X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I think this would have been a better ending:

Spoiler:
    The computer having all information it´s ever going to get simply answers "No, entrophy can´t be reversed." and shuts itself down.

Comment

Originally posted by Exiled Master View Post
      I can level only one, minute criticism at the otherwise supperb story: It never names the solution. The solution that puts all other things into order. Indeed, the very counter to entropy itself! The final computer, which had taken the mantle of every challenge put before it, was left with the ultimate question of the universe! And the answer was...
      Spoiler:
      Nah, the answer would have been needless technobabble. I don't want to see Asimov writing about reversing the phase variance on the nacelles while alterting the transducence of the deflector array and jerry-rigging them in tandom to correct the instability in the warp core. Hello Star Trek voyager.

Spoiler:
      Besides that, I think the "let there be light!" line is its solution. Trillions and millions and billions of years of technological and human evolution to the point that their combined knowledge becomes one in the form of (what would later be believed to be) deity, working together to recreate the universe. "Let there be light" is the succicint and non-boring way to do it....

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post

Spoiler:
      The computer having all information it´s ever going to get simply answers "No, entrophy can´t be reversed." and shuts itself down.
      That would've been a bit of a buzzkill, no?
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post

Depends on your perspective, I for one would have found it very amusing and a lot more plausable.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrminarrd View Post

Spoiler:
          ... Probably why you're not a sci-fi writer. :-#

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
            Oh, I love this story.

ACtualyl it has a very special place in my heart for quite a silly reason - year 8 we had a big book of short stories for literature class, loads of short stories. My dad just gave me his copy of the Foundatino books tor ead because we have quite a similar taste in books (and music and television and whatnot really) and so he said he thinks I'd like it - which I really did. And then, in the boredom of class, I discovered the story on the book and went "cool, Asimov!" and read it, pretending to be studying.
            IT happened more than once, they were very boring classes. And I was so happy it was there, time and again
            Originally posted by MB.Eddie View Post
            Asimov is one of my favourite writers. This short story was an interesting read. Thanks for the link
            Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            Nah, the answer would have been needless technobabble. I don't want to see Asimov writing about reversing the phase variance on the nacelles while alterting the transducence of the deflector array and jerry-rigging them in tandom to correct the instability in the warp core. Hello Star Trek voyager.

Spoiler:
            Besides that, I think the "let there be light!" line is its solution. Trillions and millions and billions of years of technological and human evolution to the point that their combined knowledge becomes one in the form of (what would later be believed to be) deity, working together to recreate the universe. "Let there be light" is the succicint and non-boring way to do it....

I love asimov and his writings, actually one of the funniest is the biographical sketch he wrote for his books. The man could laugh at himself! I loved this story from the first for after all what matter is intelligence! It was a great bit of understatement.

Comment

Thanks for the link Digifluid. It's been a long time since I've picked up a selection of short stories and this reminded me of how much I love reading them. The thought of this endless cycle of life is mind boggling and that's what I love about Asimov's stories. The setting and language maybe of the time it was written in but the concepts and food for thought he presents are timeless.

Comment

Working...
              X