Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Version

And an interview with the designer Here...

Like you, I don't think I am nearly talented enough to be placed with Joyce (I'm flattered, believe me) but it sure does stroke the old ego and give a decent buffing. Apart from that, it made me laugh, but I still have a similar tone, apparently, to King, even using the new analyser.
    sigpic

Comment

The new analyser says I write like Edgar Allan Poe's.
      I fadely heard of Joyce work, but I have never even his, an apparently he wrote romantic poetry, an I guest the friction between my to main characters could be consider romantic, although they are just two random people abducted from earth. But the above bloke must wrote some bad romantic poems.

Reading more about what he written, I writing probably matches more closely than I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
        I fadely heard of Joyce work, but I have never even his, an apparently he wrote romantic poetry, an I guest the friction between my to main characters could be consider romantic, although they are just two random people abducted from earth. But the above bloke must wrote some bad romantic poems.

Reading more about what he written, I writing probably matches more closely than I thought.
        With the new analyzer.
        Mary Shelley where i got Douglas Adams before
        William Foster Wallace remained the same
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post

Regarding Edgar Allen Poe; he wrote a lot of dark romantic poetry about lost loves and such. The Raven is one of his most famous.
          He also wrote a lot of dark poems and short stories as well.
          sigpic

Comment

I managed to find book 4 of the WOT series in storage today. I also found 5, 6, & 7! Don't think I have anything past 7.
            sigpic

Comment

Congrats, now go read em. I'm trying to find a compelling, intellectual, maybe philosophical work, any suggestions? I don't mean intellectual in the regards of the author's own accumulated knowledge of this and that crap, but more along the lines of compellment in terms of scope or mind blowing.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                Congrats, now go read em. I'm trying to find a compelling, intellectual, maybe philosophical work, any suggestions? I don't mean intellectual in the regards of the author's own accumulated knowledge of this and that crap, but more along the lines of compellment in terms of scope or mind blowing.
                I don't know if it would be your thing or if its what you mean by compelling. Have you ever read anything by Melanie Rawn? She wrote the Dragon Prince and Dragon Star trilogies. She also wrote the Exiles books(the third book has taken forever to come out if itll ever come out, but the first 2 books are great) Its a fantasy and its got some romance but there are a lot of grey characters and issues. I love books where nothing is black and white. Some of the books are quite lengthy too. The first Exiles book( The Ruins of Ambrai) was the first adult fantasy book i'd ever read and it started my obsession on the whole fantasy genre.
                sigpic

Comment

Tad Williams Otherland books are pretty good too.
                  sigpic

Comment

Has anyone read "Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer"?
                    no means no, and so does pepper spray
                    Sig by The Carpenter
                    sigpic

Comment

Wicked was a total sneak attack of philosophy. You could always read Decartes or Berkeley.
                      sigpic

Comment

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. If you really pay attention, he packs A LOT of stuff into pretty much every single line in that book. It might not come off as very "philosophical" initially, but there's a huge load of symbolism in every scene, especially having to do with age and wisdom and temptation and death and all that sort of thing. I took forever to read it b/c I spent way too much time trying to contemplate the multiple meanings behind practically every line of that book. But it's not really that hard to read. It was quite awesome. I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that they made a Disney movie out of it. It was way too creepy.

in other news...

I found out that Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book is getting a movie adaptation, due out next year
                        "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                        sigpic
                        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
                          Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. If you really pay attention, he packs A LOT of stuff into pretty much every single line in that book. It might not come off as very "philosophical" initially, but there's a huge load of symbolism in every scene, especially having to do with age and wisdom and temptation and death and all that sort of thing. I took forever to read it b/c I spent way too much time trying to contemplate the multiple meanings behind practically every line of that book. But it's not really that hard to read. It was quite awesome. I still can't wrap my mind around the fact that they made a Disney movie out of it. It was way too creepy.

in other news...

I found out that Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book is getting a movie adaptation, due out next year
                          Yay, I wanna see a The Graveyard Book movie. Can't wait to see what they did with it. Do you know who's supposed to direct?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                            Wicked was a total sneak attack of philosophy. You could always read Decartes or Berkeley.
                            Wicked by Gregory Maguire? I have that and Mirror Mirror by him. But have only read Wicked so far, which was really good.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
                              Yay, I wanna see a The Graveyard Book movie. Can't wait to see what they did with it. Do you know who's supposed to direct?
                              Neil Jordan. Apparently...

It's kinda odd, b/c in January of this year, Gaiman said that the project had apparently tanked financially, but then I found articles from May of this year that made it sound like the project is apparently back on and that Gaiman is writing the screenplay.

I'm seriously confused now.
                              "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                              sigpic
                              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I'm on a Robert A. Heinlein binge. I don't agree with most of his politics, but he sure can spin a great yarn!

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, Between Planets, Farmer in the Sky
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X