This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only in half a dozen countries... *sob*
    The rest of us will have to wait till September.
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

sept's only two weeks away

And it may be a graphic novel, not a 'real' novel. I jsut shortened it cause i was too lazy to type it out
      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, September's not to bad, hopefully it'll show here then.

As for the novel, it's a regular one. His graphic novels are the Sandman ones
        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
        Yes, I am!
        sigpic
        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

I think it's both a novel AND a graphic novel. And now a movie, too. And probably a play. Or possibly a radio drama.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
            I think it's both a novel AND a graphic novel. And now a movie, too. And probably a play. Or possibly a radio drama.
            Though technically it's an "illustrated" novel, not a graphic novel. As Charles Vess said on hypaspace a few weeks ago: "where are the word balloons?"

And just re-released in a beautiful hardcover version of the "illustrated" novel.

Easter Lily: Neil Gaiman has written many novels including "American Gods", "Neverwhere", "Anansi Boys", and "Good Omens" with Terry Pratchett. All of which are excellent.

Comment

Neverwhere was made into a miniseries, too. I have it on DVD somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                Neverwhere was made into a miniseries, too. I have it on DVD somewhere...
                I haven't seen it- though I thought the miniseries came before the book and that the book was written to include things the miniseries wasn't able to? (I could be completely wrong there)

Is it any good?

Comment

The miniseries came first? Didn't know that. The miniseries is... odd. I didn't like it as much as I liked Stardust, but I'm still glad I saw it and it was interesting to see how some things from the book were interpreted. Loved the book, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                    Though technically it's an "illustrated" novel, not a graphic novel. As Charles Vess said on hypaspace a few weeks ago: "where are the word balloons?"

And just re-released in a beautiful hardcover version of the "illustrated" novel.

Easter Lily: Neil Gaiman has written many novels including "American Gods", "Neverwhere", "Anansi Boys", and "Good Omens" with Terry Pratchett. All of which are excellent.
                    I dunno, I thought Anansi Boys wasn't quite up to par with his usual work, and the same with Fragile Things.... it was quite disappointing that I've read them one afer the other!

Yeah, I got Neverwhere somewhere too, a friend gave it to me. Should watch.
                    (Only now a differnet friend has given me The Second Coming which I also wanted to watch for ages... prioritise!.... *prioritising and goign back to Japanese... )
                    Yes, I am!
                    sigpic
                    Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                    Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Although enjoyed Stardust and it really was charming (very much looking forward to the movie), I happened to read American Gods first, which is just bind-blowingly brilliant, and I think for that reason Stardust seemed to lack depth. BUt then again, it was brilliant in its simplicity and making it longer may have detracted from this
                      sigpic

Comment

Y'know, I just couldn't warm to the American Gods/Anansi Boys books, which is weird, because I LOVE mythology and even stole the idea of "gods living among us" idea for some of my own stories, but something about the tone just didn't set well with me. Maybe they're just too close to reality.

Comment

American Gods is hard to get into but absolutely brilliant. Great ideas and really interesting takes on mythology and modern society. If you haven't read it, then I highly recommend it
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zatarc View Post
                            Although enjoyed Stardust and it really was charming (very much looking forward to the movie), I happened to read American Gods first, which is just bind-blowingly brilliant, and I think for that reason Stardust seemed to lack depth. BUt then again, it was brilliant in its simplicity and making it longer may have detracted from this
                            IT does feel very differnet tho. Stardust is a fairytale. American Gods is, well.....not.
                            Yes, I am!
                            sigpic
                            Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Zatarc View Post
                              Stardust was the first thing by him that I read (I think I just picked it out off the shelf at the library one day), and I absolutely loved it right from the beginning, but as you say about American Gods.....that book floored me, it's probably my favourite book that I've ever read, and automatically made him my favourite author. It is such a brilliant piece of work, and after that I was desperate to read everything else he's written.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post

Ta... I asked only because my local library will probably not have graphic novels lying around the shelves.
                                Sounds lovely though.

Quite prolific, I see.
                                I heard he also had something to do with the English version of Princess Mononoke.
                                sigpic
                                "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Working...
                                X