Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Espeon1962 View Post
    There is no more comfortable a friend then that of an old favourite book(s) to reread!
    I agree

I'm definitely not a kid anymore (at least age-wise ) but I love re-reading my Narnia books. LOL
    "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
    sigpic
    Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Espeon1962 View Post
      Some other recommendations are the "Vorkosigan Series" by Lois McMaster Bujold and the Honor Harrington Series by David Weber.

I am tempted to suggest that you read the Vorkosigan series even before the Zelazny series. The Vorkosigan series employs all the elements of comedy, drama and action that any action oriented scifi fan could desire, and has won tons of awards, I think 5 Hugos and Nebulas each.

I have several thousand books in my library, and I am never at a loss for words when discussing favorites and recommendations.

Funnily enough, having just plowed my way again through some old favorites on the scifi side, it then led me to my old copies of the Hornblower series by CS Forester, and having eaten all those up again for the umpteenth time, I am now commencing to enjoy once again Aubry series by Patrick O'Brian.

There is no more comfortable a friend then that of an old favorite book(s) to reread!
      Adds to the list.

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
      I agree

I'm definitely not a kid anymore (at least age-wise ) but I love re-reading my Narnia books. LOL

In college I pulled out my favorite kids books to read during exams. They saved my sanity.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
        In college I pulled out my favorite kids books to read during exams. They saved my sanity.
        Hmmm...maybe I should do that next schoolyear...lolz
        sigpic
        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Hmmm...maybe I should do that next schoolyear...lolz
          It worked really well as brain could no longer take in new info. I knew the story, I knew I liked it and I could relax reading it and not think about all the other stuff.

Goodnight.
          sigpic

Comment

Adds to the list.

LOL, if I had ever done that during any of my studies, I would never have graduated with anything. Once I start a book good luck getting my attention.

And Goodnight Iffy!
            ---------------------
            sigpic
            Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

ONe Fantasy Trilogy I liked was... cant think of the name but the books are THe Eyes of God, The Black Armor, and The Sword of Angels. Although... I haven't really read the last one yet
              Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
              ---
              sigpic

Comment

Haven't read the last one yet, hmmmm.

In my experience, the best books are the ones where I can't finish the series fast enough!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                  Haven't read the last one yet, hmmmm.

In my experience, the best books are the ones where I can't finish the series fast enough!
                  But at the same time you don't want it to end.
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh, I know that feeling all-too well...
                    sigpic
                    Sig by ME!!!

Comment

So true. The same cycle of a good trilogy. Fly through book 1 as fast as you can, go fast through book 2 but maybe a little slower and then carefully read every work in book 3 with no skimming to make it last.

Been there!
                      sigpic

Comment

I'm still reeling in shock from the fact that Harry Potter actually finished...lol I've grown up with it and it's weird not having a new book come out every few years (Beedle the Bard does not count. lol)
                        sigpic
                        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I'm still reeling in shock from the fact that Harry Potter actually finished...lol I've grown up with it and it's weird not having a new book come out every few years (Beedle the Bard does not count. lol)
                          I'm still hoping we get some post Hogwart's books one of these days. Around the time she finished book 6 she said in an interview that she wasn't completely ruling out doing more Harry Potter books after she was done, but she would take some time.
                          sigpic

Comment

Oh, I know that feeling all-too well...
                            It's a familar one for me too.

I'm reading on the last book in the Thursday Next series.
                            sigpic

Comment

I can't believe Garth Nix is almost done with The Keys to the Kingdom Where has the time gone? agh!
                              sigpic
                              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
                                So true. The same cycle of a good trilogy. Fly through book 1 as fast as you can, go fast through book 2 but maybe a little slower and then carefully read every work in book 3 with no skimming to make it last.

Been there!
                                Weird how book two is the one that is read more slowly isn't it.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X