X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 - Exclusive Scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZxBYItj2sM

Enjoy.
    Check out My directorial work (please leave comment. if possible).

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=coreyeasy

Or,

Leave comment on the off topic board.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=29121

Comment

I saw that on TV last night. It may just be the most ludicrous thing I've ever seen.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Hysterical! OMG, I saw the "exclusive" clip last night and could not stop laughing! Lords above, that is one of the most ludicrously overdramatic pieces of excrement I've seen in YEARS. Part of me wants to see it just because it looks SO bad, but the rest of me is thinking I should save my money for a movie that actually has a plot and characters.

Comment

I will still check this movie out.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Artha O'neill View Post
            2012 - Exclusive Scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZxBYItj2sM

Enjoy.
            What the hell...

The way they got to the car so fast, escaped buildings collapsing, freeways falling... and then they suddenly were in a plane? wth?

You just can't jump in a plane like that and get away, it takes awhile to prep a flight. and he didn't even know how to fly...

oh my.......

This movie looks... awful.

Comment

I love the repetition of it. They miraculously manage to keep the car going ahead of the wave of destruction only to get to the airplane... which miraculously stays ahead of the wave of destruction. Sheesh. Did Emmerich fail Moviemaking 101?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                I love the repetition of it. They miraculously manage to keep the car going ahead of the wave of destruction only to get to the airplane... which miraculously stays ahead of the wave of destruction. Sheesh. Did Emmerich fail Moviemaking 101?
                Independence Day was the last good film he's made IMO. Him and Shamalan (sp) both have the same problem, their movies get progressively worse each time.

2012 might be a box office success because of the hysterical hype but it probably won't be a lasting piece of art by any stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by TheChronoTrigger View Post
                  2012 might be a box office success because of the hysterical hype but it probably won't be a lasting piece of art by any stretch.
                  If it's a success I'm betting it'll be because people view it as a comedy.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                    That would be nice. I really hope it isn't just a "The Day After Tomorrow" remake, on a bigger scale.
                    It's The Day After Tomrrow 2: Apocalyptic Boogaloo. (one of my friends came up with that.)
                    Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                    The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                    A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                    That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                    Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                    Caboose: They could be worse?
                    Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

^^ I bet your friend spends a lot of time on Fark, where that's been a meme for years
                      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

it's not in my nature to agree with shadowmaat, but this movie will be so bad.

so...so.. bad.

i mean. really.

so.

bad.

sometimes i wish california would actually drop into the ocean, because it would get rid of hollywood and all the garbage is keeps making.

Comment

When I first heard of this project, and its links to mayan mythology (for the calendar thing), I imagined a more mystical movie, that would show some action taking place millenia ago, and an adventure focused on that; the reasons behind the predictions of the end of the world in 2012...
                          but from the trailers it seems to be just a "normal" disaster, (like films such as Volcano, Deep Impact..) and about a family trying to escape..
                          I hope I'm wrong, because the trailer disappoints me.

Comment

well, as usual, every time a bunch of whackos start claiming something will be the end of the world, hollywood makes a movie about it killing everyone- genetic engineering, comets, asteroids, global warming ( and global cooling), 1999 and finally 2012.

As usual, fodder to placate the brainless masses. IT will most likely make eleventy million dollars off of pure human stupidity.

( if you can't tell, I find the movie laughable and premise behind it just a shade above retarded)

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                              ^^ I bet your friend spends a lot of time on Fark, where that's been a meme for years
                              Yeah, that's true.

But if people take this movie as seriously as the Day After Tomorrow, I might become a hermit to avoid the stupid.
                              Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                              The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                              I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                              A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                              That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                              Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                              Caboose: They could be worse?
                              Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Just got back from seeing 2012 in theaters. So here's a review:

Though I admit to being a fan of Roland Emmerich's previous films I was skeptical about 2012. Not because of Emmerich but because of the subject matter: the supposedly prophesied by the Mayan's end of the world on December 21st, 2012. While I don't believe that the world is going to end, I did see the film. While it isn't a great movie by any means it is still a fast-paced, well-acted film with some jaw dropping special effects.

