Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

David Brin and The Uplift series. I love, love, love, these books. And Peter F Hamilton and his Confederation Universe series.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Valika View Post
      My all-time favourites are Isaac Asimov's and Ray Bradbury's books.

Besides them I really love "When the Sun Dies" by Oriana Fallacci. It's not sci-fi or fantasy, but still, it is about the astronauts, the space flight in the 60's.
      I LOVE BRADBURY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

Anyway, I finally decided to start reading A Gathering of Gargoyles. The beginning is kinda sad
      "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
      sigpic
      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Edge Chronicles is a good series of books.

Comment

i got side tracked by Naamah's Kiss by Jaqueline Carey. Really enjoyed it.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
            i got side tracked by Naamah's Kiss by Jaqueline Carey. Really enjoyed it.
            That's the author of Kushiel's(sp) Dart right? I have that book and a few others in that series by her that I havent gotten around to reading. Anyone read them, are they good? I sometimes can't get into reading books written in first person.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VampyreWraith View Post
              That's the author of Kushiel's(sp) Dart right? I have that book and a few others in that series by her that I havent gotten around to reading. Anyone read them, are they good? I sometimes can't get into reading books written in first person.
              Yes she is. I've read the first trilogy and the one that focuses on Imriel and enjoyed them all.
              sigpic

Comment

Yes she is. I've read the first trilogy and the one that focuses on Imriel and enjoyed them all.
                Cool, I might try reading it again. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for certain things.
                I know you mentioned liking Anne Bishop a while back. Have you read the newer Black Jewels books (The Shadow Queen, & Shalador's Lady) or the Ephemera Books?
                sigpic

Comment

Cool, I might try reading it again. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for certain things.
                  I know you mentioned liking Anne Bishop a while back. Have you read the newer Black Jewels books (The Shadow Queen, & Shalador's Lady) or the Ephemera Books?
                  The original trilogy is the strongest of the Black Jewels books. But all of them are good. I've read the two Ephemera books twice now and I enjoyed them more the second time round than the first. I like the concept she uses for that world. The House of Gaian series is good too. Bishop does a nice job of creating worlds and populating them with interesting characters.
                  sigpic

Comment

The original trilogy is the strongest of the Black Jewels books. But all of them are good. I've read the two Ephemera books twice now and I enjoyed them more the second time round than the first. I like the concept she uses for that world. The House of Gaian series is good too. Bishop does a nice job of creating worlds and populating them with interesting characters.
                    Yeah, the original trilogy is the best, but the others were good. I really liked the Ephemera books. I think shes working on another one set in that world. I didn't like The House of Gaian series as much as the others, but they're also pretty good. Yes her characters are pretty cool. LOL i named my son after Daemon, I've always liked that name though.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, the original trilogy is the best, but the others were good. I really liked the Ephemera books. I think shes working on another one set in that world. I didn't like The House of Gaian series as much as the others, but they're also pretty good. Yes her characters are pretty cool. LOL i named my son after Daemon, I've always liked that name though.
                      You named your son after Daemon, oh dear. The Gaian series wasn't my favorite either.
                      sigpic

Comment

You named your son after Daemon, oh dear. The Gaian series wasn't my favorite either.
                        LOL, He's 10 now and oddly enough he's got a lot of little female friends that are always looking for him; but hes not interested in any of them; he does like this one girl though but hes afraid to talk to her lol.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Isolde View Post
                          I love his books, and I think you should read his thrillers f you want the pants scared off you. He has a nice way with horrific themes, as well as a sick and twisted imagination.

Btw, any fan writers on this thread might like to try this out:

Clicky...

Apparently, I write like Stephen King, with hints of Asimov, Joyce, Palahnuik, and Stoker. Not a shabby list, methinks.
                          Well apparently I write like James Joyce

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                            Well apparently I write like James Joyce
                            Fine writer. Ulysses, anyone?
                            sigpic

Comment

Excellent book
                              sigpic

Comment

Never read it my self, but readint the 4,000 words of my novel so far, in my opinion I have not included

careful structuring, and experimental prose—full of puns, parodies, and allusions, as well as its rich characterisations and broad humour
                                which, according to wikipedia makes up a central feature of his work. So I am not certain the test is all that accurate, but I like being compared to the novelist of the 20th centuary, with a novel rated number 1 of 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century. So I am not going to moan all that much an continue the delusion that I am really that talented.

Comment

Working...
                                X