Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book Discussion/Appreciation Anyone..??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mimzy View Post
    I was just in the bookstore the other day and was wandering around...to my dismay I found myself face-to-face with a crapload of vampire-fantasy Twilight imitation novels *runs*
    Vampires are ala mode these days.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Iffy View Post
      Vampires are ala mode these days.
      It's not the vampire lit that I mind so much. It's the way it's written... Especially the teen stuff...
      "YOU'RE EASIER THAN THE U.S. CONGRESS."~Nikola
      sigpic
      Sig by ME!!!

Comment

I was just in the bookstore the other day and was wandering around...to my dismay I found myself face-to-face with a crapload of vampire-fantasy Twilight imitation novels *runs*
        Well, there were rumours, that this book was a copy of the another person's idea for the plot.
        '- Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!
        - Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth.
        - Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?
        - Yes.
        [long pause] - Friend!!'

Comment

Originally posted by diana6echo View Post
          Well, there were rumours, that this book was a copy of the another person's idea for the plot.
          It does happen, can't remember her name, but she plagarized large portions of one R.J Stewart Stewarts books.

It's not the vampire lit that I mind so much. It's the way it's written... Especially the teen stuff...
          some of the adult stuff is not much better.
          sigpic

Comment

It does happen, can't remember her name, but she plagarized large portions of one R.J Stewart Stewarts books.
            It's hard to be original these days, tho recipe on Twilight vampires IMO is very cheesy :]

some of the adult stuff is not much better.
            Agree. I used to like, almost love, Feliks W. Kres's Prawo S?pów (in English it should be: Law of vultures) - a very dark and cruel fantasy story, which, after few years, I think is so lame
            '- Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!
            - Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth.
            - Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?
            - Yes.
            [long pause] - Friend!!'

Comment

Originally posted by diana6echo View Post
              It's hard to be original these days, tho recipe on Twilight vampires IMO is very cheesy :]

Agree. I used to like, almost love, Feliks W. Kres's Prawo S?pów (in English it should be: Law of vultures) - a very dark and cruel fantasy story, which, after few years, I think is so lame
              In many ways it's not even that Twilight for example is unoriginal, it's just not well written, the characters are wooden and cliche. It's just not a well written novel.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Espeon1962 View Post
                OMG - have not read Starship Troopers in so loongg! Probably not even in my library anymore but packed away in a bin. Just seeing the title makes me want to go digging around for it. Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert Henlein is very good, although again it has been "many" (and I wont tell how many but it is a lot) years since I read that as well.
                Pretty long though! It was my first "big" sci-fi read and it took me a while. Definitely worth it. Funny story! I read (online ) that apparently Heinlein and L. Rob Hubbard had a bet to see who could make a religion people would follow IRL. Heinlein created The Church Of All Worlds in SiaSL and Hubbard wrote whatever he did in Dianetics (right book?) and subsequently refused to deny it was fiction. Sounds kinda funky, but if it's true
                L. Ron Hubbard: The world's second ever troll? Discuss.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Yes, I did not want to denigrate any work when I made my recommendations about the Thomas Covenant chronicles, but the point I was trying to subtly get across was that virtually all of the fantasy I have looked at in the last few years is substantially inferior and if a discerning eye were to cast its gaze a little further - et voila! - they might find superbly written work such as these for their reading pleasure.
                  ---------------------
                  sigpic
                  Another theory on the expansion of the universe collapses!

Comment

Yes, I did not want to denigrate any work when I made my recommendations about the Thomas Covenant chronicles, but the point I was trying to subtly get across was that virtually all of the fantasy I have looked at in the last few years is substantially inferior and if a discerning eye were to cast its gaze a little further - et voila! - they might find superbly written work such as these for their reading pleasure.
                    Both Anne Bishop and Jaqueline Carey put out excellent books as of late. Even if people read crap at least they are reading.
                    sigpic

Comment

I;ve looked at Zelazny's work before but never bought any. Too many books so little time. and new books just keep being printed. Too many!
                      See my other comment just posted Iffy, but I would add that while there may be many new books, quantity does not equal quality. At least weekly I walk into the bookstore to peruse the releases in scifi and fantasy, and I dispair at the poor offerings. Most of it is really bad; poorly written fluff and just ripping off work already done, but succeeding due to marketing and internet hype.

Make time for the Zelazny series, you will find it worth your while. If you don't have time for a whole series, here is a recommendation of a single book that has satisfied everyone who has ever read it:

"The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman
                      ---------------------
                      sigpic

Comment

In many ways it's not even that Twilight for example is unoriginal, it's just not well written, the characters are wooden and cliche. It's just not a well written novel.
                        Exactly!! I don't really have a problem with the plot. It's just that I hate the way that it's written.

And he GLITTERS?!
                        sigpic
                        Sig by ME!!!

Comment

See my other comment just posted Iffy, but I would add that while there may be many new books, quantity does not equal quality. At least weekly I walk into the bookstore to peruse the releases in scifi and fantasy, and I dispair at the poor offerings. Most of it is really bad; poorly written fluff and just ripping off work already done, but succeeding due to marketing and internet hype.

Make time for the Zelazny series, you will find it worth your while. If you don't have time for a whole series, here is a recommendation of a single book that has satisfied everyone who has ever read it:

"The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman

Very true but that's across the board in fiction and non-fiction. There is a lot of stuff out there that get's published that never ever should. It makes the rare gems even more special.

Zelazny has been bumped up on the reading list.
                          sigpic

Comment

Exactly!! I don't really have a problem with the plot. It's just that I hate the way that it's written.

And he GLITTERS?!
                            He's sparkley!!!!! *gags*
                            sigpic

Comment

He's sparkley!!!!! *gags*

I like Nikola Tesla much better Although in real life he wasn't really a vampire...

Still, he's fascinating

And since I've developed an obsession with said person I thought this book looked interesting:
                              The Invention of Everything Else
                              sigpic
                              Sig by ME!!!

Comment

Some other recommendations are the "Vorkosigan Series" by Lois McMaster Bujold and the Honor Harrington Series by David Weber.

I am tempted to suggest that you read the Vorkosigan series even before the Zelazny series. The Vorkosigan series employs all the elements of comedy, drama and action that any action oriented scifi fan could desire, and has won tons of awards, I think 5 Hugos and Nebulas each.

I have several thousand books in my library, and I am never at a loss for words when discussing favorites and recommendations.

Funnily enough, having just plowed my way again through some old favorites on the scifi side, it then led me to my old copies of the Hornblower series by CS Forester, and having eaten all those up again for the umpteenth time, I am now commencing to enjoy once again Aubry series by Patrick O'Brian.

There is no more comfortable a friend then that of an old favorite book(s) to reread!
                                Last edited by Espeon1962; 13 May 2009, 06:15 PM. Reason: I keep on lapsing between British and American spelling on certain words!
                                ---------------------
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X