1 all the way through the end....yes, even the Ori years. I'm still bitter about the cancellation. That said though, even though it's pretty awesome, it's just not in the same league as a lot of other stuff that's come out.... Babylon 5, BSG (RDM), Farscape, Firefly, etc. I guess I'm just a lot more into heavily arc-based series
                              Yes, but in terms of episodic Sci-Fi television, it is one of the best. Also, Firefly is great, but 13 great episodes compared to over 100 really good ones doesn't make much sense to me.

Arc-based shows are usually superior though, I'll give you that.

Dissenting vote! Dissenting vote! I tried watching both Buffy and Angel, and to this day I loathe both of them
                              Hmph.

I can definitely understand someone not being able to 'get into' Buffy, but Angel was just awesome. Can't really understand why you don't like that one. It's heavily arc based, the characters are deep and change/evolve as the series went on, same kind of Joss Whedon style humor...

I'm kinda curious, how many episodes (and which ones were they) did you watch??
                              sigpic
                              "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                              DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Yes, but in terms of episodic Sci-Fi television, it is one of the best. Also, Firefly is great, but 13 great episodes compared to over 100 really good ones doesn't make much sense to me.
                                I'll be honest, I'm a little torn on the subject myself so don't fret too much over it

Hmph.

I can definitely understand someone not being able to 'get into' Buffy, but Angel was just awesome. Can't really understand why you don't like that one. It's heavily arc based, the characters are deep and change/evolve as the series went on, same kind of Joss Whedon style humor...

I'm kinda curious, how many episodes (and which ones were they) did you watch??
                                Buffy I watched the first two years of, and then sporadically throughout season 3. Then I kind of....stopped caring about it, and gave Angel a try since that was about the time it started up. I tried watching a little of Buffy season 4, but just couldn't waste my time on it anymore.

Angel I watched for probably about half of season 1, until a certain someone met an untimely end, stopped for a while, started up again later in the season, and gave up on it entirely early in season 2.... Sorry I don't remember exactly where I stopped, but to be fair it was because I just didn't care anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X