No announcement yet.

The Chronicles of Narnia General Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was thinking of going to see Dawn Treader today, early showings today before tomorrows general release. But is it true, the film isn't even 2 hours long? That's rather short given the nearly 2 and half hour duration of the first two.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
      I was thinking of going to see Dawn Treader today, early showings today before tomorrows general release. But is it true, the film isn't even 2 hours long? That's rather short given the nearly 2 and half hour duration of the first two.
      I just bought the tickets online last night. Indeed the movie is 1 hour 52 minutes long. It could be that they went for a lean interpretation and get right to the Dawn Treader quickly in the beginning? The first two movies had quite a bit of exposition. Hopefully they don't leave anything out as DT was the longest and the best of the 7 books IMO.
      sigpic

Comment

I got back from seeing it, and I wasn't impressed. I can understand why it was about 40 minutes shorter than the first two, as there is only so much you can do on a boat and you lose a lot of screen time when you don't have to focus on the main villain. However I think the exposition was needed, because it was basically go from location to location, getting into trouble or getting a convenient bit of help from someone.

Is there any book, where Aslan doesn't show up at the end to conveniently save the day?

I will say that I didn't like the recasting of Eddie Izzard.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
          I got back from seeing it, and I wasn't impressed. I can understand why it was about 40 minutes shorter than the first two, as there is only so much you can do on a boat and you lose a lot of screen time when you don't have to focus on the main villain. However I think the exposition was needed, because it was basically go from location to location, getting into trouble or getting a convenient bit of help from someone.

Is there any book, where Aslan doesn't show up at the end to conveniently save the day?

I will say that I didn't like the recasting of Eddie Izzard.
          That doesn't sound too good.
          sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't be too down on it. The majority of reviews I've read said the film was excellent was the most "Narnian"-feeling of the 3 made so far. Only a few people, from what I've seen, were unimpressed.

I mean, the Queen of England apparently cried at the end of it during the Royal Premiere...and she almost never goes out to see films. Not that that really says much, but it's still cute...

Also, @ SaberBlade - Aslan in a sense does "save the day" in some way in each of the books (except maybe VDT, where in the book anyway, he just appears at the end). It may seem repetitive, but it's necessary to the series because of C.S. Lewis' representation of Aslan as a Christ figure--therefore, according to Christian theology, human beings CAN'T "save the day" on their own and need to put trust in the divine in order to overcome obstacles. Which is why the Narnians can only defeat adversity once they trust Aslan and he shows up to intervene.
            "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
            sigpic
            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
              I wouldn't be too down on it. The majority of reviews I've read said the film was excellent was the most "Narnian"-feeling of the 3 made so far. Only a few people, from what I've seen, were unimpressed.

I mean, the Queen of England apparently cried at the end of it during the Royal Premiere...and she almost never goes out to see films. Not that that really says much, but it's still cute...

Also, @ SaberBlade - Aslan in a sense does "save the day" in some way in each of the books (except maybe VDT, where in the book anyway, he just appears at the end). It may seem repetitive, but it's necessary to the series because of C.S. Lewis' representation of Aslan as a Christ figure--therefore, according to Christian theology, human beings CAN'T "save the day" on their own and need to put trust in the divine in order to overcome obstacles. Which is why the Narnians can only defeat adversity once they trust Aslan and he shows up to intervene.
              I just got back from seeing Voyage of the Dawn Treader and I wish it was longer, considerably longer. I can understand why it was trimmed down though. I like the fact that it gets right into Narnia, much like the book did.

Spoiler:
              I think getting to the edge of the world could have been drawn out more. We could have seen so much more, especially with the merpeople and the journey through the Last Sea. However, I can understand the budgetary and other logistical reasons why it was cut.

With the recurring theme of the green mist and the remaining visage of the White Witch showing herself again, I can see how they're setting up The Silver Chair.

