Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you prefer to read or watch Sci-Fi/Fantasy?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read it, I watch it, I write it, I occasionally dream it. Will take scifi any way I can get it. Although I have a very low tolerance for dreck, so I won't read or watch anything just because it has aliens in it or something. I have to like the concept or the storyline or the author/director. I've made exceptions, of course, but in general I prefer quality over quantity.

As for fics... I'll write 'em occasionally when I'm motivated, but I generally don't read them because I'm excessively anal about things like grammar and characterization and because a lot of fics are written by- if you'll forgive me- non-writers. Sure, there's plenty of great fic out there writen by fabulous authors, but on a general level I just can't be bothered to dig through and find the good stuff. Besides, nost of the really good stuff seems to be shippy, and I loathe ship.

Authors I like: Connie Willis, Terry Pratchett, David Weber, Ian Douglas. Oh, and Jasper Fforde and some of Robert J Sawyer.
    Fave scifi movies: Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Abyss, Galaxy Quest, Men in Black. Also the Day the Earth Stood Still and When Worlds Collide.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
      I read it, I watch it, I write it, I occasionally dream it. Will take scifi any way I can get it. Although I have a very low tolerance for dreck, so I won't read or watch anything just because it has aliens in it or something. I have to like the concept or the storyline or the author/director. I've made exceptions, of course, but in general I prefer quality over quantity.
      So I guess that means you won't be watching Boa vs. Python just to see a long-haired somewhat buff looking David Hewlitt? I don't like the uber cheesy sci-fi much myself.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
        So I guess that means you won't be watching Boa vs. Python just to see a long-haired somewhat buff looking David Hewlitt? I don't like the uber cheesy sci-fi much myself.
        Welll... as I said, I DO make exceptions. But in a case like that, I'd probably watch just long enough to see his scene (or a scene with him in it, which will hopefully be near the beginning) and then change the channel again.

If he's buff enough looking, I could tolerate two scenes.

Never said I wasn't shallow... hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
          Up until very recently I've never ever found any way of reconciling what I've read with what I see on the screen

I deal with that by seeing them as two separate things.

So,... these movies are just fanfics of the books, right?

[/QUOTE]
          But in general, I'd rather stick pins in my eyeballs than watch the dramatisation of a novel.[/QUOTE]

Ah, yes, I see; you want to create your own drama and special effects....
          Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
          "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
          One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
          resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
          confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
          A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
          The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

I am so tired of watching shoot-em-ups that I went to the library and got a book. And a copy of Discover magazine. I am so disgusted with television sci-fi these days.

Comment

I'd like to watch it of course.
              Stargate episodes just don't compare to their books.

Comment

Scifi I usualy like to watch.

Fantasy, I don't care.
                sigpic

Comment

I like to watch scifi cuz I like to see their unique vision. Especially if they put out a movie, I'm always dissapointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
                    Scifi I usualy like to watch.

Fantasy, I don't care.

Same here. I used to read those Star Wars jedi Knight books, but they got boring really fast.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I think that when both (book and tv) are of excellent quality then they are equally as enjoyable. I can get engrossed equally in a great episode of SG1 or other SciFi TV as I can in a great SciFi Novel. I can sit on the couch and watch 6 hrs of SG1 (9 Episodes) continuously, just as easily as I can sit and read Ender's Game in a sitting. It all depends on quality. That being said I haven't read a SciFi book since March (Reading "The Code Book now"..really good) and still watch at least an hour of SciFi TV a day. Go figure.

Comment

I like to read or watch Sci-fi or fantasy stuff. I like to read more because well...my mind can visualize all the stuff better. Like how magic or fire comes out of something. You know. Crap like that.

Zal
                        *Mckay* We tried other things first.
                        *Sheppard smiling* I shot him.

Comment

Working...
                        X