No announcement yet.

Lexx Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really enjoyed Farscape and after reading this thread Lexx sounds somewhat similar in terms of weirdness. Anyone who's watched both let me know if I'm completely off, as I'd be interested in checking out this series.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
      He is a creepy looking fellow, isn't he?
      He is very good at being an evil scientist, I've learned. Also his reincarnation on Fire in Season 3 was incredibly executed.
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
        I really enjoyed Farscape and after reading this thread Lexx sounds somewhat similar in terms of weirdness. Anyone who's watched both let me know if I'm completely off, as I'd be interested in checking out this series.
        They share a few commonalities, but they're quite different. I love both.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I really didn’t like Farscape when Lexx was on TV and refused to watch it. I felt like Farcape ripped off Lexx. Similar things: Escaped prisoners on a living ship… But Lexx was much cooler with dark and twisted tales. No muppets involved. I agree that the Mandrid drones where like replicators. Way beyond SG-1...

Seeing Mandrid in S3 and some other villains was interesting.

Years ago I called my pet rat Dieter. It’s the first name of the actor who played Mandrid.
          Last edited by geekywraith; 29 April 2010, 05:33 PM.
          Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.
          Nina: Everything else was taken.

Comment

I really think that "The Web" and "The Net" is the strangest two-part episode I've ever watched. I'm not sure it totally worked in execution, but it was a bold attempt at trying something different.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I watched Lexx some time back. I couldn't finish it, tho' (I actually felt I was 'forcing' myself to finish season 3, and I didn't get far into season 4). The first 2 seasons were quite good, IMHO. "Brigadoom" is my favourite episode.

I saw Lexx before Farscape, and I definitely liked the latter more. Lexx is...'weirder'. Example: I mean, sure, Moya's crew left a fair amount of bodies behind, but not like Lexx...what was it, for a time, one populated world destroyed per episode?
              I wouldn't really want to compare Farscape w/ Lexx, despite some similarities.
              Lexx is just so...'far out'? While Farscape is a tad more 'believable'. (esp. in terms of scope/scale)
              That and each of those shows had a different focus (FS: had John/Aeryn, Lexx: the crew's needs, I think...did it go beyond that? I don't really remember). Oh, and the production values were, I think, worlds apart (w/ Farscape looking so much better).

Still, I'd at least recommend the first 2 seasons of Lexx (heh, had Habermann stayed, I might have managed to finish all 4 seasons...I didn't really like Xev ).
              "Brigadoom" is just awesome and has to be seen.
              (that's what Farscape, I say, has lacking: a MUSICAL EPISODE...oh, and a sci-fi 'theme song', something both Lexx and Firefly have that Farscape doesn't. )
              sigpic

Comment

“The Web” and “The Net” were very similar episodes but with tiny changes and new scenes. The episode “The Net” is from the creature’s perspective. It was strange because at the time it almost felt like a repeat episode but not exactly the same. I agree that it didn’t work properly. I do remember reading on some forum during that time that some networks (like sci-fi) didn’t bother to air pt 2 “The Net”. But in Canada on the Space channel Lexx was a big show and they showed it.

Season 3 of Lexx wasn’t my favorite season. I never felt like I was forcing myself to watch the show since I liked it and still do. Season 4 was really odd. Each season of Lexx is very different. My favorite seasons are season 1 and season 2. Season 3 and 4 had good episodes.

It's true that each time the Lexx visited a planet the mandrid drones followed and destroy it in season 2. Very bad things tend to happen when the crew of the Lexx is around. But with S3 and S4 it was different.

Yes Lexx and Farscape are very different shows if you over look the living ship and the escaped prisoners. I preferred Lexx over Farscape even if I like that show. The Lexx’s crew needs where funny and caused them to get into all kinds of trouble. Lexx at the time had over 90% green screen environments. Farscape perhaps had more money and better real sets to make it look nicer.

Eva Habermann wasn’t available when Lexx got a second season. She only appeared for two ep’s. I too liked her more but I got used to her reincarnation as Xev.

Season 1 and 2 are very good.
                Season 3 and Season 4 are not for everyone’s taste but still interesting.

Brigadoom was a good ep. We got to see Kai’s background and story. Usually I really dislike musical ep’s but this is was an acception. In one of the movies (Season 1) "Supernova" had a musical moment where Zev has a fantasy dream about Kai coming back to life. I remember the lyrics by heart because I have the mp3 of the song. Kai dancing in a pink outfit, dancing and singing with the lovely Zev was memorable.