Continuing an Emmerich tradition the film has an all-star cast that do well even with a script with issues. Leading it is John Cusack as struggling science fiction writer John Cusack who, while initially an odd choice to be playing the lead in an action film, proves to be up to the challenge and gives a fine performance. Joining Cusack as his ex-wife Kate is Amanda Peet who gives an admirable performance instead of a potentially one dimensional performance. Another fine performance comes from Chiwetel Ejiofor as the scientist who sounds the alarm on impending doom and becomes a voice of reason amongst the chaos. There's admirable performances from Oliver Platt as the White House chief of staff Carl Anheuser, Danny Glover as the President caught up in the greatest crisis ever to face humanity and Thandie Newton as his daughter plus a wonderfully over-the-top performance from Woody Harrelson as the conspiracy-theorist radio talk show host Charlie Frost. Then there's fine supporting characters including Professor West (John Billingsley) and Russian billionaire Yuri Karpov (Zlatko Buric) amongst others. All that said 2012 features what quite possibly be the worst impersonation of Arnold Schwarzenegger ever committed to film though thankfully he appears very briefly and just long enough to be noticeable. Besides that this is a well-acted film.

Now onto the other big thing about 2012: the special effects. Those who have seen Emmerich's work (Stargate, Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow etc.) know his films are showcases of special effects and CGI. 2012 is no exception with some absolutely incredible CGI and special effects sequences that are, quite literally, jaw dropping and worthy of being seen on the big screen. They range from earthquakes to volcanic eruptions to tsunamis in as many different forms and settings as you can imagine. Many of them are quite unexpected and help to give the Emmerich cliche of landmark destruction some variety. Meaning that once again Emmerich has outdone himself with his biggest and best disaster effects to date.

Outside of the effects the film also boosts some fine production values as well. This is especially true of the sets from Production Designer Barry Chusid who once again creates an incredible White House set (another Emmerich cliche it seems) and the fabulous interior sets of the Arks. The film is rather fast paced, not not terribly so, in the hands of editors David Brenner and Peter S. Elliot. Then, to add tension to the film, is the score from composers Harald Kloser (who previously did The Day After Tomorrow) and Thomas Wander whose score, while not a classic by any means, is as fine a score as any of those accompanying Emmerich's previous films. All together they help boost the film's cast and effects.

Not to say the film is perfect of course. While it may be well acted and full of incredible special effects it is fair to say the script is rather lacking. It isn't just the use of the supposed end of the world in 2012 as a launching off point either. The film has quite a few pieces of clunky dialogue (especially in the President's lines) which thankfully the actors manage to do their best to make it sound sincere and natural though not always successfully. There's also the matter of the plot as well of course which requires quite a few leaps over some sizable plot holes to make work and without which there wouldn't be a script. To put it bluntly if, like me, you thought an alien invasion being foiled by a computer virus in Independence Day was a bit too much to swallow then don't try to connect the dots in this film. That said the film does have some nice dialogue (especially in scenes with Helmsley and Anheuser on the ethics of whether or not to issue warnings) plus some elements that harken back to the disaster films of the past, especially George Pal's When Worlds Collide. While not a great script it is still a good one even with some of its issues.

So where does 2012 stand then? Well it has a script with some issues (some clunky dialogue and plot holes) for one thing. On the other hand the cast make good use of the script to the point of some improvement, incredible special effects sequences and with plenty of fine production values to boot. It also harkens back to some of the better disaster of the films of the past (especially the aforementioned When Worlds Collide) and actually makes good use of the 2012 end of the world idea. 2012 isn't a great film but as a tense disaster film with a fine cast and great effects it works rather well.

4/5

timdalton007

Comment

Working...
                                X