Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reading Blood Trail by Tanya Huff. Murder mystery w/ vampires and werewovles.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm struggling thru 1984 and Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy. Both of these have been tough reads.

Comment

Has anyone read "Dayworld" by Philip Jose Farmer?
        no means no, and so does pepper spray
        Sig by The Carpenter
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
          I'm struggling thru 1984 and Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy. Both of these have been tough reads.
          I breezed through Hitchhikers.
          sigpic

Comment

It doesn't start off well. The first 20 pages is very boring.

Comment

I'm about to re-start Shadowmancer by G.P. Taylor. I started it about 2 years ago but again, I had to return it to the library and never finished I really hope it's as amazing as it's been made out to be...I do like the kind of fantasy he writes, though, so it should be an interesting read.
              "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
              sigpic
              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Well I think its about time I posted something in this huge thread. My top 3 recommendations: Sword of Truth series, A song of fire and ice series, Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I just finished The Sword of Truth series and I thought it was absolutely amazing. I think Nicci is one of my favorite characters of all time, it has been a while since I've read a book where a character really stands out for me that much.

Before SOT I had read A Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R Martin, and it was also great. I can't decide which series I like better though, probably because they are quite different.

I'm thinking about starting the Wheel of Time series. I know it is going to be a lot different from SOT. Maybe someone who's read both can give me an opinion.
                sigpic

Comment

I've read all 3 series and SOT is easily my favorite. I couldn't even listen to Fellowship of hte Ring on audio it was so boring. Goodkind has a knack for creating lovable characters. I'm sure alot of ppl hated Nicci originally and now alot of ppl share your sentiment. I ended up falling in love with virtually every single character from Kahlan all the way to Warren.

Comment

Yea he definitely does an excellent job in creating excellent characters. I think they are all interesting in their own way. Not many books really give you that much insight on how each main character thinks and their reasoning for their actions. Goodkind definitely succeeded in doing this.
                    sigpic

Comment

Some good books I've read recently:

"Agent to the stars" by John Scalzi
                      "By schizm rent asunder" by David Weber
                      "Night of Knives" by Ian C. Esslemont, this book is set in the same universe as Steven Eriksons "Malazen" series.

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
                        Well I think its about time I posted something in this huge thread. My top 3 recommendations: Sword of Truth series, A song of fire and ice series, Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I just finished The Sword of Truth series and I thought it was absolutely amazing. I think Nicci is one of my favorite characters of all time, it has been a while since I've read a book where a character really stands out for me that much.

Before SOT I had read A Song of Fire and Ice series by George R.R Martin, and it was also great. I can't decide which series I like better though, probably because they are quite different.

I'm thinking about starting the Wheel of Time series. I know it is going to be a lot different from SOT. Maybe someone who's read both can give me an opinion.
                        Personally I'm a WoT fan. I love the series and the characters so much I read them continuously. I have read SoT and liked it 10 years ago, but when I tried to re-read it I couldn't get into it again for some reason. I didn't care for ASoIaF though.
                        sigpic

Comment

I dunno if this counts for fantasy/scifi, but I just saw the movie trailer for The Lovely Bones and now I REALLY want to read the book!
                          "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
                          sigpic
                          Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Started the Forever War the other night.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
                              I dunno if this counts for fantasy/scifi, but I just saw the movie trailer for The Lovely Bones and now I REALLY want to read the book!
                              I thought it was one of the worst books I ever read. Definately top 2. If the book ends up being a faithful adaptation of the book I could see Peter Jackson's career going straight down the toilet.

Comment

My sister started reading " The time travelers wife", I'm guessing because the movie is coming out soon.

Interesting story, but not my cup of tea.

Comment

Working...
                                X