A Farcape musical ep? That would have been interesting. *pictures* Stark singing “my side your side” over and over again in a sing song.
                Crowley: ‘Give Me Coffee or Give Me Death.’ It’s a funny name for a coffee shop.

Comment

I loved seasons 2 and 3. The Fire and Water arc was just so cool IMO.

Comment

Season 3 was good but very different from Season 1 and 2. It was slow paced with the arc. Prince becoming almost a main character was a big difference. It was an interesting concept Fire and Water. (hell and heaven). Of course previous Lexx bad people were on Fire like Mandrid who didn't know who he was until he was reminded of it in the episode K-Town by Stanley, Xev and the damaged "out of alignment" Kai... Kai then killed Mandrid...

Comment

I gotta say, the interaction between Kai and the seasons' antagonists were always so interesting to me. Especially since, as the most educated member of Lexx's ragtag crew, he knows how to trap him enemies. I did enjoy how Prince was always so genuinely friendly with Kai because he was such an enigma in the concept of Fire and Water.
                      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                      Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
                        Want to see what Mantrid is up to these days?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hLAf...eature=related

WARNING: Must be over 18 to view. Pretty disturbing stuff, but if you've seen Lexx then you're well enough prepared anyway.
                        Thanks to the prompting of this post, I watched The Human Centipede the other day. Besides being disturbing, it actually just wasn't very entertaining. When it wasn't being disturbing (straight-up disturbing, not fun-disturbing like say Friday the 13th), it was just flat-out boring. Really crappy movie.

Comment

Kai

I have killed...

Season One
                          I Worship His Shadow:
                          "I have killed mothers with their babies. I have killed great philosophers, proud
                          young warriors, and revolutionaries. I have killed the evil, the good, the intelligent,
                          the weak, and the beautiful. I have done this in the service of His Divine Shadow
                          and His Predecessors, and I have never once shown any mercy."

Season Two
                          Wake the Dead:
                          "I have killed mothers with their babies. I have killed great philosophers, proud
                          young warriors and revolutionaries. I have killed the good, the evil, the intelligent,
                          the weak, and the beautiful. I have done this in the service of His Divine Shadow
                          and His Predecessors, and apparently, the fun never stops!"

Season Three
                          Tunnels:
                          “I have killed mothers with their babies, I have killed great philosophers and proud
                          young warriors, I have killed the evil and the good, the intelligent, the weak, and
                          the beautiful. But it’s been a while since I slaughtered a whole room full of petty
                          bureaucrats.”

Season Four
                          Moss:
                          “I have killed mothers, I have killed proud young mothers, old, good old mothers,
                          evil mothers."

Viva Lexx Vegas:
                          "I have killed mothers with their babies, I have killed proud young warriors
                          and revolutionaries. I have killed the pedantic, the pseudointellectual, and on one
                          occasion, a very self-important philosopher poet.”

Comment

Just saw Episode 1 of season 1, WTH weird cheezy show.

Does it get any better?
                            Favorite Characters:
                            Babylon 5: Londo Mollari, G'Kar
                            Farscape: Rygel, Zhaan
                            SG1: Jack O'Neill
                            SG-A: Rodney McKay

Favorite Shows In Order:
                            Stargate SG-1 | DS9 | Babylon 5 | Farscape | ST:VOY | Firefly |Stargate Universe | Stargate Atlantis | BSG

Comment

Originally posted by geekywraith View Post
                              Season Three
                              Tunnels:
                              “I have killed mothers with their babies, I have killed great philosophers and proud
                              young warriors, I have killed the evil and the good, the intelligent, the weak, and
                              the beautiful. But it’s been a while since I slaughtered a whole room full of petty
                              bureaucrats.”
                              I just watched that the other day. I howled

Comment

Originally posted by BayGateScape View Post
                                Just saw Episode 1 of season 1, WTH weird cheezy show.

Does it get any better?
                                Every season brings something new to the table.

Season 1 was several grand adventures of varying quality, with a lot of hilariously dark and sadistic humour.

Season 2 was more episodic with a lot of strange sci-fi encounters, all with a slowly building arc that pays off at the end of the season.

Season 3 is exclusively arc-based and centres on two planets in particular.

Season 4 is really freaking bizzare and basically a huge mockery of all things (itself included).

My favourite is a tossup between 2 and 3.

Comment

Working...
                                X