Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get fantasy perfectly. That wasn't even what my post was about.

Comment

Originally posted by Isolde View Post
      Love Nix, think Meyer is just... just... How the hell did the woman get published when absolutely nothing happens in the books at all? And they are not well written, so while I'm on my soapbox, J K Rowling? Did they ever use an editor on her work?
      Love Nix, love Rowling. But Meyer...yeah, I don't get how she got published b/c THERE IS NO PLOT!!!
      "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
      sigpic
      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Ahhh, hmmm. Jack Ryan, will have to look that up and find those books.

Also, that's cause you're a GIRLBOT! lol, messing.

lol, yes, I've read Martin's series as well and didn't see what the big fuss is about. Don't understand the whole "gritty" rage. I prefer a balance of emotions and especially humour. My own personal tastes. I've read all the Wheel of Time series as well. The last few were really slow where a bunch of nothing happens. But the last two books were pretty awesome. Don't know why there's not more of Mat.
        Spoiler:
        I hope with the whole Egwene story out of the way, we get more of Mat. He made up fake alibi personalities right before a mission, that was so hilarious and priceless.

I really like Sanderson's works though. Will finish his trilogies eventually. Malazaan's getting a bit hard to read, and I'm only on the first book. Heard Prince of Nothing trilogy is a great philosophical work, so gonna read that too eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
          I get fantasy perfectly. That wasn't even what my post was about.
          I know, I just wanted to clarify your position and see if it was just a dislike of LoTR and Song? If you really want to dive into the depths of the generic, and writers who rinse and repeat, I suggest you try David Eddings. The first set of books, The Belgariad, were awesome, the second, okay-much-of-a-muchness, and the rest of his stuff...? Sweet gods, does the man only have one idea to thrash to death? Heinlein is another, a SF great who had one idea and beat it till it bled - and Stranger in a Strange Land is a seminal piece, as far as I'm concerned, right up there with Dune.

@ Mimzy: Self-obsessed emo vamps, and pouting teenagers who need a decent slap are not a romance. I am ashamed to say I watched New Moon because Chris Heyerdahl was in it, and pretty much slipped into a coma. But I still think Rowling needed editing, and lost her way too damn much, and I can't forgive her for the overuse of the suffix 'ly'. That's lazy writing, and so are too many gerunds.
          sigpic

Comment

@ Mimzy: Self-obsessed emo vamps, and pouting teenagers who need a decent slap are not a romance. I am ashamed to say I watched New Moon because Chris Heyerdahl was in it, and pretty much slipped into a coma. But I still think Rowling needed editing, and lost her way too damn much, and I can't forgive her for the overuse of the suffix 'ly'. That's lazy writing, and so are too many gerunds.
            To each her own, I guess...although Rowling at least knew how to write PLOT. And was good at it too, especially with integrating very small elements that you'd think have no significance into later events. I was tricked every time. Never figured out that the random diary in book 2 was actually going to be THAT important later on, nor did I figure out that the reference to the portkey at the beginning of book 4 was actually going to tie in to the end of the Triwizard tournament. In terms of plot, that's pretty clever. But of course, this says absoutely NOTHING about grammar...

But as for Meyer...great at descriptive imagery. But when you're describing NOTHING, then it goes way overboard. If she was trying to describe something interesting, then all those adjectives might have worked. But I do not care about Edward's "scintillating arms" or whatever. Really
            sigpic
            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
              But of course, this says absoutely NOTHING about grammar...

But as for Meyer...great at descriptive imagery. But when you're describing NOTHING, then it goes way overboard. If she was trying to describe something interesting, then all those adjectives might have worked. But I do not care about Edward's "scintillating arms" or whatever. Really
              Or whether he looks great in beige? As if anyone could look good in beige and slacks...
              sigpic

Comment

Or whether he looks great in beige? As if anyone could look good in beige and slacks...
                I KNOW!!! She spent all this time describing "oh, look, it's raining" or Edward's clothes/hair/body/eyes, or the fact that Bella had to go brush her teeth and change into pajamas...like, really?! I cannot wrap my mind around the fact that people actually think the books are interesting and addicting! They're full of extraneous descriptions!!!
                sigpic
                Sig by ME!!!

Comment

All the stuff I've ever learned about writing creatively has told me 'that scene you love, and think is so freaking awesome, over the kitchen sink...? Delete! NOW!' Pity the woman hasn't been to a few lessons or tried to learn that on her own, not to mention using her books as a method to proselytize? Bleh... Sticks in my craw.
                  sigpic

Comment

Bella couldn't tell she had chains on the truck and she was driving it. That is pretty hard not to notice. I think I skipped over large portions of boring bits reading Twilight.
                    sigpic

Comment

And I STILL don't understand the sparkling thing. Lame attempt at "fantasy"...
                      sigpic
                      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

HOLY CRAP DEATHLY HALLOWS TRAILER amazing

Comment

And I STILL don't understand the sparkling thing. Lame attempt at "fantasy"...
                          Sparkle for me Eddy, sparkle. *gags* A limping attempt to re-work the whole vampire sun thing. Eddy writhing in pain much more interesting.

Just started Temple of the Winds.
                          sigpic

Comment

Y'know, it would've been simpler if she just said "oh, the whole burning up thing is a myth. nothing happens when we go out in the sun" or whatever. B/c even that makes more sense that sparkling. I mean, they did that on Sanctuary and it worked perfectly fine. Sometimes going out on a limb is good and other times it just doesn't work...
                            sigpic
                            Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                              Sparkle for me Eddy, sparkle. *gags* A limping attempt to re-work the whole vampire sun thing. Eddy writhing in pain much more interesting.
                              Couldn't agree more with you... Pointless. Eddy writhing in pain, and written well, would be much, much more interesting.

Btw, if we're talking superb vampire story, Let the Right One In. Stunning piece of work, and so beautifully written I am in awe, plus the film - not this remake everyone is clamouring over - was both magical, and horrible, even if they did kinda gloss over the true reason the man is looking after Eli. If you haven't read it or seen the Swedish version then you should.
                              Last edited by Isolde; 01 July 2010, 01:54 AM. Reason: Because I am a spanner...
                              sigpic

Comment

Just finished Outbound Flight.
                                Spoiler:
                                Sure, it's a massively bittersweet/downer ending, but by was it ever fun getting there.
                                My one major qualm with the story was that Obi-wan and Anakin's involvement was totally tacked on. I mean, is the Anakin:Jorus :: Luke:Joruus parallel really that important?
                                Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                                The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                                I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                                A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                                That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                                Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                                Caboose: They could be worse?
                                Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
                                X