This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the Fifth Race View Post
    Forget the camp factor (which is spot-on and brilliantly done!), how awesome is the fact that we are at war with a bunch of body-snapping insects. I found the orignal movie to be highly entertaining and quite cool.
    I wholeheartedly agree. The camp was spot on and hilarious in Starship Troopers!. It also gets major points for the shock factor of seeing a human body tore apart in every imaginable way with great detail.

And of course the acting is bad, that's the whole point - they are trying to act bad, and they do a pretty darn good job. Great stuff, and "highly entertaining".
    Originally posted by the Fifth Race
    Now the sequel was absolutely horrible, nothing redeeming what-so-ever!. But I did just rent and watch the recently released Starship Troopers III: Marauder which turned out to be surprisingly very good (they obviously had a much bigger budget for this one). Some of you fellow ST fans that got turned off from truly horrible part II might want to give the franchise another shot and rent Marauder: Part III.
    I also rented Starship Troopers III: Marauder, I loved it!. They definetly went back more to the original formula and the characters were even more over the top. I also highly recommend it to any ST fan.
    Originally posted by eviladam View Post
    To me theres good camp and there's bad camp, and it falls firmlly in the second category.
    So what do you consider good camp or camp you enjoy. Give us some examples then lets see. I know I would love to see your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Starbase View Post
      So what do you consider good camp or camp you enjoy. Give us some examples then lets see. I know I would love to see your choices.
      http://www.badmovies.org/movies/

there' a good example of both kinds here
      sigpic
      EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
      -Liberty Prime

Comment

I watched them when I was younger, the orginal was ok, the second I could get through it. But both I would not watch again, I have better things to do like clean out the barn.

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
          Really? Maybe you should watch Stargate Atlantis a bit more...
          Did I miss the episode where this sucker ripped through Atlantis?

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/NEWS_...imeslipbug.jpg
          Last edited by Bagpuss; 30 August 2009, 12:17 PM. Reason: no hotlinking ,thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bray View Post
            Did I miss the episode where this sucker ripped through Atlantis?

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/NEWS_...imeslipbug.jpg
            I attempted to make this point but you did it better.
            Last edited by Bagpuss; 30 August 2009, 12:17 PM. Reason: check out the pic reposting rules.:)

Comment

I caught Starship Troopers on TV a few years back while I was a young teenager and loved it. Hired it a few days ago...and still think so. Sure, it's camp, but it's SUPPOSED to be. My English teacher back in the day used to rave about it being a smart satire.

But all that aside, it makes interesting points and has an original perspective on the sci-fi genre.

(plus I am a sucker for camp)

Comment

Originally posted by HyperCaz View Post
                Hired it a few days ago...
                wut
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

My English teacher back in the day used to rave about it being a smart satire.
                  Well said, and your English teacher was dead-on correct. If you go back and actually listen to the very sarcastic and wonderfully campy diologue there is a lot of "smart and funny satire".
                  But all that aside, it makes interesting points and has an original perspective on the sci-fi genre.
                  Troopers does get points for orginality, it's still rather unique today.

Comment

Starship Troopers is a great "B" movie... however when comparing it to the novel, one of the greatest books ever written, it fails in comparison.

Ace
                    "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

I loved the original, if for nothing more than the eye candy of Casper Van Dien and Dina Meyer. I am curious to see the new one so I can openly lust over Jolene Blalock, I miss her from Enterprise, I need my Jolene fix, lol.

Comment

^^ Seen it, if anyone had doubts about whether the first one is a satire, they definitely won't with this one, calling it blatant would be putting it mildly.

Comment

I LOVE the original movie a lot.

It had some fantastic lines such as Dina Meyers when her character is bleeding all over the place and at death's door

"Oh Johnny well at least I got to have you"

I mean you don't get lines like that from dying characters in many movies and it cracks me up everytime that scene comes on.

I liked the satire too.

But more importantly they are making the point that to be a member of a scoiety comes RESPONSIBILITY and that's a good thing to show. Also that in life nothing truly comes for free.
                          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
                            But more importantly they are making the point that to be a member of a scoiety comes RESPONSIBILITY and that's a good thing to show. Also that in life nothing truly comes for free.
                            i thought the point was to hit bugs in the brain stem, cos a single limb leaves it 86% combat effective

that and the only good bug, is a dead bug! good advice

and her line is a classic, almost as good as "i'm spartacus!"
                            sigpic
                            EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                            -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                              i thought the point was to hit bugs in the brain stem, cos a single limb leaves it 86% combat effective

that and the only good bug, is a dead bug! good advice

and her line is a classic, almost as good as "i'm spartacus!"

Hehe. All this talk. I'm getting my DVD out now and watching it again
                              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X