Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cloverfield (spoilers, speculation, clue hunting)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmmm

Spoiler:

seems the viral marketing point to the monster being a sea creature

Slusho gets its secret ingredient from the bottom of the ocean the Slusho site itself hints that this secret ingredient being able to make things grow or expand(which could possible explain why Marlene exploded when she was bitten by the parasite... if the two are indeed related somehow)

a few months before the movie takes place an oil tanker(which funnily enough is owned by the same company that owns Slusho) was destroyed somehow and that there was possible an oil spill from it however...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KarNwKx5mGY

I dont remember Oil Spills being able to Roar and spit giant chunks of debris 100's of feet into the air

also that weird picture site... it had a picture of a bunch of dead whales with giant bite Marks in them as well as the Military attacking something at sea

the thing that fell into the ocean near the end of the movie could not have been the monster as the falling object was a month before the movie starts and the attack on the Oil rig(according to the date in the news cast) happened in November and one of the viral sites states it was a satilite...

and the creature it self seemed to not be used to walking on Land... at least to me it didnt

though why would it attack NY? is it possible that the fallen satilite drew the monster here?
    Last edited by kharn the betrayer; 19 January 2008, 11:43 AM.

Comment

I saw it. I wasn't that impressed and it felt like it dragged on too long (and it was only a 1 and a half hour movie). The documentary idea was kinda cool but after a while the shaky camera was bugging me.
      Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
      Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
      Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
      --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

I wanted to see a monster movie, and it delivered. No, all the questions are not answered, and the shaky camera was odd, but I just went with it, and it didn't bother me. It was worth the price of admission. Looking forward to getting the DVD where I can go frame by frame and see what I missed!

Comment

The movie was great and I just hope that the sequel (if they make one) is able to live up to the first, and that it answers questions that the first one didn't answer.

Comment

Overall, I enjoyed this film. Didn't get all the answers, but I suppose I didn't really expect to. I thought it really ended well.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by kharn the betrayer View Post
              hmmm

Spoiler:

seems the viral marketing point to the monster being a sea creature

Slusho gets its secret ingredient from the bottom of the ocean the Slusho site itself hints that this secret ingredient being able to make things grow or expand(which could possible explain why Marlene exploded when she was bitten by the parasite... if the two are indeed related somehow)

a few months before the movie takes place an oil tanker(which funnily enough is owned by the same company that owns Slusho) was destroyed somehow and that there was possible an oil spill from it however...
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KarNwKx5mGY

I dont remember Oil Spills being able to Roar and spit giant chunks of debris 100's of feet into the air

also that weird picture site... it had a picture of a bunch of dead whales with giant bite Marks in them as well as the Military attacking something at sea

the thing that fell into the ocean near the end of the movie could not have been the monster as the falling object was a month before the movie starts and the attack on the Oil rig(according to the date in the news cast) happened in November and one of the viral sites states it was a satilite...

and the creature it self seemed to not be used to walking on Land... at least to me it didnt

though why would it attack NY? is it possible that the fallen satilite drew the monster here?
              You know the funniest thing about that Youtube clip is the people either asking if it's real, or calling it fake.
              All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by jds1982 View Post
                You know the funniest thing about that Youtube clip is the people either asking if it's real, or calling it fake.
                well its youtube... it kinda breeds idiocy...(like the people Iv seen say it was a chick flick because it had romance in it...I went with a girl and she laughed when I told her that)

Im so glad I had a decent audience when I went to see the movie the last few movies iv seen have been ruined by Jerks who dont know how to keep their mouths shut

oh and I hope they put all this viral marketing stuff on the DVD for people who wasnt into the hype (I only started looking at the viral stuff after I saw the movie but my freind hasnt seen any and was wondering about the monsters origins...)
                Last edited by kharn the betrayer; 19 January 2008, 09:32 PM.

Comment

I really liked this movie, but I love a good monster-on-the-loose story. When you start think of the logistics of lining up the frames for the shots done by the director and camera crew, it had to be a nightmare. How much do you show the audience? What do you frame? How long to you hold the shot? When to you cut and run? How much blurring to you do before the audience reaches for Excedrin? It took a lot of work to get those shaky shots and I give kudos for the folks who worked on this movie.

I felt sorry for the actor who played Hud (the camera dude). We rarely saw him, and you know he had to do his lines in a studio later because the camera was actually held by a professional cameraguy during filming! I actually liked all the actors. For a bunch of no-names, they all did a pretty good job.

Not enough answers? I would have liked more, but I did get enough explanation, with things left open for the imagination, or for a second film.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

am I the only one who noticed Hud's name is a Pun of the Term H.U.D (heads up Display)

Comment

That's the first thing that came to my mind when I heard his name.
                      Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                      Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                      Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                      --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Spoiler:
                        Saw this last night and loved it. I wished they would have kept Marlena around a bit longer, I happened to like her (she and Hud got the coolest deaths, I'd say.

I felt sorry for the actor who played Hud (the camera dude). We rarely saw him, and you know he had to do his lines in a studio later because the camera was actually held by a professional cameraguy during filming! I actually liked all the actors. For a bunch of no-names, they all did a pretty good job.
                        Actually, in an interview I saw, TJ Miller (guy who plays Hud) said that he was actually filming all of the scenes that didn't involve special effects (early parts of the subway, Beth's building, etc.). Of coruse, there was a crapload of special effects, but in the end he says he filmed about 1/3 of the movie total.
                        Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                        Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                        Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                        Stargate Destiny, Fan
                        Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Well I HATE over hype.... I HATE viral marketing.... Who was the dumbass
                          that invented that?

