Terry Pratchett/Diskworld Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BruTak
    Sean Bean as Vimes. Chris Eccleston as Carrot. Sylvester McCoy as Nobby. Mel Smith as Fred Colon.
    I can exactly see the first two but isn't McCoy a bit old for Nobby? After all nobby's younger than Colon...
    Johnny Vegas in drag?!? (shudder) There will now be a brief pause while I gouge out my eyeballs...
    Now that I'd rather peversely want to see... (The drag, not the gouging incase you were wondering)

Favourite book - I think somehow my first is still my favourite in my mind, might change my mind if I reread them all but I loved Guards!Guards!. Fond of all the watch books really and very much enjoying Monstrous Regiment. Maladict, Jackrum, Polly, certainly no shortage of great characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Perriman33
      How about a favourite book?
      Mine would probably be Guards!Guards! I think that's because I like the characters the best Although I really like Death (the character, not actual death!), so I suppose Mort was quite good in the way that we got to see another side to the Grim Reaper himself

Comment

A Fav is hard. Overall, prolly Witches Abroad because I loved what he did to fairy tales, and the mirror thing at the end was brilliant. But Nightwatch is one of the most addictive stories, and the commentary on religion in Small Gods is the best. Ever.
        And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
        Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
        Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
        Daniel: Oh! You see?
        Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

Mort, most definitely. It was the first one I read, and as Death is my favourite character anyway, I loved it.

There's something about anthropomorphic personifications that cracks me up

Comment

Originally posted by Perriman33
            Just gouge one for the moment mate, you'll need something left in case he appears naked.
            Johnny Vegas in the nude!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH! (runs away screaming in terror, plucking out eyeballs on the run)
            sigpic
            Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
            To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
            And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

I loooooooooove Terry Pratchett! his books are simply awesome

Comment

Okay, quick poll - who's read Mr. P's Discworld picture-book "Where's My Cow?"
                sigpic
                Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,

Comment

Okay, quick poll - who's read Mr. P's Discworld picture-book "Where's My Cow?"
                  I have!

I have to say, though, I was a wee bit disappointed. I think I'd have preferred to have the actual book as opposed to Sam reading the book. Or at the very least, get a different illustrator. I didn't like the way that items were anthropomorphized. But maybe it's because I'm too old to appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    I have!

I have to say, though, I was a wee bit disappointed. I think I'd have preferred to have the actual book as opposed to Sam reading the book. Or at the very least, get a different illustrator. I didn't like the way that items were anthropomorphized. But maybe it's because I'm too old to appreciate it.
                    Right then, next question - was it just me, or did the artist make Vimes look like actor Pete Posslethwaite?
                    sigpic

Comment

LOL! Alas, I have no idea what Peter looks like, so I can't really say. He does seem reminiscent of Paul Kidby's version of Vimes. ...I think. Which doesn't mean it isn't still meant to look like Petey.

Comment

Bunch of Pratchett worshippers, in my family. We have the whole collection, now including some of the audio books. I've read up to The Hogfather in the Discworld series, the Diggers/Truckers/Wings series, Carpet People and Amazing Maurice.

Death is my fav character - he tries so hard - and I just love good, solid, reasonable Susan Sto Helit. Stories involving the witches are my favorites, though.
                        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
                          Bunch of Pratchett worshippers, in my family. We have the whole collection, now including some of the audio books. I've read up to The Hogfather in the Discworld series, the Diggers/Truckers/Wings series, Carpet People and Amazing Maurice.

Death is my fav character - he tries so hard - and I just love good, solid, reasonable Susan Sto Helit. Stories involving the witches are my favorites, though.
                          yeah Death really rock! he's my fave character too!

Comment

LOL! Alas, I have no idea what Peter looks like, so I can't really say. He does seem reminiscent of Paul Kidby's version of Vimes. ...I think. Which doesn't mean it isn't still meant to look like Petey.
                            Gotta love Death - I DON'T KNOW ABOUT YOU, BOY. BUT i COULD MURDER A CURRY...

Go to www.imdb.com/find?q=Pete%20Posslethwaite;s=all if you want a list of movies and so on ol' Pete's been in.

How about we all put our thinking helmets on, and see if we can come up with an ideal cast list for a Discworld movie?
                            sigpic

Comment

Actually, I usually don't think beyond the first two, but now that I've given it a bit more thought, I'd have to say (in no particular order):
                              Good Omens by Pterry and Neil Gaiman
                              To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
                              Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
                              Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook (hey, if I'm gonna be alone I'm gonna need to know how to survive!)
                              And then either a book of HP Lovecraft stories (because being abandoned in the mysterious middle of nowhere isn't scary enough), a book of baby names (for story writing purposes), or maybe Bellwether by Connie Willis.
                              To Say Nothing of the Dog is a fantastic book. I just loved it. I haven't read Bellwether though. How does that one compare?

As for TP, the Discworld series is definitely one of my favourites. I love the Witches (and Death too, of course ). I just got finished with The Wee Free Men and A Hat Full of Sky and I'm about to start on Going Postal. I still have Thud! to read too.

Comment

Bellwether is similar in its lightweight "comedy of errors" approach to romance. I'd say TSNOTD has the better story, but Bellwether is still fun and full of useless trivia.

Does anyone NOT love Death? I kinda figure James Earl Jones would be the ultimate for voicing Death (assuming we go with a Gollum-like CGI-overlay creation instead of a dude in a cloak).

I figure the cast should be mostly English (I prefer authentic accents) but that kinda limits me since I'm not familiar enough with the casting possibilities on the other side of the pond... outside of Harry Potter and Doctor Who people.

Comment

Working...
                                X