Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gatefan1976 View Post
    If you like Arthurian stuff, try the Fionavar tapesty by Guy Gavriel Kay or The mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradly. Also Mary Stewart did a great series about Merlin (Crystal cave, hollow hills, last enchantment and the wicked day) if you like him more than Arthur.
    The Mists of Avalon is pretty good. I like The Forest House and The Lady of Avalon(prequels to The Mists of Avalon) better for some reason. Mary Stewart's series is pretty good. So is Irene Radford's Merlin's Descendants series, her Dragon Nimbus series isn't bad either.
    sigpic

Comment

If you like Arthurian stuff, try the Fionavar tapesty by Guy Gavriel Kay or The mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradly. Also Mary Stewart did a great series about Merlin (Crystal cave, hollow hills, last enchantment and the wicked day) if you like him more than Arthur.
      I loved the Mary Stewart books, and read them when I was a teenager. I liked the way she handled the Dark Ages in Britain, and how Merlin was linked to the invading Roman army. Good stuff, and historically as accurate as they could be given that we know very little about the time when the Romans decided to bugger off back to Italy still.

Anyone here old enough to have read Anya Seyton 'A Green Darkness' and any Taylor Caldwell?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
        I've read The Witching Hour, but thats about it of her other work. That was ok. Servant of the Bones is kinda different, and I like it so far. I'm not a huge Anne Rice fan to begin with so I haven't read a lot of her other work. I've seen the movies though. I tend not to read books that also have movies to them.(unless I've read the book before the movie was ever though of) Thats one on the reasons I've never read Stephen King. I know the books and the movies are usually different though. I'm also not a fan of Stephen King's writing style.
        SK is pretty hit and miss insofar as people either tend to like or hate his work Personally I think his writing has gone downhill of late (actually since his accident it's gone fairly downhill, the last few books of the dark tower series were pretty ordinary IMO)
        Have you watched the SK movies at all?
        sigpic
        ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
        A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
        The truth isn't the truth

Comment

Originally posted by Isolde View Post
          I loved the Mary Stewart books, and read them when I was a teenager. I liked the way she handled the Dark Ages in Britain, and how Merlin was linked to the invading Roman army. Good stuff, and historically as accurate as they could be given that we know very little about the time when the Romans decided to bugger off back to Italy still.

Anyone here old enough to have read Anya Seyton 'A Green Darkness' and any Taylor Caldwell?
          Re, Mary Stewart. Yeah, I think I was 12 when I read them.
          As to the other books, I probably am old enough to have read them, but they aren't ringing any bells for me.
          sigpic
          ALL THANKS TO THE WONDERFUL CREATOR OF THIS SIG GO TO R.I.G.
          A lie is just a truth that hasn't gone through conversion therapy yet
          The truth isn't the truth

Comment

SK is pretty hit and miss insofar as people either tend to like or hate his work Personally I think his writing has gone downhill of late (actually since his accident it's gone fairly downhill, the last few books of the dark tower series were pretty ordinary IMO)
            Have you watched the SK movies at all?
            I've watched It, The Stand, Cujo, Pet Semetary, Rose Red, The Shining, Secret Window, 1408, The Mist. There were others but thats all I can remember right now. Most I've watched on network or basic cable TV when I was younger, they were ok from what I remember. I have The Shining, Secret Window, 1408, and The Mist on dvd. I liked The Shining(the Stanley Kubrick version, not the miniseries), and Secret Window(though that was a bit messed up, but still good. I love Johnny Depp so that may have influenced my like of it a bit) 1408 was ok. I hated The Mist, mostly for the ending; that basically ruined the whole movie for me, so that I havent been able to bring myself watch it again. The ending was really messed up IMO. I haven't read any of the books or short stories any of the movies were based on so I can't compare them.

I tried to read The Dark Tower series once but I didn't like his writing style; but that was a really long time ago so I don't know; sometimes I change my mind about books or movies with time and depending on my mood.
            sigpic

Comment

I am plodding thru a supposed classic Sci fi Author's book
              It's called Rogue Moon, by Algis Budrys.
              Got it at a used book sotre.
              I'm determined to finish it if it kills me, and it might.
              *bangs head on keyboard again*
              no means no, and so does pepper spray
              Sig by The Carpenter
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
                I am plodding thru a supposed classic Sci fi Author's book
                It's called Rogue Moon, by Algis Budrys.
                Got it at a used book sotre.
                I'm determined to finish it if it kills me, and it might.
                *bangs head on keyboard again*
                LOL, that bad is it
                sigpic

Comment

LOL, that bad is it
                  Very disjointed.
                  Sig by The Carpenter
                  sigpic

Comment

I hate books like that, it makes them hard to read and enjoy reading them if things don't flow well.
                    sigpic

Comment

I really want to see what happens on the moon side of the story, but the other side of the story makes no sense, and that's more the focus. It's ramblings really.
                      Sig by The Carpenter
                      sigpic

Comment

Yea, I've read books where all I'm intrested in is a character or story line because the rest of the book is boring or annoying to read. I usually end up skipping those parts and and just reading the parts I like and only going back if I feel I missed some thing vital to the story. It's funny because most of the time with books like that I usually don't feel the need to go back.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yea, I've read books where all I'm intrested in is a character or story line because the rest of the book is boring or annoying to read. I usually end up skipping those parts and and just reading the parts I like and only going back if I feel I missed some thing vital to the story. It's funny because most of the time with books like that I usually don't feel the need to go back.
                          Yes, I have started to skim the boring parts now.
                          Sig by The Carpenter
                          sigpic

Comment

I did that with Twilight.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                              I did that with Twilight.
                              LOL I skimmed Twilight at the bookstore just to see what all the fuss was about. I tried to actually read it but I absolutly hated the authors writing style not to mention Bella as a character in general.
                              I also skimmed every book in the Star Wars Legacy of the Force series after the second one. I couldn't bring myself to really read the rest of the series, but I wanted to know what was happening with some characters; so I bought them and skimmed through them until the(imo) lame end.
                              sigpic

Comment

LOL I skimmed Twilight at the bookstore just to see what all the fuss was about. I tried to actually read it but I absolutly hated the authors writing style not to mention Bella as a character in general.
                                I also skimmed every book in the Star Wars Legacy of the Force series after the second one. I couldn't bring myself to really read the rest of the series, but I wanted to know what was happening with some characters; so I bought them and skimmed through them until the(imo) lame end.
                                I kept hoping Bella would die.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X