After I go to the gym on Sunday, I'm seeing Dawn Treader again, this time by myself.
              sigpic

Comment

Finally a Thread for this since I really need to get something off my Chest. I love Narnia, every Book and every Movie, but I really need to object to the ending of it. This ruined Lost for me and I am sure as Hell am not gonna accept that this Storytwist ruins Narnia for me.

Spoiler:
                I talk about the fact that the Kids are supposed to be Dead from the beginning. That makes all the Story useless in my eyes. Where is the suspense in Surviving and getting Home when its all just afterlife?
                Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                  Finally a Thread for this since I really need to get something off my Chest. I love Narnia, every Book and every Movie, but I really need to object to the ending of it. This ruined Lost for me and I am sure as Hell am not gonna accept that this Storytwist ruins Narnia for me.

Spoiler:
                  I talk about the fact that the Kids are supposed to be Dead from the beginning. That makes all the Story useless in my eyes. Where is the suspense in Surviving and getting Home when its all just afterlife?
                  Spoiler:
                  Actually they're not dead. When you get to the Last Battle they're dead, but definitely not in the other six stories. Polly Plummer and Digory Kirke were most definitely amongst the land of the living in the Magician's Nephew. I think you should reread the Last Battle. Eustace and Jill get to Narnia by magic rings the other kids recover in the real world. They're alive all the way until the final chapter.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cold Fuzz View Post
                    Spoiler:
                    Actually they're not dead. When you get to the Last Battle they're dead, but definitely not in the other six stories. Polly Plummer and Digory Kirke were most definitely amongst the land of the living in the Magician's Nephew. I think you should reread the Last Battle. Eustace and Jill get to Narnia by magic rings the other kids recover in the real world. They're alive all the way until the final chapter.
                    Spoiler:
                    I can live a lot better with that, but I am pretty sure I read that a Bomb hit the Train the Children where in before they got to the Professor. Which just made it weird for me.
                    Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                    Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                      Spoiler:
                      I can live a lot better with that, but I am pretty sure I read that a Bomb hit the Train the Children where in before they got to the Professor. Which just made it weird for me.
                      Spoiler:
                      There was a train accident with the kids but that's only in the final section of the book. Otherwise everybody's alive and well until we see all 7 of the kings and queens in the doorway at Stable Hill.
                      sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:
                        There was a train accident with the kids but that's only in the final section of the book. Otherwise everybody's alive and well until we see all 7 of the kings and queens in the doorway at Stable Hill.
                        Okay, thanks for explaining that. Now I can go into the new Movie and really enjoy it. I still will think If I will watch the last one though. I just like to keep that out of the equasion, but so far the movie makers have changed every book. So lets see if they will stay true or even if they will go till the last book.
                        Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                        Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald

Comment

Made this in honor of the new movie:

Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

Carrie Underwood's song "There's A Place for Us" for the movie has gotten a Golden Globe nomination! I know her version is only at the end credits of the U.S. version of the movie, but since she wrote the song, the nomination is well-deserved.

"YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                            sigpic
                            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Spoiler:
                              Doesn't one of them survive this (in the real world) though?
                              Spoiler:
                              Susan I think?
                              As for the Dawn Trader; I thought it was quite dull and crap. The first Narnia movie was okay, I enjoyed the second one, but this third one, in my opinion, quite a waste.
                              sigpic
                              It's Probin' Time!

Comment

So apparently the next film, if it should happen, will be The Magician's Nephew:

The Next Narnia Movie Would be The Magician's Nephew

Walden Media co-founder and president Michael Flaherty has revealed to The Christian Post that if there will be another "Narnia" movie, it will be The Magician's Nephew and not The Silver Chair as many fans has expected.

"We are starting to talk to Fox and talk to the C.S. Lewis estate now about the Magician's Nephew being our next film," Flaherty said. "If we can all agree to move forward, then what we would do is find someone to write the script. So, it could still be a couple of years."
                                http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=75480
                                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Working...
                                X