X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FieryHands
    Is that the title? Could be.
    Yes, "Zardoz." Underrated, totally ingenius film! Whether it is the MOST underrated sci-fi or fantasy film is a matter of personal opinion.

My personal favorite--one I suppose you could call an 'urban fantasy'-- is "They Might Be Giants" with George C. Scott and Joanne Woodward. "Zardoz" is up there, though.

Sparky

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky13

My personal favorite--one I suppose you could call an 'urban fantasy'-- is "They Might Be Giants" with George C. Scott and Joanne Woodward.

Sparky
      Yeah, that was an interesting one, but I haven't seen it in ages. May have to look it up again. Thanks.

Comment

Thing about Zardoz is there never has and probaly never will be a movie like that. It is worth seeing just for that little fact. Other than that whethet someone likes it or not is another matter. I found the movie to be interesting and strange, strange in a good way. I do recomend for all scifi fans to give it a try.

Comment

Considering the massive hype spent on them and the fact that when they came out you couldn't get away from hearing about them in the media, I can't quite get my head around the Matrix trilogy being over-looked and under-rated.

My vote would go to Millenium. Excellent and original plot (teams in the future desperate to repopulate a dying Earth go back in time to lift people from airplanes about to crash and take them to their time. In our time they are believed to have died in the crashes), some nice romance thrown in and a bizarre hairstyle from the leading lady (whose name escapes me now but who was a Charlie's Angel at one point). Just good SF hokum.

Albion
          Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
            You are my new best friend. The Matrix Trilogy was awesome, and I think it's better than Harry Potter, SW and LOTRs combined. It just didn't get enough props, because LOTR has been around for ages, and has had a massive book following. But the Matrix had to built it's own crowd and it did alot of things that people didn't expect, and I loved those movies! LOVED!
            I agree that the Matrix movies were very dynamic and well done, but underrated? Those movie releases got a lot of attention and were great moneymakers. How does that make it underrated, i.e. the thread topic?

Oh, I see Albion beat me to it. Oh, well, I'm posting anyway!

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
              Oooh, Outland for sure.

Stars Sean Connery. Not many special effects, but a great movie. He plays the US Marshall newly assigned to an asteroid mining operation in the back of nowhere. Wife takes son back to Earth b/c he always says the next post will be better, and it never is. About this time, he figures out that there's something hinky going on--miners are going insane and committing suicide/murder on a disturbingly regular basis. The company is trying to cover something up, and Connery's only ally is a doc as washed-up and cynical as he is.
              Outland is a superb movie - it's like classic Western High Noon, only in space.
              Another seriously underrated Sci-Fi/Fantasy movie is The Wraith from 1986, starring a young Charlie Sheen. It's a basic divine retribution/revenge flick.
              A small desert town has been harassed for months by a gang of drag racers, but so far no one has done anything to stop them. One day, a ghostly black car shows up, challenging members of the group to race, then killing them one by one. Neither the gang nor the police can catch the car or its driver, but some investigating into the gang's past may reveal just who's behind all this...

I remember going to see it in the cinema when I was about 17 - actually it was the last movie I saw before the cinema in my town was closed down and demolished - but that's another story...
              It was on TV here in the UK a couple of weeks ago, and it's still pretty cool - especially the car, the Turbo Interceptor.
              sigpic
              Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
              To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
              And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Clean forgot about "Mannequin".

Dang fine film. One of the first DVDs I HAD to own.

Second one was "The Blob" (1988 version). Still not found it due it only being in the US and Eastern Europe...Boo.

Good guy, Bad guy.....
                I'm the one with the gun.

Comment

Unendliche Geschichte, Die (The NeverEnding Story)

I'll take that over the LOTR movies any day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                    I agree that the Matrix movies were very dynamic and well done, but underrated? Those movie releases got a lot of attention and were great moneymakers. How does that make it underrated, i.e. the thread topic?

Oh, I see Albion beat me to it. Oh, well, I'm posting anyway!
                    Underrated, I think, in the sense that the sequels were not as appreciated as the predecessor... not as well thought of...
                    sigpic
                    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Originally posted by X-Man
                      Second one was "The Blob" (1988 version). Still not found it due it only being in the US and Eastern Europe...Boo.
                      Oooh, saw the original "Blob" with Steve McQueen on TV when I was a kid - gave me nightmares for years! So corny when I see it now. .but the remake in 1988 was very good.

Another "Blob-type" movie was "Phantoms" with Peter O'Toole and ? - can't remember who else was in it. Was based on a very good Dean Koontz book, but naturally the book was better than the movie. .but the movie was quite interesting.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Easter Lily
                        Underrated, I think, in the sense that the sequels were not as appreciated as the predecessor... not as well thought of...
                        Yep. Everyone loved the first film....there's absolutely no argument there. So you can't say that the first film was under-rated, because it wasn't. But the sequels were. The only reason so many people went to go see them in the first place was because they enjoyed the first one. But then lots of people didn't understand them, heard from other people that they didn't like the movie, and just decided that they didn't like them anymore either, and that the entire trilogy was just a waste of money, etc.... It seems that very few people out there actually still appreciate these films. So I think the complete trilogy, taken as a whole unit, has now become under-rated.
                        There is only one thing we can ever truly control: whether we are good, or evil.

Comment

Remember SLIDERS? That show was cool. Mad under-rated.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                          [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

It says film, not TV-series/show.

If shows are allowed I'd say SAAB.

And Equilbrium is very good.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                              It says film, not TV-series/show.

If shows are allowed I'd say SAAB.

And Equilbrium is very good.
                              I like equilibrium. I thought it was cool. Not as good as the matrix, but alright. Very much along the same lines of The Giver though.

What is SAAB? Sounds like a car.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                              [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Space: Above and Beyond

Comment

Working...
                                X