X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're kidding!

Comment

Originally posted by D.C.
      Well Jurassic Park III wasn't as good as the first two, but this ones going to be done like the first two with lots of the same production team. King Kong also comes out next year. That's another one that will be added to the list.

puddlejumper: Heh, Episode III as well.
      a new King Kong? Man, why remake that one?

Comment

Hey cool you've got a War of the Worlds picture in your sig. I liked how that guy tricked the PreCrime into thinking that his crime was just an echo. I didn't mind that Tom Cruise was the hero. I also liked the fact that his wife was left to help him when he was eventually caught.
        DC, do you know if the aliens are "martians" or real aliens in this remake?

Comment

No one knows much about the aliens yet, but in the original teaser trailer they had an image of Earth from space with a red dot in the background... most likely Mars. Peter Jackson said that he wanted to remake King Kong because he loved it when he was a kid and he's noticing the new generations of film fans aren't interested in old movies.

Comment

You're kidding!
            I wish.

Originally posted by LordAnubis
            DC, do you know if the aliens are "martians" or real aliens in this remake?
            'Real aliens'? And what, pray tell, would you characterise Martians as if not 'real' aliens? Faux aliens? Mock aliens? Authentic, life-sized, highly-collectable resin replica aliens in a limited edition run (each one signed and numbered)? You youngsters have no respect for the classics.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

No one knows much about the aliens yet, but in the original teaser trailer they had an image of Earth from space with a red dot in the background... most likely Mars. Peter Jackson said that he wanted to remake King Kong because he loved it when he was a kid and he's noticing the new generations of film fans aren't interested in old movies.
              you're the same age as me dude. do you like old movies?

How can War of the Worlds have aliens from Mars when we know there is no life there and it's so close to us? Is it a remake of the original or a continuation...like the first war happened and now it's 50 years later and they're back?

Comment

I think it's the old story transplanted to a new setting. Like a retelling. I think it's 'first contact' with aliens. Yeah, we're the same age... I like some old movies, but Peter Jackson's probably right. I wouldn't intentionally go seek out and watch an old black and white movie.

Comment

Bloody kids.

Right; where to start? Firstly, we don't know that there's no life on Mars. Secondly, it's still probable that there was and part of the basic story is that Mars is a dying world. Thirdly, it's a bloody science fiction story about an alien invasion and you have problems with them being from Mars? Is it any more unlikely that they come from Mars than that they were studying our planet from outside the solar system?

But really; come on, man. It's War of the Worlds: They're Martians!
                  Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                  - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Yeah, I agree that it should be Martians, and I think it will be...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                      Bloody kids.

Right; where to start? Firstly, we don't know that there's no life on Mars. Secondly, it's still probable that there was and part of the basic story is that Mars is a dying world. Thirdly, it's a bloody science fiction story about an alien invasion and you have problems with them being from Mars? Is it any more unlikely that they come from Mars than that they were studying our planet from outside the solar system?

But really; come on, man. It's War of the Worlds: They're Martians!
                      damn, relax prophet. Dont be hating. I just asked. I think they should be from some other planet, because...well, I dunno...Mars is too close. If they had ships...I dunno, nevermind. Just seems that we could see if there some kind of life activity on the planet; it's not all that far.

Comment

Well, any other planet would be to weird. Mars is closet to Earth in many ways. It's a land mass, it has a hydrogen/oxygen based atmosphere, or at one point it did. And it also seemed to support life.

The other planets, just see to far fetched. Mercury and Venus are boiling land masses of molten lava and metals. Jupiter is a massive gas giant. Saturn is a frozen iceland. Neptune is a frozen gascious planet and Pluto is just Frozen. Also, Pluto entire mass could fit into Earth, like 2.5x, so it wouldn't make sense for them to attack us. And Urans has no atmosphere I think. Don't quote me on Urans.

But your point on travel is a logical factor. Mars is the closet planet to us, and if someone wanted to invade, they would invade the closest planet. So Mars just seems to be a more and more logical choice.

Just the way I see things.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                        [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

WOTW TV trailer looks pretty good - though tantalizing short. I can't wait for some in movie clips. I just may be in the theatre for this one.
                          TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Yeah, I was expecting the TV spot to be longer but I guess they paid millions of dollars for each second during the Superbowl. It was awesome, though. I haven't seen or read the original War of the Worlds so I'm not sure what the invasion 'involves', but I think it can be made plausable that they're from Mars.

Comment

I saw the original. Cheesy and funny, but great re-make material. I actually thought Sky Captain was supposed to be the re-make, but then I saw WOTW trailer and figured, oh another one. I hope Speilburg sharpens it up. It sounds good, anyway.
                              TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

Its not entirely unreasonable for the alien planet of origin to be changed. Thats what was done in the War of the Worlds TV series and it was a continuation of the original movie. Hell they kept changing the name of the planet throughout the series. In the first season the aliens called their homeworld Mortax. After they revamped the series in the second season they changed the name of the planet again to Morthray, and even after that one of the aliens would slip and call their homeworld Morthrye.

But I think that everything that has been shown so far indicates that it they will keep the invaders comming from Mars. It would be fairly easy explain away how they could be from Mars yet have gone undetected by our probes. Simply havving it that they were underground in stasis waiting for their world to recover. It was good enough for the Shadows of B5 (OK technicaly they were just in hiding but still), the Atavus of EFC, and the Silurians of Dr Who so why not the Martians?

Comment

Working...
                                X