No announcement yet.

I AM LEGEND Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I support Will Smith primarily because he's one of the few actors in hollywood who has managed to not screw up his life. He has a family and doesn't crave public attention.

With that said, I hope this move turns out good. With a title of "I Am Legend", this movie better pack a wallop.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicksterr View Post
      I support Will Smith primarily because he's one of the few actors in hollywood who has managed to not screw up his life. He has a family and doesn't crave public attention.

With that said, I hope this move turns out good. With a title of "I Am Legend", this movie better pack a wallop.
      From the previews I've seen, it sure looks like it will pack quite a wallop. I totally support Will Smith in this role as well.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I thought it looked just like an american version of 28 Days Later....Only maybe this time they'll get it right and not make crappy, pointless second half which revolves around overly horny soldiers getting laid.
        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Hey 28 Days Later was a terrific movie!
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

For those who wish to see a different side of Will Smith, I suggest watching the following movies:

The Legend of Bagger Vance - A movie that's just all right, but he plays someone completely against type.
            Ali - He completely transforms himself into a different person. First AA nomination.
            Pursuit of Happyness - Definitely a quieter, more emotional, more demanding role than usual. Also received an AA nomination.

Personally, I've liked Smith since I watched him on Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. That's more than 15 years, and I haven't been all that disappointed so far. He's one of the few actors in Hollywood these days where I am sure to be at least entertained if he's in the movie. In many ways, he's similar to Jim Carrey (as has been mentioned before), who tends to play the same character in all of his comedies, but put Carrey in a drama and he becomes a completely different actor. Smith is like that as well.

As for the movie, I'm definitely looking forward to it. It's one of the few movies I've wanted to see this year. And everything I've heard says it's supposed to follow the book a lot more closely than the other adaptations have. It even has the right title. So already it scores some points with me.
            "May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Susan Ivanova

"The universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements. Energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest. " - Citizen G'Kar

"I will see you again, in the place where no shadows fall." - Delenn

Comment

Originally posted by Orion's Star View Post
              As for the movie, I'm definitely looking forward to it. It's one of the few movies I've wanted to see this year. And everything I've heard says it's supposed to follow the book a lot more closely than the other adaptations have. It even has the right title. So already it scores some points with me.
              I picked up the book a few days ago, and am just about done reading it. I'm enjoying it thus far, but think they definitely had to of added a bit more action to the movie. I look forward to seeing what they changed.
              sigpic
              "...phu...ah..."

Comment

After seeing a longer trailer for this movie tonight, I am really intrigued by it. Seems to have that great sense of dark eeriness about it, should be interesting.

Also I typically enjoy Smith's work and I have no problems about him playing this part. Yea in many of his films he has that usual "Will Smith 'Aw Hell No'" kind of character, but he does do that role well, and as mentioned above, he has branched out beyond that one action character. Plus he's one of the few class acts left in Hollywood, seems to have a happy family, does a good job with movies and is not your typical rapper personality although he is certainly talented in that genre, so I respect him for that.
                "Did you really expect some utopian fantasy to rise from the ashes?" - Tom Zarek

Comment

if it's like the book
                  Spoiler:
                  Robert Neville (will smith) is gonna die via suicide
                  Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                  sigpic

Comment

IMHO the Will Smith of the last 10 years is a horrible actor, he is not believable in anything he has made in awhile. It doesn't bother me in the least that it's a black actor playing the role that Charleton Heston made famous in the 1970's Omega Man. I would much rather have seen Danzel Washington or even Samuel L Jackson play the part.

For those who aren't aware - I Am Legend was originally supposed to star Arnold Schwarzengger as the main character. He invested into the rights of the Omega Man movie and the book I Am Legend back in 1997, but never found the right time to re-make it. So it was shelved it until last year when Warner brothers decided to go ahead with the project while Arnold settled for a producer credit.

I also recommend for anyone that has never seen the 1970's movie The Omega Man to rent or buy the DVD. What an interesting, entertaining and eerie flick!
                    Last edited by Starbase; 02 December 2007, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadail View Post
                      if it's like the book
                      Spoiler:
                      Robert Neville (will smith) is gonna die via suicide
                      That's one of the main things I really wonder if they'll change.
                      sigpic
                      "...phu...ah..."

