Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One worth mentioning is Isaac Asimov's "The Final Question". It's pretty pessimistic, but it does have a quasi-happy ending. 100 trillion years into the future, "Humans" - now existing as pure thought - have become so god-like that they give birth to a new Universe from the ashes of the old one. Truly awesome and awe-inspiring.
    Last edited by NoobTau'ri; 02 September 2008, 06:56 PM.

Comment

if you are talking books simmons' Illium universe is cool, humanity is split into 2 groups, the post humans who have evolved to the point of godlike ability, have gone back in time to impersonate the greek gods, they are post literate and can't even remember their origins, and the eloi like transhumans, were originally limited to 1,000,000 on all of earth (although that number decreases constantly), are physiologically reset to post-pubescence every 20 years, but can only live to 100, and are occasionally eaten by dinosaurs and caliban...
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AvatarIII View Post
        isn't lexx set in the present day though?
        to be honest, that show was too wierd even for me to get into (and i usually have a high tollerence for wierdness) but it was just too wacky, so i wasnt paying much attention to the storyline

i just assumed that because it featured a space ship blowing up planets and a dead assasin that it was in the future my bad

i do knnow that blake 7 was set in the future, it had a pretty bleak future
        Last Movie Watched
        X-men - First Class

Last Video Game Played
        Life is Strange

Comment

how about the reelation space universe, everything is infected with a nanotechnological plague and there not even any FTL!! and we live side by side with creatures evolved from pigs that we use to get hearts and stuff from...
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
          - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NoobTau'ri View Post
            One worth mentioning is Isaac Asimov's "The Final Question". It's pretty pessimistic, but it does have a quasi-happy ending. 100 trillion years into the future, "Humans" - now existing as pure thought - have become so god-like that they give birth to a new Universe from the ashes of the old one. Truly awesome and awe-inspiring.
            I agree with everything you said apart from the pessimistic part. I found it quite inspiring and oddly comforting.

If I can inquire, why did you find it pessimistic?
            Spoiler:
            That humans couldn't conquer the last hurdle? Or that humanity dies with little to show for it? (apart from multivac of course...)

In spoiler tags because i'm a firm believer that everyone should that that short story completely spoiler free. The ultimate story imo!

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

No 'Terminator'? No 'Sunshine'?
              If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt. ~Henry J. Kaiser

Comment

Originally posted by Teslan View Post
                No 'Terminator'? No 'Sunshine'?
                terminator is very very similar to the matrix. at least terminators have the decency to just kill you.

sunshine is a bad future, we employ psycho's as psych officers........... and send idiots to save the world......... a 'double wammy' of horribleness.
                sigpic
                EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                -Liberty Prime

Comment

1984 orwellian gloom

28 days later
                  sigpic

Jack: 'Mature symbiote, Immature host'
                  Teal'c: 'Indeed'
                  Artifysial: 'Thanks a million'

Comment

*facepalm* Shudda thought of this one a lot sooner.

Land of the Dead.
                    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

The Running Man (AHNOLD)

Outland (Connery)

Fortress

ZPG Zero Population Growth
                      Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

Idiocracy-It's got electrolytes!!!
                        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Planet of the apes.... 2001 version.

Who wants a world ruled by apes?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                            Planet of the apes.... 2001 version.

Who wants a world ruled by apes?
                            haven't we already got that!!

sigpic
                            EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                            -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                              haven't we already got that!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bodmanbod View Post
                                It has I Am Legend and The Omega Man, but both are film versions of the novel I Am Legend so are really the same future just depicted in slightly different ways by the directors.
                                I watched both movies recently and they are VERY different from each other. I Am Legend drops the vampires for zombies but is much closer to the novel. Omega Man is so different from the novel that it's only inspired by the novel. I listened a bit to the commentary and even the creators admit they wanted to make it their own movie. The Last Man on Earth with Vincent Price is the as close as to the novel you can get. I finally found a copy on a Vincent Price collection.
                                Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

Working...
                                X