Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Isolde View Post
    Can you write? Do you even know how to, or even begin to understand how to put together a plot or develop characterisation? Just general queries, you understand, not an attack on your literary ability.
    Of course I can't write. Just look at my posts on here and you tell me if I have any writing ability. However this in no way means I cannot critique things I've read, just like you don't need to be a movie director to give your opinion on whether a movie is good or bad.

Because you seem to be of the opinion that film is the definitive form of media, and unable to make any mistakes. It most certainly did not improve anything in this instance, and will cock up many books more.
    Huh? When did I ever say that?

I did, but most of the writers you prefer are not on my OMG!!!111!!!!1111 list.
    That's a shame.

Comment

Did you read Shogun by Clavell, Krichton?

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
        Of course I can't write. Just look at my posts on here and you tell me if I have any writing ability. However this in no way means I cannot critique things I've read, just like you don't need to be a movie director to give your opinion on whether a movie is good or bad.
        Your posts here give no indication of your literary ability, or skill with words. And I agree you don't need to be any of those things to provide opinion, though it does help if you're reasonably informed. *holds hands up* Not that I'm saying you are not (this demonstrates the imprecision of the written word to adequately convey meaning and/or emotional content particularly in direct conversation, as well as me having to write a double negative ), nor do I have an issue with you disliking LoTR or anything else. What I'm trying to get at, badly obviously, is what excites you, what has thrilled you, and why it has?

Huh? When did I ever say that?
        Just an impression you give in your posts i.e. hated reading, never did any because there was nothing worth watching etc and you were driven to it. Which is interesting, because I'll lay odds most of us found written fantasy (before there was a Star Wars, or anything on the TV apart from Dr. Who and Star Trek) first. The occasional film, classics such as The Day the Earth Stood Still, War of the Worlds, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the original and not the 70's remake, which I grant is a good film) and a few others existed to soothe our starving souls, but not a lot. Anyhoo, though I cannot be certain, overall it seems to be a bit of a chore to you... reading, that is.

That's a shame.
        Horses for courses and other such banal sayings.

Originally posted by jmoz
        Great book. The torture scene at the beginning... awesome.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm currently reading Meredith Ann Pierce's The Darkangel again--this time I am determined to finish it and move on to the other 2 books.
          "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
          sigpic
          Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Do people here consider Neil Gaiman fantasy?

@ Mimzy: Self-obsessed emo vamps, and pouting teenagers who need a decent slap are not a romance. I am ashamed to say I watched New Moon because Chris Heyerdahl was in it, and pretty much slipped into a coma. But I still think Rowling needed editing, and lost her way too damn much, and I can't forgive her for the overuse of the suffix 'ly'. That's lazy writing, and so are too many gerunds.
            Darn. I was planning on boycotting the movie, but have a bit of a crush for Heyerdahl
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate_muffin View Post
              well, I do I love Gaiman. I have two books signed by him--Coraline and The Graveyard Book
              "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
              sigpic
              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Dark fantasy, for sure, and I love the way he has with words.

Darn. I was planning on boycotting the movie, but have a bit of a crush for Heyerdahl
                *coughs* Yeah, well... He's only on screen for a very short time, and though Marcus is a bit of alright, the film is as banal as the books. Do yourself a favour and watch the clips on YouTube, cos that way you won't be tempted to gouge your eyes out.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                  Never. Does the book have something in common with the authors I've mentioned?

Your posts here give no indication of your literary ability, or skill with words. And I agree you don't need to be any of those things to provide opinion, though it does help if you're reasonably informed. *holds hands up* Not that I'm saying you are not (this demonstrates the imprecision of the written word to adequately convey meaning and/or emotional content particularly in direct conversation, as well as me having to write a double negative ), nor do I have an issue with you disliking LoTR or anything else. What I'm trying to get at, badly obviously, is what excites you, what has thrilled you, and why it has?
                  Well I have read a few hundred books at this point, so I do have some point of reference.

Just an impression you give in your posts i.e. hated reading, never did any because there was nothing worth watching etc and you were driven to it. Which is interesting, because I'll lay odds most of us found written fantasy (before there was a Star Wars, or anything on the TV apart from Dr. Who and Star Trek) first. The occasional film, classics such as The Day the Earth Stood Still, War of the Worlds, Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the original and not the 70's remake, which I grant is a good film) and a few others existed to soothe our starving souls, but not a lot. Anyhoo, though I cannot be certain, overall it seems to be a bit of a chore to you... reading, that is.
                  I really don't know where you are getting all this from. I have never even referenced film at all for you to even have an opinion on what I think of the medium.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoz View Post
                    Oo, good book, that one.
                    Great book. The torture scene at the beginning... awesome.
                    It was a really good read. Gruesome, but good
                    Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
                    well, I do I love Gaiman. I have two books signed by him--Coraline and The Graveyard Book
                    I'm currently reading Neverwhere. Certainly has a way with words, the underground city he created is incredible.
                    sigpic

Comment

I didn't read anything. I hated reading, but the lack of good scifi and fantasy on tv and films made me desperate.
                      Ah... dredging the thread allowed me to find this. Not that I'm being pedantic, you understand.

Originally posted by Krichton
                      I really don't know where you are getting all this from. I have never even referenced film at all for you to even have an opinion on what I think of the medium.
                      See above.

@ chocolate_muffin - Neverwhere is ace. Do you twitter, cos Gaiman is prolific and interesting to follow?
                      sigpic

Comment

I am now in between books. I have no idea what to read next.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                          I am now in between books. I have no idea what to read next.
                          Read any Jasper Fforde? I really enjoyed his Thursday Next books, and you can take a look at them here... Clickety click...
                          sigpic

Comment

Read any Jasper Fforde? I really enjoyed his Thursday Next books, and you can take a look at them here... Clickety click...
                            I have the "Thursday next" on my to read shelf. I have already read "The Fourth Bear". Awesome books. I want to read them all.
                            no means no, and so does pepper spray
                            Sig by The Carpenter
                            sigpic

Comment

I love Thursday Next. I have the whole series. Started some crime novel thing, found it at the library sale for 25 cents and so far it is not worth much more.
                              sigpic

Comment

Ah... dredging the thread allowed me to find this. Not that I'm being pedantic, you understand.

See above.

@ chocolate_muffin - Neverwhere is ace. Do you twitter, cos Gaiman is prolific and interesting to follow?

That statement does not in any way suggest that I think films are the "definitive form of media." You've created an imaginary argument which you are the sole debater.

Comment

Working...
                                X