Comment

i saw the movie last night and it wasnt that good and didnt live up to my expectations a couple of ppl there seemed to be adisappointed in it also. will smith was good in at least. the ending from the book was changed. there were a couple of plotholes in the movie. and the "mutated" were too much like the zombies from 28 days later. they didn't go into depth about the mutated community or their interactions with each other. there is another major plothole dealing with the ending that really goes against what the book is supposed to be about. will smith was good in it at least. overll the movie was just "ok" or so so

Comment

Hopefully I'll get to see it this weekend.
                          sigpic
                          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Well I saw it tonight. Here's some thoughts and major spoilers while the movie is still fresh. Beware major spoilers.

Spoiler:
                            The beginning started out okay. I knew before hand there were going to be some zombies involved. *shakes fist @ dam spoiler commercials* The current story was added to by the backstory, flashed back to at decent intervals and with good timing, showing how the world got into it's present state. This worked great for me because I never read the book, and I heard some elements were changed around for the movie, what a surprise.

The first encounter with the zombie people was awesome. Everyone knew what was coming but I clearly saw a handful of people do a little jump in their seats when the action started. I got quite attached to Sam, Will Smith's dog and only companion. The zombies are less like zombies and are like vampires, hate UV light but are described as rabid-like in the movie. This is clearly not the case since they seem to have a social structure (a leader) and are rational thinkers. (they catch will smith in a snare)

I got the impression that the girl Smith catches in a trap is probably the leader's mate because he does a lot to find the guy who caught her, maybe a revenge thing, I can't be sure. That brings me to the second encounter. I leader sics 3 infected dogs on Smith and Sam. This part was a little less believable. In the dark the zombies look fine, but put them out in the open and the look pretty unscary and really CG. All the infected animals in the movie were highly aggressive and these dogs seemed obedient to their zombie master.

The last encounter left me divided. The zombies ( I hate calling them that because they are definitely part zombie and part vampire.... Zampires?) demonstrate that they can track someone down and invade their home, some covertly and not all trying to get in the front door. Then when the cure is right in front of them they can't understand will smith and keep banging their heads on the wall like idiots trying to get in. I can't accept that they go from being somewhat intelligent (don't tell me anyone can turn a taxi into a snare trap and lure him with the mannequin in the orange hoody) to what I saw in the final encounter, I don't buy it.

Also while the house had defences it still seemed a bit too easily overrun. For a LT. Colonel I would have expected something more then the cars blowing and and UV lamps you can knock over. There was no internal security measures, not even a big UV light in the lab, where he kept live infected specimens for study. I didn't think he had to die the way he did just to make the point of the movie.

The God tie in was interesting, I'm assuming the lady was christian being from South America. Smith's degeneration and isolation were very convincing and funny in parts, he definitely played his part well.

I know come across as too picky but I did have a good time and a good scare along with lots of other people in the theater. If not for the poor CGI it might have scared the pants off of me, pity they had to go that route.

Comment

I AM LEGEND / OMEGA MAN (Books)

They are not zombie!!
                              They are vampires... even if they dont look like vampire in the movie, they are still consider or classified as vampire, even the production called them vampire.
                              Why do people call them zombies? There not dead.

Comment

True, they were never called Zombies, this is not a film by which Horror fans can measure it by the high bar that movies like Nigh of the dead and all those spin off's, not even 28 days weeks years people or the undead or what ever the heck it's into now can be included in this nieche'

It's explicitly Vampires, the books had Vamps and the book that was of the same name as the film hammers into stone that the vampires do not come out during the day by the scenes or chapters where he sneaks into homes and so on and steaks them while they rest.

Of course the book was more explicit in more ways than one, i feel the movie will be a slight set back from the book but i will watch it to see, it looks good and pacy, although having read the book I dont think it will have scenes of Vampirised women neighbours flashing their genitalis at him through the slats in the wooden baricades when he looks outside at night, of course, i would expcect that to be kindly omitted lol!

The book was darker, his next door neighbour was the kinda villan and it was more to the imagination, I just hope this film can keep that suspense and fear?
                                sigpic
                                In brightest day, in darkest night,

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power...Green Rep-Points light!

Comment

Working...
                                X