I don't like stupid games...

I saw the movie and well, wasn't all that impressed. I just couldn't believ
                          all the hype over christmas about this and as a rule of thumb for me "if a
                          movie has more hype then factual sites and trailers, more then not it is
                          going to be a somewhat average affair."

Lo and behold I found a pretty average affair. The shakey cam was a
                          silly idea and could have been used more sparingly.

Quote from a news website
                          Spoiler:

Quote:
                          Building a Better Monster

The visual effects for “Cloverfield” were produced under the direction of visual effects supervisors Kevin Blank, Eric Leven of Tippett Studio and Michael Ellis of London-based Double Negative. Tippett created all the shots that include the monsters, while Double Negative was responsible for all of the other destruction and sequences which did not include the monster.

The concept for the monster (affectionately known simply as “Clover” in-house) is simple, says Abrams. “He’s a baby. He’s brand-new. He’s confused, disoriented and irritable. And he’s been down there in the water for thousands and thousands of years.”

And where is he from? “We don’t say – deliberately,” notes Goddard. “Our movie doesn’t have the scientist in the white lab coat who shows up and explains things like that. We don’t have that scene.”

Not only is the creature disoriented – he’s downright angry. “There are a bunch of smaller things – humans – that are annoying him and shooting at him like a swarm of bees,” observes Reeves. “None of these things are going to kill the monster, but they hurt it and it doesn’t understand. It’s this new environment that it finds frightening.”

For the monster’s design, Abrams engaged veteran creature designer Neville Page, who had just finished creating characters for James Cameron’s upcoming “Avatar” (and is currently working on Abrams’ “Star Trek”).

“So much has been done in so many different movies with large creatures that the trick was to find a way to create a unique character,” explains Abrams. The producer had first become familiar with Page’s work through the designer’s series of instructional DVDs for The Gnoman Workshop. “One of the things that struck me about Neville’s instructional videos was the way he approaches everything from a realistic point of view. He develops non-existing creatures, but can explain to you their physical makeup, musculature and skeletal structure.”

Adds producer Burk, “Neville was the first person we met with. And he’s amazing. He doesn’t just think about designing the creature, he thinks in terms of how it would walk, how it would breathe, what its skin would be like, how it lives – everything.”

Once Page’s designs were complete, it was up to Tippett Studio to implement and refine the monster for inclusion in the few – but crucial – shots in which he appears. “We did a test, where we inserted him into some background plate shot in downtown L.A.,” explains Leven. “We experimented with different looks, in terms of not only the creature itself, but how it would interact with the camera and with light.”

Another facet of the design was added at director Reeves’ suggestion. “I wanted him to have that sort of spooked feeling, the way, when a horse is spooked, you can see the white of its eyes along the bottom. And you see that when the military is firing on him, where he becomes completely agitated and confused.”

As part of a “post-birth ritual,” as Abrams describes it, the monster is seen early on scratching his back on a building (destroying it in the process), to remove a layer of parasites that are set loose to wreak their own havoc on the city.

“Drew and I were struggling with, ‘When you have a monster that size how do you keep the characters from seeming totally irrelevant?’” says Abrams. “How do you have any one-on-one struggle?” Explains Goddard, “Because he’s so big, we knew it was going to be difficult to have intimate sequences. It’s not like any of the characters could fight him or that anyone could even figure out a way to hurt him.”

And because of that, the idea of the parasites was born. “They’re these horrifying, dog-sized creatures that just scatter around the city and add to the nightmare of the evening,” Abrams says.

“The parasites have a voracious, rabid, bounding nature, but they also have a crab-like crawl,” Reeves explains. “They have the viciousness of a dog, but with the ability to climb walls and stick to things.”

In addition, the parasites also move more rapidly than their giant host counterpart. “Tippett Studio has a lot of expertise with these kinds of fast-moving creatures that can destroy people and rip them to shreds, which is always a lot of fun to work on,” says Leven. “They’re like little whirling dervishes that just destroy anything in their path. They’re totally deadly.”

http://enewsi.com/news.php?catid=190&itemid=12419

Spoiler:

This intrigued me. A baby??????/ What the frick is the adult like
                          then?

And what was that big cylinder thing falling into the water in the final
                          video when we see them back at Coney Island on the video?

I wish I could get a refund for seeing a movie I ended up not liking.
                          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
                            That's the first thing that came to my mind when I heard his name.
                            yay im not the only one

I also found it funny how out of the main characters

Rob was the only one who Robbed the store >_>

Comment

Ran across this interview with the director - gives a few new tidbits:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41100

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I loved this movie. I went and saw it with my brothers, my dad, and my brother's girlfriend on Friday. It was ace! . My father hated it because of the camera. I thought that was excellent, a wonderful way of getting the idea that this movie is through the eyes of the victims, not the heroes. I enjoyed the deaths. I enjoyed Marlena's the most. More or less because I really couldn't tell what happened. I loved the end...

Spoiler:
                                Help us. It's Still alive)

That was chilling

I over all enjoyed the intensity, the action, and the bravery of the people. I personally would have just sat at home waiting to die. Anyway it was worth the money.. I only wish I had paid more attention to the last clip. apparently something fell into the water, I missed it..

Comment

Working...
                                X