Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krichton View Post
    The animated film is actually quite infantile in alot of respects but the general plot was pretty accurate until the end that is. Which was sanitized by the Disney cleanup crew.
    Yeah...for all it's Disneyness, I love it, but it gets too syrupy at times, and the ending is definitely not as powerful as the ending in the 2003 version. The magic in the Disney one is a bit too happy-happy and forced...I dunno how to really describe it, but the book has this more serious magical sense to it that I think the later movie captured much better.

Anyway, I went to the library today and got started (or re-started...b/c I've read the book before, years ago) on the 2nd book in The Unicorn Chronicles, Song of the Wanderer, which is just as good (or even better) than I remember it, and is incredibly superior to the 1st book. It's obviously written simply enough for kids, but the underlying plot is engaging enough to keep older readers interested.

I also checked out P.D. James' The Children of Men. I've seen the movie (which I LOVE, and coincidentally, Amanda Tapping does too LOL ), but I've never read the book, so I wanted to check it out. The movie was seriously one of the few movies that actually brought me to tears.
    "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
    sigpic
    Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
      Yeah...for all it's Disneyness, I love it, but it gets too syrupy at times, and the ending is definitely not as powerful as the ending in the 2003 version. The magic in the Disney one is a bit too happy-happy and forced...I dunno how to really describe it, but the book has this more serious magical sense to it that I think the later movie captured much better.

Anyway, I went to the library today and got started (or re-started...b/c I've read the book before, years ago) on the 2nd book in The Unicorn Chronicles, Song of the Wanderer, which is just as good (or even better) than I remember it, and is incredibly superior to the 1st book. It's obviously written simply enough for kids, but the underlying plot is engaging enough to keep older readers interested.

I also checked out P.D. James' The Children of Men. I've seen the movie (which I LOVE, and coincidentally, Amanda Tapping does too LOL ), but I've never read the book, so I wanted to check it out. The movie was seriously one of the few movies that actually brought me to tears.
      I absolutely LOVE the movie Children of Men as well- but don't expect the book to be anything like it, they are VERY different. And I think that the movie is A LOT better, I actually didn't like the book very much.

One of those rare cases.

Comment

If the movie is ALOT better than the book, then the book is probably a waste of time. If the reviews on amazon are any indication then my theory is on the money.

Comment

Well, I want to read it anyway, just to see
          "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
          sigpic
          Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Just finished reading "Rainbows End" by Vernor Vinge. This book may not be as good as "A deepness in the sky" or "Fire upon the deep" but it is still very good and well worth reading.

I also recently finished reading "Red seas under red skies" by Scott Lynch which is a sequel to "The lies of Locke Lamora". I highly recommend both of those books.

Comment

At the moment I'm reading "Elric: The Stealer of Souls" and Stormbringer" they are part of Elric of Melinbone by Micheal Moorcock. I quite enjoy these books.

Comment

i'm reading ender's game at the moment, and because there are so many sequals and spin off's i don't know what to read next!!

i could read Ender's Shadow, Speaker for the Dead, or the new "true sequal" Ender in Exile... anyone have any suggestions?
                Spoiler:
                Disclaimer:
                I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
                Quotes!
                - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
                - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
                - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
                sigpic

Comment

I'm on the next Wheel of Time book
                  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
                  ---
                  sigpic

Comment

Currently reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It's really rather good.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
                      Currently reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It's really rather good.
                      I'm DYING to read that book. I'm hold #1 for the library and have been for months but it's still on order.....I might just have to buy it from Amazon instead.

I just started Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, again.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                        I'm DYING to read that book. I'm hold #1 for the library and have been for months but it's still on order.....I might just have to buy it from Amazon instead.

I just started Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, again.
                        I got mine off amazon. Witty repartee interspersed with zombies.
                        sigpic

Comment

I got mine off amazon. Witty repartee interspersed with zombies.
                          Yup. I read the first chapter in chapters a few weeks ago.....

*sigh* I'm hold number ONE out of FOURTY-SIX. But this is taking forever.

Comment

Yup. I read the first chapter in chapters a few weeks ago.....

*sigh* I'm hold number ONE out of FOURTY-SIX. But this is taking forever.
                            Slow readers
                            sigpic

Comment

Slow readers
                              Haha, no. Slow system. The book is still ON ORDER.

Comment

Haha, no. Slow system. The book is still ON ORDER.
                                Oh man they don't even have it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X