Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought a copy of the original. MUCH MUCH better, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
      Just bought a copy of the original. MUCH MUCH better, IMO.
      Bringing up this thread again because I too just picked up a copy of the original (had it on tape) on DVD at HMV for $6. So just watched it after not having watched it in years. I checked out wiki for the info on what was changed with the remake. To be honest, I think they should've just treated it like a new movie. I'm going to wait for the library to get a copy and watch it so I can curse at it .
      Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

I just watched the Keanu Reeves version of The Day The Earth Stood Still and omg it sucked........ Great special effects do not make a good movie if you can't back that up with a solid story.

I watched the Original too and have to say that beyond a shadow of a doubt the origonal film stacks up way highter. The original has lasting repeat value.

Thoughts?
        Original Version 8/10
        Remake Version 4/10

===============

Also as a secondary thought do you think we should be sending signals out into space trying to see if someone will take notice of them? Do you think that's a wise thing to do?
        Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Tbh, I thought some of the speical effects in the new movie were pretty lame, you could see the parts that were not done very well.

Other then that, I agree the movie sucked. I had hoped it would have been better. I haven't seen the original though, so I can't compare.

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
            Well in the trailer I saw. Klaatu was being interrogated and he seemed OK, except Klaatu wasn't real, but instead was something inside of Keanu. And then the statement later about; if the girl lives the earth dies, if the girl dies the earth lives, something crazy to that effect.

I'm pretty sure he said "if you (humans) live then the Earth dies, and if the Humans die then the Earth lives"

This movie would have been a whole bunch better had Klaatu made mention of his previous visit to Earth and how he gave humanity an ultimatum to change it's ways. Then at least I could have bought that there was some kind of connection to the original..... It would explain how more advanced he and his ship would have become too.

Also I would have gone for a sad ending with Klaatu, the woman, and the agent guy with her, and that brat hiding in the sphere while the locusts cleansed the Earth. Once their job is done Klaatu could have let them out and told them to start over then he leaves and we see a barren Earth with these three to start over.......
            Last edited by Coco Pops; 26 August 2009, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
              I just watched the Keanu Reeves version of The Day The Earth Stood Still and omg it sucked........ Great special effects do not make a good movie if you can't back that up with a solid story.

I watched the Original too and have to say that beyond a shadow of a doubt the origonal film stacks up way highter. The original has lasting repeat value.

Thoughts?
              Original Version 8/10
              Remake Version 4/10

===============

Also as a secondary thought do you think we should be sending signals out into space trying to see if someone will take notice of them? Do you think that's a wise thing to do?
              I agree the original is much better. I didnt even and mostly wont see this new remake of it.

As sending signals out, no one wont get it until for like thousands of years. The first signals that will most likely get someone attention is the very first radio signals.

Comment

You know I'd like to think that that is true....

That on some far distant world much more advanced then us they have observed us and think "oh my god let's not even go there, or try to contact them" Because from their point of view looking back at Earth we'd be in their past and primitive, if you take the speed of light into consideration just as much as any planets we observe from Earth would be from our perspective in our past..

We might even viewed as the riff raff neighbours on the street no one wishes to know so to speak.

Comment

Saw the remake through my library. Good thing too because I'd have hated to pay for that piece of Even my 9 year old son liked the original better! Which kind of surprised me. But then he's seen lots of older sci-fi so I've got him trained well.
                  Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

I liked it. But i never saw the original so i can't compare.

Comment

Originally posted by leeman15251 View Post
                      I liked it. But i never saw the original so i can't compare.

I wish I hadn't even paid the bargain price. But it is good to play and compare to the original..

Now the remake of Andromeda Strain I felt more exciting then the original movie.

Comment

What annoy me about this film was that is had the potential to be a great film. It just needed a few rewrites an some depth added.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                          What annoy me about this film was that is had the potential to be a great film. It just needed a few rewrites an some depth added.

It needed more then a few.... It was attrocious. Keanu was like zombie Klaatu

Comment

Working...
                          X